<April 2013>
14151617181920
The Atkins Promise

When you think of dieting, what words come to mind? “Hunger” and “deprivation”? Maybe even “frustration”? In the past, did your experience with dieting include eliminating foods; drastically cutting calories and choking down the same bland meals; day in and day out? The good news? You probably lost some weight. The bad news? As soon as your willpower waned as you tried to stick to an unrealistic diet, the pounds came creeping back.

What if dieting meant you got to eat until you were pleasantly satisfied and full? That you weren’t plagued by hunger every day and that you were able to enjoy rich and flavorful foods? That you didn’t have to count calories on a daily basis, but still experienced steady weight loss, even if you had failed on other diets.

This, my friend, is the Atkins Promise. With Atkins, you learn a way of eating that will help keep any lost weight from coming back. The plan takes you through four Phases, which allow you to find your personal carb balance—the number of net carbs your body can tolerate without gaining back the weight you have already lost. By the time you achieve this personal carb balance, most likely you have eliminated addictive food patterns, you have increased self-confidence and improved health problems that accompanied your excess weight, and you’ve also minimized risk factors for certain diseases.

In a nutshell, this is what Atkins can do for you:

• The power of the Atkins Diet rests on the fact that it promotes more efficient fat burning. Stored body fat actually is our body's backup fuel system for energy. The most efficient weight loss and weight maintenance program would have to be one that converts body fat from backup to primary fuel. This switch occurs when carbohydrates are low enough to force the body to access this alternative fuel source. On Atkins you will burn the fat on your body as well as the fat you consume for energy. That is why fat will not pose a health risk on Atkins. Because you are burning fat for energy.

But contrary to past popular belief, the Atkins Diet is not about living solely on butter and bacon. Instead, you learn to incorporate a multitude of healthy fats, protein, vegetables, and eventually nuts and fruits and other wholesome carbs into your lifestyle while losing weight, gaining energy and feeling better than ever.

• Finding the point that your body burns fat is a unique process, and the Atkins Diet provides individualized guidance through its four Phases to help you achieve this.

• The Atkins Diet has evolved based on findings from a multitude of new studies that have validated previous work and made new discoveries, all to help enhance your experience with Atkins and help you succeed with your weight loss goals.

• And, finally, Atkins provides a long-term, well-balanced diet plan that teaches you how to achieve your perfect carb balance.

If you believe in the Atkins Promise, you can succeed! And if you have friends and family asking you how you’ve lost weight so far, show this to them, too, so they can understand how the Atkins Diet works and start believing in the Atkins Promise.

Published Wednesday, April 17, 2013 10:47 AM by colette_heimowitz
Filed Under: Induction, Carb Balance/Carb Intolerance, Weight Loss, Nutrition, Personal observations & lessons learned
Comments
eljay1 said:
I have just completed 2 weeks of strict induction and I've gained 3#! I obviously can't even get rid of the water weight, how will I ever advance to the next phase? I even increased my exercise and have yet to get energized. I hate to say it with all the success stories, but I am losing faith in the plan.
April 17, 2013 03:25 PM EST
yankgal46 said:
I love this WOE!!! It doesn't feel like I'm dieting because it is a choice and I choose to eat real food! Not processed junk.I seldom even eat at a fast food joint and if I do,I find something I can eat and not worry with counting calories. I have common sense and have learned alot about portion control.This way of eating is not all about eat as much meat,butter,eggs, and cheese!
April 17, 2013 04:39 PM EST
3ve said:
Every day I check your blog Colette to see if you posted. I enjoy reading it - find lots of useful info. I am on induction for a third week and based on your previous blogs it seems I am in the moderate 'looser' group ;) Of course I would like to loose fast but I am thankful that my food cravings stopped, I eat in moderation now and I started exercising again which makes me feel great even without loosing fast. As part of induction I got rid of my addictions relatively easily compared with before when it was almost always loosing proposition. It is not even whole 3 weeks but I hope this lasts until I can allow myself a treat on occasion (small piece of my mom's apple pie or a cold beer with my father who I see only once a year). But then I will definitely understand what the price for it is and hopefully I will compensate for it quickly. Thanks for your articles - I really enjoying reading them.
April 17, 2013 10:39 PM EST
Gabriella77 said:
eljay, I know how you feel...there were times I found myself unable to lose the weight. After much struggle, I found my thyroid needed thyroid hormones. It is amazing once you treat the thyroid how Atkins works wonderfully. I love Atkins and have for a long time. It is interesting how so many people now writing books suggesting low carb food plans and the numerous benefits. Dr. Atkins had it right all along!!
April 18, 2013 06:43 AM EST
eljay1 said:
Gabriella77, Thanks for your support and insight. I think the thyroid could be an issue as my lab tests are "borderline" for hypothyroidism, but the doctor refuses to treat :( It is difficult to work so diligently and have nothing to show for it. If it is my thyroid it seems almost futile to continue.
April 18, 2013 03:58 PM EST
Idhunn said:
HI Colette, I'm 6 days in..8 pounds lighter..a few shorter marks on the tape measure and feeling like a ball of energy! This kind of "sacrifice" for a diet plan I can do, lol....
April 19, 2013 12:57 AM EST
jstangelo said:
Eljay1, You also have to keep in mind, depending on how much you are increasing your exercise (which is a good thing) that you are also turning fat into muscle and muscle weighs more then fat. Don't give up, YOU can do this.
April 22, 2013 10:17 AM EST
mdowdd said:
Hi Collette I'm new and starting the induction tomorrow. I previously was on the HCG diet and did well but thought I would lose my last 40 or so lbs trying the Atkins which previously had been successful for me. Does anyone have any thoughts on the HCG diet?
April 29, 2013 10:39 PM EST
gocat50 said:
10 days on Atkins and I have not lost a pound. I will lose ounces one day and gain them back the next. I am already on thyroid medication and exercise. I am doing induction to the letter. Any ideas?
April 30, 2013 10:52 AM EST
TTrice2011 said:
Hello, I am new to Atkins and are going to start my diet on Sunday. I have printed the shopping list so I can go and buy the foods I need. I have always wanted to try Atkins but am a little scared, is there a lot of side effects from lowering your carb intake? I eat a lot of carbs right now and I know that I will end up craving them such as breads, pastas, protatoes and espcially fries. I am hoping that this goes well, are there any thoughts to cutting side effects and if so what are they?
May 01, 2013 04:46 AM EST
Bubbles said:
TTrice...You may have a headache or feel dizzy or leg cramps.....some call it Adkins flu. You need to have the broth and salt your foods. That always takes care of it for me. If you follow the plan to the letter you will find the sugar and bread cravings will go away. Yes, it's true! If it happened to me it will happen for anyone. Keep in mind if the scale at times doesn't move you are still loosing inches. So, measure right now. My pants are falling off way more then what they should be according to the scale. You will find that you have way more energy and you will feel more alert after a few days. Go to the Adkins chat room there are allot of Adkins senior dieters there that are a huge help with questions. Good luck to you....you can do it!!
May 02, 2013 11:56 PM EST
NewDay2013 said:
Hi everyone! I started induction yesterday and I need to lose 100lbs. I'm insulin dependent and today my blood sugar dropped to 57. I had to have (juice) sugar to bring it back up. My primary goal is to kick diabetes to the curb! Any tips for keeping blood sugar level while going through induction. I'm determined to make it this time. I want to live. Thanks!
May 16, 2013 07:53 PM EST