<June 2013>
16171819202122
More Research: Low-Carb Works for Long-Term Weight Loss and Heart Health

A new meta-analysis (combining and analyzing the results of different studies) released in the June issue of the British Journal of Nutrition shows that a low-carb diet like Atkins is more effective for long-term weight loss (after the one- and two-year mark) than a conventional low-fat diet. In addition, it showed that a low-carb diet is beneficial and safe for people who are highly insulin resistant and have a higher intolerance to carbs. This is great news, because these are the people who need to keep carb consumption low for the long term to control the insulin resistance and carb intolerance.

In addition, 13 randomized controlled trials showed significantly improved good “HDL” cholesterol, triglycerides and diastolic blood pressure over the low-fat diet. This meta-analysis supports previous findings showing low-carb diets are more effective than low-fat diets, but what’s even more important is that this meta-analysis showcases the efficacy of a diet like Atkins over time.

I am always pleased when new research comes out that supports the efficacy, safety and long-term sustainability of Atkins. So many of you have already experienced these positive benefits; when science continues to show that Atkins is a viable solution for reversing obesity and the risk factors associated with heart disease, hopefully health professionals will see this as a serious option to offer their obese patients as well.

Published Thursday, June 13, 2013 06:18 PM by colette_heimowitz
Filed Under: Carb Balance/Carb Intolerance, Weight Loss, Nutrition
Comments
Golf Gal Cheryl said:
You can count me in as one of those with much improved Lab numbers Colette ...after only 3 months on this plan. My chlosterol was getting very high and my Doc wanted to put me on meds and I said I would like to try some Diet & exercise options first...and it worked!!! The Doc was very surprised after the 3 month tests and wrote "Excellent !!!" on my Lab results and told me to keep doing what I was doing. My blood pressure numbers also came way down and I have reduced my hormone meds and others. YAY... Atkins!!!
June 13, 2013 06:36 PM EST
mcbarb1 said:
I'm 41 lbs down since the end of Jan!! I "have" type 2 Diabites and was in denial for over 5 years. It took my Granddaughter patting my belly to wake me up! I have a cousin and Uncle who lost on Atkins years ago and started researching all I could find about Atkins. After four months, I no longer crave curtain carbs and LOVE the new me. About my test results........ They're fantastic and all are back in the normal range. I just LOVE Atkins! It has saved my life! I feel so different, see a younger, helthier me and plan on living out a long life!! Barb, 61, still have 27 lbs to go, in OWL phase! (BTW the picture of me was taken today!!)
June 13, 2013 07:27 PM EST
stamper66559 said:
I also simply love Atkins. I got blood work results today and everything is in the normal range. My blood sugar dropped from 108 to 89. I don't ever remember it being that low. All my cholesterol numbers were better and so were my liver functions. It has been a great day. So glad that research is showing why this is such a good way of eating.
June 13, 2013 10:10 PM EST
cathyf7 said:
I am a cardiac patient. When I spoke to my PCP about being on Atkins - he said good. My cardiologist mentioned I need to lose weight and when I told him that I was doing Atkins - low carb - he said that was good way to lose. I haven't had my cholestrol level checked in about 3 months - it had improved. Am anxious to see what it is at the next appointment.
June 14, 2013 10:00 AM EST
jbrun9 said:
I have been diabetic for 30+years. Always had difficulty with the diet and my blood sugars. Had not had an AiC under 8 for over two years despite trying to follow a diabetic diet. After 3 months, I have blood sugars under control and reduced insulin from 102-0-75-0 to 50-0-35-0. AIC was 7.1 in March, hope to find it below 7 in July when my next one is due. Atkins does work for some of us much better than the diabetic regime. Hope the professionals begin to see that and more low carb foods become readily available. Thanks Collette for your notes. It helps.
June 15, 2013 11:03 AM EST
hunnypi32 said:
I'm on Atkins for 6 months and I am struggling to lose the weight I follow the plan write down my food I try to excersise but I've only lost 18_21.pounds I fluctuate I have 45 more to go.the good thing so far Is my cholesterol and triglycerides went down and I feel better just frustrated Please help
June 20, 2013 04:55 PM EST
hunnypi32 said:
June 20, 2013 04:56 PM EST
Wazzy said:
Hunnypi - I can relate to your feeling frustrated; I've been stalled or whatever it can be called, for a year. I am still living Atkins, will never go back to my old ways. At least I'm holding at my current weight (lost 70 lbs), but have about 40-50 more to go. I've tried EVERYTHING to try to get losing again, but I'm good and stuck. One thing I need to look at that might help you is to increase my carbs. I keep mine fairly low, about 20-30, and something Collette wrote about awhile back got me thinking that maybe that might help me get losing again. What keeps me from doing it is the tracking. Right now I know exactly what and how much I can eat to keep my carbs at their current low levels and upping them would mean all that work tracking. Good luck! Marti
June 20, 2013 07:40 PM EST