<June 2013>
16171819202122
Less Is Not More on Atkins

Suddenly the days are warmer, and whatever extra pounds you have accumulated over the winter months can no longer be hidden under sweaters and jeans. It is also likely that with the warmer weather, your appetite has also changed. You may want to eat less, and you may be craving different foods. But now is not the time to sabotage your weight loss efforts just because a day at the beach or pool (and the swimsuit that comes with that) is in your near future. Keep in mind that if you start cutting back too much, your weight loss could come to a screeching halt. When you’re on Atkins, it’s important to eat the full amount of recommended net carbs and optimal amount of calories for the Phase you are in. Eating less will make your body want to hold on to every last pound and slow down your metabolism. You want to keep your metabolism humming, while feeding your body a constant stream of nutrients (meats, dairy, fats, fiber-rich vegetables, and more, depending on the Phase you’re in). This will ensure that you remain satisfied and control your hunger while still dropping the pounds. Here’s how you can do this, even when the heat is on:

--Small, frequent meals: If the thought of the standard breakfast-lunch-dinner schedule you’ve been following in the winter months just seems too “heavy”, try eating a smaller 200-calorie mini-meal every two to three hours, with the goal of taking in a minimum of 1,500 calories by the end of the day. This will keep your metabolism steadily burning calories from each meal, while preventing sudden drops in blood sugar.

--Water: When the heat is on, it’s easy to become dehydrated. And, ironically, when you are dehydrated, your body tries to hold on to whatever water is in your body, leading to water retention, which, of course, may affect how your clothes fit. This may naturally lead you to think you need to eat less or even drink less. Not so fast. Make sure you’re drinking eight 8-ounce glasses of water a day. The water will keep you cool, flush out toxins and prevent dehydration.

--Food choices: More vegetables than ever are coming in season, and now that the weather is better, you can also grill outside. Enjoy grilled chicken, fish, steak and more. Slice it and pile it on top of a salad with the freshest vegetables. Enjoy quick snacks of chilled chicken, egg or shrimp salad wrapped in a romaine lettuce leave. Boil up a batch of hard-boiled eggs for a quick protein-packed snack, and keep plenty of cut-up veggies on hand to dip in salad dressing.

Published Thursday, June 06, 2013 03:12 PM by colette_heimowitz
Filed Under: Induction, Nutrition, Personal observations & lessons learned
Comments
minou8797 said:
Hi Colette
I love your blog..I have been on Atkins for 33 days, but I have been having problem getting to 1500 calories and 20 NC....I usually manage around 14-15 NC and around 1000-1100 calories...Funny thing I never had a hard time before hitting the 2000 calories when I was eating carbs...
I am pretty sure this is the reason that I am not losing a lot of weight, so far 12 pounds but about 12 inches as well...I am not dissapointed, but I would have wish a little bit more by now....but I must admit that I have no cravings whatsoever, and most of the time I am full.

BTW, my sister name was Colette as well, she passed away in 1999 at 49 years old, I miss her a lot..
June 06, 2013 03:54 PM EST
kachinaedgmon said:
I would like to clarify...
"...and now that the weather is better, you can also grill outside."
Some of us are grilling nuts and grill in the snow. Who needs warmth? Stand by the grill. haha

Have a great day. :)
June 06, 2013 04:27 PM EST
stamper66559 said:
We just bought a new grill and am getting ready to grill out this weekend. It has been raining so much here, that I haven't been able to use it yet. Dreaming of some good pork steaks!! For some reason, I just love them on the grill. Probably because they do have fat running through them and it makes them extra tastey.
June 06, 2013 09:34 PM EST
vkell said:
I'm a snow, hail, downpour, golf umbrella in one hand, tongs in the other griller haha! I have been doing the mini meals, its the only way I eat without forgetting to....and I even set alarms on my cell phone... :)
June 07, 2013 01:32 AM EST
Hi Minou... it is easy to get the calories up to 1500 with additional fat. Just add a pat of butter, or a TBSP of olive oil, or some olives and you are almost there. More vegetables will get your crabs up as well, and will help sweep out your intestines with the additional fiber. You may even see the scale move a little faster. Keep up the good work!

Sorry about your sister, I lost my kid brother when he was in his late twenties more than 25 years ago. A day does not pass when I don't like of him . Love never dies.
June 07, 2013 10:34 AM EST
rlst64 said:
I have an Atkins shake and an ounce of cheese for breakfast. Do I need to eat more for breakfast? If so what do you suggest? It has to be fast to make! I am in induction. Thanks
June 09, 2013 10:47 PM EST
michaelkotoff said:
Same here. What's fast?
June 10, 2013 12:35 PM EST
maryl54 said:
Same here... I normally don't eat breakfast as I leave for work at 4am and I seriously don't like eggs... by 10 o'clock I am starving. Any help with a breakfast idea will be greatly appreciated. I am on induction
June 11, 2013 09:12 AM EST
mcbarb1 said:
For "breakfast" I love Atkin meal bars! My favorite is the Chocolate Chip Granola Bar, net 3 carbs and 16G Protein! This staves off the hunger after a night of not eating! Also I take some celery and spread salmon cream chese on it! I dip in whole flax seeds (and add them to every thing I eat) to keep evrything moving!!

At 10 or 10:30 I eat a hand ful of nuts! This is good for phase 2 OWL. 40 lbs down in 4 months!!
June 11, 2013 01:44 PM EST