<May 2013>
19202122232425
Keeping it Simple--

If you’re reading this, it’s quite likely you have lost weight on all sorts of diets. Only to regain those stubborn pounds as soon as you resume your previous eating habits.

What will make Atkins the diet that allows you to actually lose the weight, and keep it off… for good? It’s simple. Stop thinking of Atkins as a “diet” and start thinking of it as a new way of eating.

At this point, I would typically delve into the fascinating science behind Atkins—there are over 80 studies that highlight the positive weight loss results and other health benefits associated with following Atkins. And I have written plenty of previous blogs that cover this topic. Today I want to get down to the basic bare-bone facts:

1) Too many carbs; particularly sugar, refined grains like white flour and other processed foods; keep your body from burning fat for energy.
2) Don’t feed your body this way and you’ll find it easier to moderate your appetite and therefore lose weight.

Why? This new way of eating forces your body to burn its own fat for energy. And it doesn’t stop there. Once you’re burning primarily fat, other wonderful things happen, including natural appetite control. As you discover your tolerance for carbs—your personal carb balance--most people find that their cravings for sugary, starchy foods vanish—or at least moderate.

Ready to turn your body into a fat-burning machine? Here are some simple tips to get started:

--Start by consuming 20 grams of net carbs a day (net carbs are total carbs minus fiber).

--Make sure 12 to 15 grams of these net carbs come from Foundation Vegetables.

--Read food labels—watch for hidden carbs.

--Write down everything you eat.

--Track your progress—Not just your weight, but your measurements, energy level and mood.

--Join the Atkins Community—It’s your free, built-in support system!

--Take this journey day by day and pound by pound. You are in this for the long haul, not just for the few weeks before swimsuit season or that class reunion.

--Expect fluctuations and plateaus (I’ve written plenty on these topics to help you make it through these situations).

--You may lose a lot at first; the key is to stick with the program. When you have reached your goal weight (and achieved your personal carb balance)—here’s the big key—continue to follow the Atkins lifestyle.

Of course, there are so many other details I could write about that show you how Atkins works (you can start by reading any of my past blogs), but today I wanted to show you how simple Atkins really is, and how easy it is to get started. It’s a helpful reminder, even for those of you who may have been following Atkins for some time.

Published Thursday, May 02, 2013 03:22 PM by colette_heimowitz
Filed Under: Induction, Carb Balance/Carb Intolerance, Weight Loss, Nutrition, Personal observations & lessons learned
Comments
Golf Gal Cheryl said:
I like it...Amen!
May 02, 2013 05:42 PM EST
FredKaz00 said:
I think you should talk more about the line --Don’t worry about the percentage of fat, protein or carbs or number of calories you are eating. So many people are telling the new people in the chat room that come for advice that they must count and restrict calories and keep track of fat, protein, and carb percentage. They are confusing so many new people. New people come to the chat and told that they must restrict calorie intake or they will not lose weight. This can be very confusing and causing new people to fail on the diet. It is a low carb diet and as long as you restrict your net carbs to 20 a day you will lose weight. You can even lose on even more net carbs but not as fast. No calorie counting is required. Enjoy the foods we can eat and watch the pounds melt away without restricting calories.
May 02, 2013 06:11 PM EST
dwood1204 said:
I have been having lots of frustration. I know that Adkins works. I have seen several friends do well. I have been following Adkins for 3 weeks now and haven't lost at all. I have a shake for breakfast, a frozen meal for lunch, ad meat and salad for dinner. Bars as snacks or sugar free jello with sf whipped cream. I have used heavy whipping cream in coffee and Splenda. Help! Ketone strips not changing color at all. I am so frustrated.
May 02, 2013 06:17 PM EST
stamper66559 said:
Dwood, it doesn't look as if you are eating near enough. Go back up and reread Colette's post. You need 20 net carbs per day with 12 - 15 of them coming from foundation vegetables. Unless, you did not list everything you eat, I do not see near enough vegetables. If you get on track I think you will find you will probably start losing. If you could list everything you eat for Colette, she can fill you in as to what you may need to add. Good luck!!
May 02, 2013 06:41 PM EST
inquisitivefairy said:
Dwood.....I would suggest that you cook more, scale back from the shakes and bars and eat a little more protein and fat (say bacon/sausage and eggs for breakfast). Also, add some onions and broccoli or bell pepper to your eggs. I would save the shakes and bars for when you just don't have time to cook and when you are fighting a craving. I would sub them out for more meals on a regular basis.
May 02, 2013 08:40 PM EST
nursejent245 said:
I stayed at 20 NC or less and did not lose! It wasn't until I started checking my calories and realized I was not eating enough calories. Once I started to make sure that my 20 NC consisted of at least 1200 calories, the weight started dropping off. 25 pounds weight loss later and I watch everyday to make sure I eat ENOUGH calories and I watch my NC. You can not eat 2500 calories and lose weight if you are not active and you can not eat less than 1000 calories and expect to lose weight.
May 02, 2013 09:21 PM EST
FredKaz00 said:
Cut you carbs down by 5 and see the results. Calories have nothing to do with it. Artificial sweeteners count as 1 carb each. Make sure your counting everything you eat.
May 02, 2013 11:18 PM EST
DazelAriane said:
Sometimes calories do have a lot to do with it Fred. I was only having 600 calories and was not losing until I started taking in 1200 calories, then I started losing the weight. My body was in starvation mode. Too little calories are bad and too many are bad.....so you do have to keep an eye on them also in my opinion, even though they are not the focus of this plan.
May 03, 2013 01:53 AM EST
Calories are not the star player but they do play an important supporting role. Not necessary to count calories unless you need to trouble shoot when you are not losing weight. Then it is a good idea to do a reality check to make sure you are consuming enough calories to support a healthy metabolism. Not on a daily basis, just to check.

