<May 2013>
19202122232425
Don’t Let Success Get the Best of You

Say you’re 5 or 10 pounds from your goal weight; the end is in sight, and you’re closer than ever to achieving what you’ve worked so hard for. Then the pounds start creeping back on; before you know it, that magic number that was so close is a distant memory. Has this every happened to you? Why do we sabotage our success sometimes when we are so close to our goal weight? There are a number of reasons why that we intentionally or unintentionally let our success get the best of us.

Are you too focused on scale?

Your weight can easily fluctuate by 5 pounds or more over the course of a day depending on hormonal changes, how much water you are drinking, as well as your sodium intake and any prescribed medications you’re taking. Don’t just rely on the scale; take your measurements and see how your clothes are fitting.

Are you too focused on the right “number”?

As I just said, there’s a lot more to weight loss than just the number on the scale. Perhaps you had set a goal of losing 20 pounds in 12 weeks, and you are five pounds away from that magic number at 11 weeks. Instead of beating yourself up over not achieving the right number, take a look at all that you have accomplished. It’s very likely you have lost dress and pant sizes, and even gained muscle—maybe you lost 20 pounds of fat, but gained five pounds of muscle. Take your measurements, and also look at all the other positive changes you accomplished: Do you have more energy? More confidence? Have you improved your fitness level and changed the way you eat? These are all signs of success and they should be considered when you look at how well you achieved your goals. You might even need an extra couple weeks to hit your goal, which is totally fine. As you get down to those last few pounds, your body can be pretty stubborn in giving them up, but it will happen.

Do you let a slip-up derail everything?

Just because you had a slice of pizza or a cookie does not mean you’re a failure. It means you’re human. The key to achieving your weight loss goals, and making this way of eating a way of life, is knowing that even if you slip up occasionally, the important thing is to then get right back on the wagon. Make sure your next meal or snack is low-carb; add a little bit more exercise to your day, and ramp up your motivation by finding a new and delicious low-carb recipe to add to your menu. It’s also important to look at this as a learning experience. What caused your slip-up? Were you stressed? Had you skipped a meal or a snack so you were too hungry to resist the treat? Did you not want to hurt your host/hostess’s feelings at a party or family gathering? Were you just plain bored and hungry? Knowing what factors led to your slip-up can help you avoid it in the future.

Do you throw caution (and carbs) to the wind?

It may be tempting to start adding extra carbs into your meals now that you’re so close to success. As long as this works within your personal carb balance—meaning you are able to incorporate these extra carbs while still losing or maintaining your weight—that’s great. But be careful that the pounds don’t start slowly piling back on when you are so close to your goal.

Are you afraid of success?

Your goal is in sight, but are you wondering what to do once you have achieved it? That could also be daunting, daunting enough to relax your resolve and pile on a few pounds. Be proud of what you have accomplished instead. Celebrate your success, and start setting new goals so you have something new to work toward.

Is your weight your security blanket?

There may be various reasons that led you to gain weight in the first place. Sometimes it’s a product of low self-esteem or other past negative experiences. It is almost comforting to hide behind the weight; it becomes a source of security. As you shed the pounds on Atkins, that weight is no longer something you can hide behind. Your weight loss may attract attention, and if you were always used to hiding behind your weight, this could seem like unwanted attention. But this weight security blanket can also cost you your health and your quality of life. If you find you continue to sabotage your weight loss efforts because you are used to hiding behind those extra pounds, counseling may be a helpful choice to help you discover what factors in your life have caused this.

Share your experience. How have you sabotaged your weight loss efforts?

Published Wednesday, May 22, 2013 03:43 PM by colette_heimowitz
Filed Under: Weight Loss, Personal observations & lessons learned
Comments
burnbaby said:
I have sabotaged my efforts so many times in the past that I started thinking of myself as my worst enemy..as if somewhere inside me there was a self-defeating trigger button :( A craving for nutella or chocolate, a party where the host insisted that I try one little margarita (my favorite), a midnight snack that started a landslide ...and took me back to square one.
May 23, 2013 11:38 AM EST
That is all part of the learning process. Don't give up. Once you learn your triggers , you will know how to avoid them.
I treat sugar like an alcoholic treats alcohol. Not even one bite passes my lips. One bite sets me off. Yet I can have a side of brown rice, or a quarter serving of a starchy veggie and be fine. But popcorn...watch out. I can't have a little. Even when I weigh out a proper portion , I go back for more, EVERY TIME.

