<March 2013>
17181920212223
Kick Your Carb Craving to the Curb

Here’s a scenario: You have been doing Atkins for a while, you’ve lost weight, and you are feeling great. As you progress through the different Phases, you start to incorporate different types of carbs in your meal plan, while still losing or maintaining your weight. Then, maybe you become a little overly confident. You figure you can handle some bread here and there, maybe some potatoes or cookies or alcohol (or whatever carbs are not necessarily on the list for your Phase). And for a while this strategy may work, and you continue to lose weight. Until it doesn’t. Suddenly your cravings become uncontrollable; maybe they are even waking you up at night. And the only way to calm the cravings is to feed the monster, i.e. eat those carbs. And soon your weight loss stalls. Does this sound familiar?

The reason for this is that when you eat those tempting carbs, you start to experience even more cravings because your blood sugar levels are unstable. Welcome to the carbohydrate rollercoaster. Once you get on, it’s very hard to get off. Your first exit off the rollercoaster? Induction. Return to this Phase for a week or so, until you get your blood sugar under control. When you are no longer craving foods high in carbs and your energy levels have stabilized, you can move beyond Induction. And hopefully you’ve learned something from your ride on the carbohydrate rollercoaster. Pay attention to what led you astray, whether it was skipping meals, stress or just a false sense of security that you could handle those “cheat” meals here and there. But don’t be too strict on yourself and deny yourself completely. This could also backfire. Let yourself have an occasional treat (within your carbohydrate threshold and acceptable food lists), but make sure you know your carb tolerance and stay below that. If you need to satisfy a sweet craving—without raising your blood sugar—you can try an Atkins Advantage™ Bar as a snack or occasional meal replacement. You can even eat them during Induction as long as you continue to lose weight. (Try to consume no more than two bars or shakes a day.)

As you continue on your journey on Atkins, don’t forget all the benefits you will experience as you decrease your carb intake, including:

• Burning your built-up reserves of fat for fuel, while preserving lean body mass, and energy optimal.
• Controlling your appetite.
• Eliminating spikes and slumps in your blood sugar
• Eliminating the bully in the park; excess carbohydrates.
• Reducing your risk of insulin resistance, diabetes, and heart disease.
• When you consume fewer carbs and replace that with fat and protein, as well as only enough whole food carbs that your metabolism can tolerate, you will be able to lose weight, and keep it off.

Happy journey!