I have also seen patients who eat past hunger cues and thought Atkins was a free for all high protein diet.When we did a reality check they were consuming 4,000 calories daily. For a sedantary individual,that is too high and will interfere with weight loss.

For individuals who want to control blood sugar but do not want to lose weight I will keep them in Induction or under 50 grams of total carbs but boost calories really high so they maintain weight.

There is a place for calorie checking but totally not necessary on a daily basis or if someone is gliding along and losing weight successfully.
May 03, 2013 10:45 AM EST
mainecyn said:
Thank you for all the useful information. I have found after years of living Atkins that the closer I get to goal I now have to keep my calories "within" reason. If I eat too much, even low carb protien, I will not lose. In the early phases when I had 100 lbs to lose I didn't have to watch calories at all. Atkins has been a lifesaver for me and changed all I know about eating and being satisfied. I have lost almost 100 pounds and not re-gained it.
May 03, 2013 01:26 PM EST
FredKaz00 said:
I agree and stand by what the experts are saying. Watch for hidden carbs, write down everything you eat, and don’t worry about the percentage of fat, protein or carbs or number of calories you are eating, and expect fluctuations and plateaus. Just enjoy the foods you can have and let the pounds melt away and stop trying to make it into the usual restrictive diet you've always failed at before. Best wishes for everyone on their journey. Remember it is a eating plan that we can live with for our entire life, not a restrictive diet plan we have to struggle with. I've been fat all my life and have always been hungry. With Dr. Atkins diet plan for the first time in my life I'm not hungry and I feel more energy and hope for the future then ever before. On Atkins for 1 year and 4 months and lost a total of 130 lbs without even trying. I have some experience with the program and would love to help others to enjoy the program too.
May 03, 2013 03:11 PM EST
dwood120451 said:
Thanks for the great comments. I am going to cut back to 20 NC and see what happens. It was suggested since I have only 16 pounds to lose that I start in OWL. I am going to restart in induction. I will eliminate the sweetener altogether. I teach school and cooking a breakfast for me is not possible. I plan to have a shake for breakfast, a frozen meal for lunch. Can someone suggest what I should be doing for dinner and snacks. Is heavy whipping cream acceptable for coffee. I have been having a huge salad with Marie's Blue Cheese dressing. (0 NC). I also have some sort of meat. I am using the Adkins Carb Tracker for checking Carb intake. Is one bar okay for snacks? Help. I really need this to work!
May 05, 2013 11:17 AM EST
FredKaz00 said:
Sounds to me that you have a pretty good understanding and plan for the diet. Heavy cream is one of the best choices to add to coffee. Probably the cut back to 20 NC will get you where you want to be. Stick with it and you'll be just fine and the 16 lbs will melt off you.
May 06, 2013 07:28 PM EST
cmucerino@rlsrealtors.com said:
I have been on Atkins for 8 days now. I have only lost 3 lbs. I am watching my carb count and it is always 20-21 per day. I take the test with the strips and it always comes up a trace. Some days I even gain a pound. so it fluctuates. I eat eggs and bacon or omelet and Canadian bacon every morning. half a cup of coffee with 2 equals. Lunch is always a salad with cut up chicken, or pieces of ham and ranch or ceasar dressing, green olives and cucumbers. Dinner is usually piece of chicken, turkey burger with no bun, pork or piece of steak and I include a vegetable usually cauliflower or broccoli. I supplement in between with the Adkins bars that have 2 net carbs. I also drink diet decaffineted Coke during the day. How can I get closer to the color purple on the stick and loose more weight?
May 07, 2013 03:15 PM EST
daisy2doo said:
Patience
May 08, 2013 06:09 AM EST
Melody 525 said:
I really appreciate all this feedback and Colette's information. I will be starting on 5/25. Hence my name.
Hopefully by then I will know what I am doing!! My only problems are NO art. sugars allowed, 66 yrs. old & being in the wheelchair, and a very lazy digestion. (I have a Muscular Dystrophy disorder) I know I can do this with some "tweaks". I lost 30 lbs and kept most of it off for over 7 years. Can't wait to get started again. Wish me luck!! And thank you so much again for sharing all this info!! I'm taking notes!!! :)
May 08, 2013 06:34 PM EST
sybilbrown1958 said:
Good luck everyone!! Great information from you all. My journey starts tomorrow! Take care!!
May 09, 2013 08:11 PM EST
froggy1945 said:
Thank you for all the great info! I started my acct but just am really starting tomorrow the diet. I had alo of personal stuff right after I stared the acct. - son in a bad car accident & husband having surgery. Too much stres trying to start. But now they both are home so my time to start. I did Atkins about 9 yrs ago and lost 90 lbs. Unfortunatly got off track and gained about 28lbs back. So time to get serious again. I just don't remember it all-- and Atkins has changed. Got the New Atkins book and the New Atkins cookbook. Your comments are so encouraging. My journey begins tomorrow too.
May 13, 2013 11:23 AM EST
ANA FLORES said:
It is wonderful to hear and learn that there is all this support out there. I did Atkins 7 years ago and lost 40 pounds. I was at 170 lbs when I started. Until 2 years ago I've gained 20 lbs back and I'm going to do Atkins again to see if I can take those extra pounds off. I'm a little older now, and it probably will take longer than last time, but I'm attempting it again. Wish me luck!
May 14, 2013 03:03 PM EST
SallyJacobs said:
cmucerino, I also have been on the Atkins Induction for 8 days. I lost 3 lbs in the first 3 days and haven't lost any since. In fact, yesterday, I went up 1/2 lb. I am soo frustrated. I exercise a bunch, swimming 1 hour at least 5 days per week and running 45 -60 mins 5-6 days a week.
May 16, 2013 10:19 AM EST
MissAlma said:
cmucerino: I'm new, so I don't have a lot of experience to share, but I do know is that aspartame (Equal) is a no-no. Also, the soda pop may contain aspartame. Atkins recommends the following sweeteners: sucralose, stevia (which is an herb), saccharin, and xylitol.
May 22, 2013 07:10 AM EST
trickiernikki said:
Also, i have noticed with the artificial sweeteners that the powdered forms...the ones in the packets, contain maltodextrin...and if you use more than 3 per day, can hinder losing...they DO come in liquid forms with absolutely NO carbs...I switched recently, and noticed a BIG improvement in just a few days! :) Amazon has a bunch of varieties at reasonable prices!

Good luck, everyone...and a big THANKS to Colette for getting back to me so fast about my health issues and staying on induction for an indeterminate period!

:) Nikki
May 24, 2013 01:17 AM EST
C-Rod said:
HI! I hope Colette can help with my dilemma here. I only have 10 pounds to lose, and fully realize that things are slower when you do not have a lot of weight to lose - but I do desperately want to get these extra pounds off and NOTHING is working. I have been on ZERO carbs for the past 4 days (meats, eggs, and cheese only), Induction (only 1-2 green leafy salads) for 16 days, and CANNOT get the LT strips to even turn color AT ALL! It is still the neutral color! Today, I even resorted to the drastic Fat Fast plan from the book (cream cheese and macadamia nuts ONLY - 90% fat) and so far - no color change. I am SO frustrated and worried something might actually be wrong with my metabolism. I have been diagnosed with reactive hypoglycemia, but come on! Am I not going to lose any weight unless and until I get into ketosis? I am being religious with my eating but am obviously stuck and not sure how much longer I can endure without ANY signs of success at all. Any suggestions about severe metabolic resistance, difficulty getting into ketosis and fat loss would be much appreciated. Thank you!
June 02, 2013 09:45 PM EST