<September 2013>
15161718192021
The Perfect Diet or The Perfect Diet for You?

In the world of weight loss, one-size-does not fit-all. Whether or a not a diet works for you or the person next to you depends greatly on your willingness to embrace that way of eating as a lifestyle.

In an editorial in the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA), Dr. Sherry Pagoto and Dr. Brad Appelhans analyzed numerous meta-analyses of various diets. According to the Dr. Pagoto, the only consistent finding among the studies is that adherence—the degree to which participants continued in the program or met program goals for diet and physical activity—was most strongly associated with weight loss and improvement in disease-related outcomes.

In other words, your success at losing weight and keeping it off is most likely determined by how long you stick with the diet. If you lose weight on a quick-fix diet that you stick with temporarily, only to slip back into your old eating habits, your weight loss will be just that—temporary. Whereas if you make permanent, healthy changes in your eating habits, it’s quite likely you will lose the weight and keep it off. While the editorial in JAMA showed that there is not one single “perfect” diet that is guaranteed to work for everyone, what makes Atkins a diet that so many people can have success with is that it teaches you how to balance your carb intake while you continue to lose weight, and then shows you how to transition to a lifestyle that allows you to keep the weight off.

Even in Phase 1, you are able to eat a delicious variety of proteins, healthy fats, and lots of vegetables, and you continue to add to the list of carbohydrate foods as you progress through the various Phases. Your choices on Atkins are tasty and satisfying, whether you are making a low-carb recipe or ordering at your favorite restaurants. If you decide that a low-carb diet like Atkins is the diet for you, it’s quite possible you will have long-term success with this satisfying way of eating.

The power of the Atkins Diet rests on the fact that carbohydrate, in addition to being an energy source, has a potent effect on fat metabolism. Carbohydrate is the major stimulus for insulin release, and insulin potently inhibits the breakdown and promotes storage of fat. In this way, dietary carbohydrate-blocks access to body fat – exactly the opposite outcome desired if body fat mobilization and weight loss are the desired outcomes. However by reducing carbohydrate intake below a level where the insulin response blockades stored body fat, the Atkins Diet enables a unique metabolic state characterized by increased fat burning. You burn the fat you are eating and the fat you have stored on your body. That is why you lose weight and why eating fat does not pose a health risk on Atkins, because you are burning it for fuel when carbs are low enough.

A low carbohydrate diet like Atkins is the perfect diet for me because I have carbohydrate intolerance. When I eat the right amount of carbs for my body, I just feel better, I am not hungry all the time, and my craving are in check. When I go beyond my carbohydrate tolerance I get bloated, retain water, feel sluggish, get sleepy two hours after eating, and I crave sweets all the time. I simply will not let too many carbs bully me ever again.

How about you?

Published Wednesday, September 11, 2013 01:58 PM by colette_heimowitz
Filed Under: Induction, Carb Balance/Carb Intolerance, Weight Loss, Cravings / Problem foods, Personal observations & lessons learned
Comments
eddeewon said:
i am on phrase 1 now for 4 wks.I take insulin. Dr Mary Vernon says insulin stops fat burning and enhance fat storage. So If I stop the insulin I loose weight very good. My question relate to the word Gram of Carbs? Can you tell me what is 12 grams of Broccoli in ounces?I have been weighting 12 Grams of Broccoli in the amount o f12 grams and now it shows It should be about one cup. That is a lot of weight. I am insulin Resistance and must have no more starches in my diet. Thanking you.
September 13, 2013 01:45 PM EST
sharec said:
this is me...you said it perfectly!
September 13, 2013 03:13 PM EST
http://calorielab.com/foods/broccoli/143 check out this link. Why not use www.fitday.com to calculate carbs for you. All you have to do is place the food diary in and it gives you everything you need to know. 1 oz usually corresponds to 28.35 g • 1 pound fresh broccoli = 9 ounces trimmed • 1 pound fresh broccoli = 2 cups chopped • 10 ounces frozen broccoli pieces = 1-1/2 cups chopped • 10 ounces frozen chopped broccoli = 2-1/2 cups chopped
September 13, 2013 04:13 PM EST
jbrun9 said:
Collete, I love the comment about carbs bullying.!!! That fits most of us perfectly. Thanks for your very sound advice. I look forward to reading your blogs. they reach me and help me stay with it.
September 17, 2013 11:50 AM EST
Thanks jbrun. Keep up the good work! You can do this
September 17, 2013 04:48 PM EST
joliemaman said:
Thank you for posting this. This is so me as well. I have lost 140 lbs over the last two year on Atkins. I have another 100 lbs to go. I literally tried every weight loss plan there is before finding Atkins. Living a low carb lifestyle and working out daily are my keys to successful weightloss and management. I have fibromyalgia and have found low-carb living to decrease symptoms and increase my quality of life. Keep these articles coming!
September 23, 2013 10:52 AM EST
porkupine said:
Carb-intolerance describes me to a T. I experience the same symptoms when I have too many carbs, and while on Atkins I have noticed a better ability to focus, and not as tired and sleepy. Thanks for your input!
September 25, 2013 09:18 AM EST
pyanorose said:
Today is the first day back on Atkins for me. Years ago when it first came upon the scene, I did the Atkins diet and lost a lot of weight. Then...yep, fell off. Today at 65+ I am determined to lose and then maintain....I have tried a WHOLE LOT of other diets and none have worked for me. So, I have come back to what worked for me......pyanorose
September 28, 2013 02:44 PM EST
SanDiegoSteve said:
I look at a carb and put on weight. Thank you for explaining this for me. I just started Atkins earlier this week and already have seen a reduction in my belly. I want to lose at least 77 lbs. down to 225, and shrink from there when I get there. I lost 73 lbs. on Nutrisystem, then 60 more on Medifast, only to have the weight come back on after cancer radiation/chemo treatment and heart valve surgery (back-to-back). I am now back to just past the 300 mark, and it is making me sick. I was getting very tired a couple hours after eating a regular meal and needed a nap sometimes. Now I have much more energy I've noticed lately. This diet is perfect for me, as I enjoy meat and protein, and don't miss the carbs too much. I'm sure it will get easier as I go.
September 28, 2013 11:18 PM EST
lbbbaj said:
I am just starting and would like to lose about 20 lbs. I can't find anywhere that says how many carbs I can have to achieve this. Any advice?
October 18, 2013 01:32 PM EST
mahjonggmaven said:
Collette, What can you tell me about hypothyroidism and metabolism? I began Atkins 13 years ago before being diagonosed with hypothyroidism. In 10 months I lost 25 pounds and met my goal of 135 lbs. Kept that off for most of the 13 years. Now I find I'm 10 pounds over my goal weight and am having a hard time loosing it doing Atkins at Phases 2 -3. I've been taking 50mcg levothyroxin for about 4 years now. Can this thyroid problem be affecting my weight loss ability? Mah Jongg Maven
November 07, 2013 12:35 AM EST