Live and learn.
May 24, 2013 11:48 AM EST
djb53 said:
I sabotaged myself today. My husband and I babysit for our twin granddaughters and our daughter had fixed them pancakes for breakfast. What did i do but had some too for breakfast instead of my usual scrambled eggs.or omelet. Also to top it off I fixed spaghetti with meat sauce for dinner tonight because I was starving and it was quick. I hate myself because I can't keep focused on what I should be doing.Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day and I can get back on track.
May 24, 2013 07:03 PM EST
ebergstrom said:
So many sabotages deal with food, but there is a psychological sabotage that is often worse. Colette, your last two points are so important. And until you can learn to love yourself as you are, change is hard. Thanks for a great post.
May 26, 2013 11:34 AM EST
mollytinkers said:
A friend and I have a joke that normalcy is boring, and so we sabotage ourselves to create extra drama. I seem, after all, to accomplish more when there's drama. I think it can apply to weight loss as well: when you reach goal, you don't have to worry any more about experimenting and finding out what works because you already have; it becomes a matter of maintaining a balance, which isn't always that exciting.
May 31, 2013 01:24 PM EST
JayR said:
I appreciate this post, too. Thank you! I was 15 from goal and now am 20 from goal - grrrr. I need to try harder to get my head in the game. I'm not as strict as I had been, and I haven't been setting the "get into the next decade" goals. I came to this site after not being here for a while. Your post spoke to me, and I think I'm ready to persevere again lol. Atkins rocks. Being at goal would be wonderful. Again, thanks!
June 05, 2013 09:46 PM EST
karenhaupt said:
I am just starting and can't understand the carb counting. One place says you can deduct the fiber and sugar alcohols another says that eggs have hidden carbs and other places say eggs are zero. I'm really frustrated because I've joined Atkins but there are so many varying descriptions of how to count your carbs. I downloaded the Atkins App for carb counting but its somewhat difficult. I'm ready to do it but can't figure it out. It reminds of the Glycemic Index which was crazy confusing. What should I read to understand how to subtract fiber and sugar..I'm starting in phase 2 and want to lose a lot of wgt. .
June 06, 2013 10:32 AM EST
karenhaupt said:
I also wonder what the portion sizes are. I have the carb counter and have checked out the one on line and it doesn't give portion sizes so I'm not sure if it's a tsp,, tbsp, 1/2 cup...how many grams make a cup?
June 06, 2013 10:48 AM EST
honeybera said:
I totally understand the Atkins app by now. It is a little tricky to master, but without it I'd be quite lost. It is incredibly helpful, and I would be happy to help anyone get the hang of it. It's amazing!!
June 08, 2013 03:45 AM EST
honeybera said:
In addition, portion sizes and conversions are easy: there's an app for that, too! And it, too, is FREE, just like the Atkins app. For example: grams are a measure of weight, and cups are a measure of volume. Now if you want to know how many tablespoons in a cup, the answer is 16. Send me a message. I'd love to help you.
June 08, 2013 03:55 AM EST
honeybera said:
My son has shown me my error. He says use Google instead. You live and learn.
June 08, 2013 04:02 AM EST
honeybera said:
Answer: 226.796 grams = 8 oz. (1 cup)
June 08, 2013 04:12 AM EST
mcbarb1 said:
djb53! when the urge hits to make spagetti, have some eggplant on hand and put your sause over that; add parmasean cheese and voila!! I too can't begin to eat popcorn! My true comfort food!
June 11, 2013 02:52 PM EST
mim1036@msn.com said:
I have been on this plan for two weeks and I am not getting the results I had hoped for. In the beginning I lost 4 pounds but stopped losing one week ago. I faithfully write my carbs down, drink the water, etc. I am getting very discouraged and
need some advice. Can anyone help me?
June 17, 2013 02:12 PM EST
rozyvc said:
I am in the same boat. This is my third week, and I lost 8 pounds the first two, but have gained 2 this week. I have not cheated one time, not once ! I have religously drank my water, 8 8-oz. glasses, and my carb count has been WELL below or near the 20 allowed. It seems I have totalled more %fat eaten, than anything else. I am trying to balance better. Today, I have 36% protein, and 62% fat, with the rest carb. I have never felt better than while I have been on this diet. My gluclose readings have been near the 100 range, when they are usually in the 200-300 range. I am off my oral meds for diabetes, have reduced the long-acting insulin shot from 32 units down to 20 units, I am off water pills because I am experiencing NO swelling now and I am urinating great, My blood pressure has dropped from the usual 186/88+, to 130/73. This diet seems to be MY answer, but I am not seeing results this week, and I weight too much to have plateaued. I started at 223, and I went down to 215 in two weeks, and now I am at 217. Any ideas?
June 19, 2013 06:19 PM EST
cpredragovic said:
Give it time. You are worth it. Don't give up. The space of a week is nothing in the grand scheme of life. Your weight will go down if you don't give up. You owe it to yourself. You could be down 4 more next week. Think about how you feel and want to fee (and how you will look!)l. Don't be in a big rush. The time will pass anyway. I kept saying, "Even after I bust my butt and lose 30, I will still be fat,.." I'm down 35 and feel like a million bucks. I'm still over 200, but I'm starting to get compliments every single day. You are worth it. Take it one day at a time!
June 23, 2013 07:12 PM EST
GordiesMom said:
Thanks for the great article! What a great read!
July 11, 2013 03:16 PM EST