<August 2014>
17181920212223
pgreen6840's Blog
To carb or not to carb
  Tonite as I am typing this I am really overwhelmed with stress and feeling a strong almost craving for some carbs to crank up the serotonin.  Knowing myself I am consciously CHOOSING not to eat any non essential carbs as in the end it will not change my situation. One of my kids is bi-polar and she is tragically and not her fault spiraling around and may need hospitalization. Not so easy to do when one is half a continent away. If anyone is familiar with this mental illness it is one MF !  She was in a car accident ( not her fault) and the results have left her with chronic pain and need for steriods, pain management meds and really incapacitated with a day to day prognosis. So , juggling this mess and her psych meds has become overwhelming for her. Ahhh, like I always Philospohize " little children ,little problems, big children ( or adult children ) RUN for your life ! So the last 2 days have been increasingly stressful ; hopefully tomorrow he doctor will decide if hospitalization will be necessary !
  I know that the old eating habits will not resolve this problem nor help my sense of serenity; probably will be contraproductive  probably, hell !it will oral suicide .  I am hungry ;but need to be careful how and when I eat.  Maybe I will make a omlette with some butter and cheese. For me I must appreciate I am not in a state of feeling deprived and that leads to resentments and THEN...... So what I choose to eat must be satisfying and also healthy .
 Enough, I am glad I shared this . As we say ,the only out of the pain is to go through it , even if that mean without our old coping drugs of choice.

Thanks for listening and if you are brave enough sharing your reflections

Published Sunday, August 10, 2014 09:08 PM by pgreen6840
Filed Under: Induction, Weight Loss, Cravings / Problem foods, Personal observations & lessons learned
Comments
jtchip said:
Phil, so sorry to hear about your daughter and her issues. I will keep her in my prayers. If you start eating carbs, you know this is only a temporary fix and you will feel worse after the indulgence. Make yourself that omlette and enjoy it and then go to bed! I will also keep you in my prayers too. Hopefully your daughter's doctor will be able to help her tomorrow and she will have some relief.
August 10, 2014 10:11 PM EST
Friend11 said:
I too will keep her and you in my prayers. At least if she is hospitalized you can rest knowing she is in a safe place. As for the need to snack, if you have heavy cream and cream cheese, try making a dessert by mixing the two with a splendra and a tbsp of coca powder. It's not as healthy as an omelette but it might make your serotonin happy. Best to you.
August 10, 2014 10:22 PM EST
suxesss said:
I have an adult son with similar psych needs, low carb high fat actually helps--that came from another blogger I spoke with yesterday, sited from a Penn State study. I need to google and research it for myself. Might do you good to see if what you are doing for you might indeed help her. My go to comfort food--home made cinnamon "roll." A low carb tortilla warmed with a dollop of cream cheese. Sprinkle cinnamon and trace amount of truvia or stevia. Roll it up and eat it or roll it up and lay on a plate and drizzle warm butter on it and eat with a knife and fork. Can count the small tortilla as 9 total carbs or 3 net carbs. Flavorful, doughy, chewy--helps with a bread craving fix. So glad you posted. Take care. I wish you and your family whole hearted suxess ; )
August 10, 2014 10:49 PM EST
being-there said:
I'm sorry for your daughter's troubles - she certainly had a big enough load on her plate without the accident and chronic pain. It sounds as though the situation is very tense right now, with the question of hospitalization pending. Not to make light of this situation in any way, but it brings to mind the elements of patience and trust that are tested during the weight loss journey. You have to wait to find out the doctor's decision, trust that everything will work out for the best. You are too far away to be of much help in this situation, which must be very frustrating and clearly very worrying. I hope everything is in a better state by Monday, meanwhile, eating something fatty may be of help with the "almost" craving.
August 10, 2014 11:36 PM EST
tracygern said:
I can't imagine how it feels to be so far away from a child when they are going through something so serious. But I am really impressed by your understanding and resolve: food is the thing we want to turn to, but it is only counter productive in the end. I hope you were able to find something satisfying and nutritious to eat and found some peace in sleep. Let us know how she is doing. *hugs*
August 11, 2014 08:12 AM EST
crisbear said:
Hang in there. Some days it just rains on your parade. You seem to have a good handle on the emotional eating stuff. Lots of people here care about you and your success. I find the heavy cream and sugar free jello help me with carb cravings. Also it seems silly but if I exercise when I just want to eat my foot so hungry the hunger and cravings go away quicker. You would think with more activity you would get more hungry but it seems to work the opposite. I hope things work out ok with your child. There is so little support for mental illness in the States. At least she does have a doctor and hopefully he will do the right things for her. Let us know how things are going. Lots here for you.
August 11, 2014 09:35 AM EST
deadendroad said:
I hope all turns out for the positive! You are oh, so right: Grown children often seem to give us so much more to worry about than the little ones. That being said, worry is not the answer! I am not one to preach, though. I, too, want to "comfort myself" with food that is not good for me when I am going through rough times. Or, as you say..when ones we love are going through rough times!
August 11, 2014 10:30 AM EST
Jeddogirl1 said:
I am so sorry that you're going through such a hard time Phil! My son has autism and bipolar, and we have been having some incidents of swearing and violent behavior that could have ended up with me having him arrested for assault. It's so hard when you can't just fix things for your child! Sending hugs to you and will pray that the meds can stabilize your daughter's mood. Nancy
August 11, 2014 10:44 AM EST
PeggyBundy45 said:
My son has a traumatic brain injury. He has good days and bad days. On those bad days, I just get so anxious and want to binge on anything I can find. It is so hard to diet, but the stress of your child that is hurt or disabled in some way is just overwhelming at times. We just have to take it one day at a time. God Bless.
August 11, 2014 01:54 PM EST
Mtnview515 said:
I hope your daughter gets the help she needs for her health and yours as well. As for your carb issues I know how you like to embrace the Mediterranean cuisine, I would have some nice stuffed olives and cheese, a nice glass of red wine, a wasa cracker with some hummus or a slice of tomato served with olive oil and thinly sliced salmon. Make it and elegant evening and forget about what is going and just enjoy
August 11, 2014 09:40 PM EST
hamiltondude said:
Sorry to hear this Phil. I hope they can get things manageable for your daughter. HFLC eating will keep you full and sated for long periods of time which should help cancel out any emotional or binge eating. Just keep praying that the good Lord has this under control for you. Take care brother!
August 12, 2014 11:52 AM EST
wandern said:
Phil, Stress eating has gotten most if not all of us into our present situation. You are wise to recognize the urge, and block it, either by consciously choosing to make and eat something good for you, or replacing the urge to eat with one to walk, or perform a different activity that isn't eating. Feeling helpless to help a loved one is challenging. I hope you can find ways to feel like you are helping her from afar, and that she can accept, and appreciate. Be creative. Keep that eye on the stress eating. Why is it never stress-weight-lifting, or stress elliptical, or stress protein?!
August 14, 2014 08:53 PM EST
ptapney said:
Ugh. Well, it is good to know, days later that things are moving in the right direction. I cannot image being far away from my children. I had a child with special needs (he passed 6 years ago) and understand the feelings of inadequacy and how we deal with it, along with the fact that we are not longer "dealing" by eating the wrong things and even too much of the right things.
August 18, 2014 09:41 AM EST