<March 2013>
17181920212223
Shun the Sugar; Lose the Weight (and Avoid Diabetes)

No one ever said that the typical American diet was perfect—the fact that obesity rates continue to climb and obesity-related diseases are becoming more prevalent is a true testament to the pitfalls of many of the foods we eat every day. In fact, sugar may be the true killer. A study published in the February 27th issue of the journal PLoS One links increased sugar consumption with increased rates of diabetes. Researchers examined the data on sugar availability and the rate of diabetes in 175 countries over the past decade and found that increased sugar in a population’s food supply was linked to higher diabetes rates independent of rates of obesity. The simple conclusion we can draw from this is that it’s not just obesity that causes diabetes; sugar does.

In fact, this study found that for every 12 ounces of sugar-sweetened beverage introduced per person per day in a country’s food system, the rate of diabetes goes up 1 percent. For decades, the Atkins Diet has advised followers to eliminate added sugar from their meals and snacks. As you probably know, unlike natural sugar, which is integral to a food such as fruit, added sugar—the name says it all—is used to boost flavor and sweetness. Added sugars include table sugar, high-fructose corn syrup, honey and numerous other caloric sweeteners, both manufactured and natural. Obviously, added sugars significantly raise both the carb count and the calories in food as diverse as barbecue sauce and breakfast cereal.

Other clinical results also demonstrated that the Atkins Diet can help reverse Type 2 diabetes by controlling symptoms of the metabolic syndrome. This cluster of conditions includes abdominal obesity, high triglycerides, low HDL, high blood pressure and glucose intolerance. The data showed that patients who follow a controlled-carbohydrate lifestyle may be able to reduce their dependence on medications relating to blood sugar abnormalities (i.e., metabolic syndrome and diabetes). Subjects studied were able to reduce their blood sugar levels and improve their lipid profiles; half of them were able to normalize their blood sugar levels completely and stop their medication by following an Atkins-type regimen. Patients also demonstrated lipid profiles consistent with other studies on low-carb diets, which include a significant decrease in triglycerides and increase in HDL, the “good” cholesterol.

It’s about time that folks start to catch on…there are those who would love to believe that Atkins is a fad or a crash diet; but in fact it has demonstrated time and time again that it’s a proven very low sugar plan for reducing your risk of metabolic syndrome and diabetes. The fact you lose weight, gain more energy and generally improve your overall lifestyle is simply icing (sugar-free) on the cake (low-carb).

Published Wednesday, March 06, 2013 11:44 AM by colette_heimowitz
Filed Under: Carb Balance/Carb Intolerance, Weight Loss, Nutrition, Cravings / Problem foods
Comments
getinrip said:
Great post every time one of my nay sayer have something smart to say about my woe. I wish i could pull out a copy of this and say READ THIS YOU CLOSE MINED MIS GUIDED FOOL !
March 06, 2013 11:54 AM EST
Golf Gal Cheryl said:
It's the devil all right ...haaha... Lol!!! Seriously ...it is. ; )
March 06, 2013 12:22 PM EST
Get-it-done said:
Bravo! Maureen
March 06, 2013 12:28 PM EST
joy1228ce said:
Great post. I lost a niece who was 20 yrs old to diabetes simply because she would not eat right.
March 06, 2013 02:46 PM EST
serenajoye said:
Excellent blog, Colette. We've often been told sugar is not a problem in regard to disbetes. I think the work of Atkins, Bernstein and Taubes shows us sugar is the big problem. And, I for one, simply do not feel good after eating sugar in any form.
March 06, 2013 04:40 PM EST
Nancy_Pagan said:
Very helpful insight! Thank you!
March 06, 2013 06:18 PM EST
hairnerd86 said:
I keep talking to my boyfriends dad ( who happens to be a type 2 diabetic) about this "diet" heck I dont even want to call it a diet. He seems interested, but refuses to come to the "sugar-free" side! He loves sweets and we have to hide stuff from him, but i think if my whole family did this we would all do better. everyone in my house is obese or over weight. im the only one that is seeing results with my diet plan. every one else is eating rice, pasta, bread, cookies, sugar and so on. but they see no results. I exercise like 3 times a week and im loosing weight they exercise every day and lose nothing.... hmmmm maybe I have the right idea after all. thanks for the post i love reading your blog!
March 07, 2013 12:04 PM EST
mollytinkers said:
I remember as a child in the '70s learning that diabetics were told to avoid added sugar; and it seemed to me then, as it obviously does now, that there's a definite correlation between sugar intake and diabetes type II. It's amazing to me after all these decades that people simply refuse to come to that decision unless there's some study to prove it and countless, millions of dollars poured into the subject. We're stressing our pancreases to the max, each and every generation, to the point that I believe we've morphed our DNA and turned this into a hereditary condition cured only by a diet extemely low in added sugars.
March 08, 2013 02:08 PM EST
Theresa633 said:
I agree with this blog wholeheartedly. Sugar and flour almost did me in. I'm grateful I learned about this way of living before it was too late. I released 110 pounds when I first began this program back in 2000 and am now back on it after trying to go back to my old ways.(Didn't work) This is a healthier way of living. I'm glad I didn't regain the first 110 and now to release another 100 more. Thank you Atkins for paving the way.
March 11, 2013 03:40 PM EST
susanpetros said:
Good for you Theresa. I too lost weight in the 70's when my mom put the whole family on Atkins. When my father died mom had given up because she loved her sweets. Once her sweet tooth was really bad, I noticed the altzheimers got worse and I can't help but think the diet had a lot to do with it.

I personally am hypoglycemic. I avoid sugar like the plague - but after a 50 lb weight gain, am back on Atkins and find I just feel better. I am not as tired, I have more energy and I don't feel like I am in a mental fog - which I believe was exasperated by sugar and wheat/gluten. No one wants to listen. They think the new Atkins is the old Atkins and let their food addiction rule their diet. I am off that roller coaster. I will lose my 50 and when everyone wants to know how I did it - I will say Atkins, and you can too...diabetic or not
March 13, 2013 03:59 PM EST
TNwesties said:
I read both of Gary Taubes' books - the newer one is the best - "Why we Get Fat" which advocates the principles of the Atkins program, without actually endorsing it. I also read "Wheat Belly" which points out how addictive wheat, flour, pasta, etc are. These books led me back to the Atkins plan, and I am going whole heartedly with it for now.
March 20, 2013 03:19 PM EST
daisy2doo said:
I have a dehydrator and thought it would be a good idea to make some beef jerky. I did not even think about the seasoning having sugar in it. I made 5 lbs (my husbands idea) and used two pkg of Spice n Slice seasoning. These pkgs also come with a pkg of cure.
How bad did I mess up? Surely these pkgs cannot have too much sugar in them? Thanks
May 01, 2013 02:37 PM EST