Published Friday, March 15, 2013 12:18 PM by colette_heimowitz
Filed Under: Induction, Carb Balance/Carb Intolerance, Cravings / Problem foods, Personal observations & lessons learned
Comments
Kathyw/aK said:
This is a happy journey for myself and Jerry Thanks Colette....love the "bully in the park" expression!! Have a great weekend K
March 15, 2013 12:27 PM EST
dleo45 said:
Thanks Colette. this very problem hapened to me ,but just like you sed I went back to the begining and presto.Now I'm bilding musclo and althoug my scale say 5 to 7 lbs. over my size still 6.I'M HAPPY and will continue this life stile.English is my third language so my speling is not the best .
March 15, 2013 01:06 PM EST
debbily said:
Thank you so much for this blog!! This very thing has happened to me, I have had to go back to the induction phase a couple of times. Thanks again for all of the reminders of how great atkins really is!
March 15, 2013 03:10 PM EST
alarmro said:
controlling my appetite is my big. big problem. I am trying to stay on long enough to conquer this, but so far in a week, I have had muscle cramps in the back of my legs and would kill for a sandwich!
March 15, 2013 07:33 PM EST
alarmro : In the begging, until your body gets adapted, make sure you are eating enough to ward off hunger. Eat every two hours if you have to. Six mini meals or three meals and three snacks. After two weeks, you may be able to go longer, but to get you through the adaptation phase, eating enough and eating frequently will help. Hang in there
March 16, 2013 11:40 AM EST
jt0152 said:
I have just the reverse issues of alarmo, I am on day 14 of Induction and I have absolutely no cravngs and no apppetite. I cannot seem to eat enough carbs to even begin to meet the 13-15 of Foundation vegetables, let alone the 20-25 daily net carb count. I force myself to eat the 3rd meal. I like the food I'm eating, I'm just not hungry. This is in complete contrast to my former diet that consisted of mostly bad carbs - as in American junk food eating. I've lost 10 pounds the first week and felt good for the first 4 days, week two 1-2 pounds loss, tired and not hungry :(.
March 17, 2013 03:22 PM EST
allisonjj said:
I'm logging everything on the site's Meal Planner and at the bottom, I notice it shows a pie chart with percentages of total carbs, fat, and protein for the day. What is the optimum percentages for each during induction? Thank you!
March 17, 2013 07:12 PM EST
lynnevon said:
In the OWL phase I have had great success with lower carb alternatives to foods that people commonly crave. No matter what it is- chocolate mousse, mac n cheese, etc. - there is a lower carb alternative that can be sought out or prepared. Just on this website alone there are so many great recipes. I did not make the effort soon enough the first time I entered the OWL phase, and after a couple of months my cravings caught up with me. Had to go back and complete another induction phase, and now I won't make that mistake again. I am going to try a new recipe every week.
March 18, 2013 11:47 AM EST
Bethb2007 said:
Very good info.
March 18, 2013 02:28 PM EST
sognatrice said:
Colette, your blog comes at a perfect time. Since Christmastime, I've become less vigilant and some carbs have crept back in--a bit of hamburger roll here, a handful of potato chips there...Time for a reality check! I put myself back on Induction over the weekend and already feel more "in control" and more energized:)
March 18, 2013 02:43 PM EST
latina1966 said:
After loosing 80 pounds on Atkins over the last year and working hard to get my health back, I started to slip. First a pound, then 3, then 5. Brakes on! I have reentered induction and am retaking those small steps that make such a huge difference. Portion control, carb counting and excercise will get me back where I was, and take me to the next level of fitness. SO excited to loose the last 30 pounds, and with this way of living! I know it will happen! Don't get discouraged, just get back on the horse that got you here to begin with.
March 18, 2013 03:46 PM EST
awes0me1@att.net said:
I am going back to Induction to get back on track. I miss making sandwhiches. They are so easy to make and convient. I slipped up a couple of times with the bread. Now I have gained 2 pounds! Ugh I am so mad at myself. Back to Induction.
March 18, 2013 11:00 PM EST
goodypj said:
My husband has found out how good the Low carb chcolate candies are and keeps buying tons of them...he is ruining my diet! I have got to start back on induction and resist these chocolates! I think they are killing my efforts!
March 18, 2013 11:26 PM EST
wackyfella said:
Thank You for this info. I was going through this right now. I have already lost 33kgs, but these last 5kgs i am not able to do. my craving for carbs and yes HUGE craving for Sweets have AWOKEN. I was getting up in the night to have food and my weight have stopped at 70kgs now. Will surely go back to Induction to rectify :) Thanks again.
March 19, 2013 03:44 AM EST
clucasl said:
This is my second time on Atkins. My first experience was rapid weight loss followed by gradual weight gain. The end result was I weighted more when I started the second time than I did the first. This time I will not revert back to my old eating and exercising (not exercising) routine. I feel great when I stick to this life style. I feel sick, sluggish, and totally out of control when I do any other life style. 30 lbs and dropping!
March 20, 2013 09:55 AM EST
Bonhay said:
Hello Colette I have been on Atkins for two months and have only lost 5 lbs. I am on estrogen/progestrone and thyroid meds. I have been following phase 1 any suggestions please. Not exercising yet. Can i do less carbs than 20?
March 20, 2013 12:33 PM EST
bmlook said:
You may think this is premature, but this is my first day on Atkins. I was on it years ago. I quit because I was influenced by people who convinced me that eating all that protein was bad. But I have since realized that I need akll that protein to lose weight.Atkins is a good way for me to eat my vegetables, because I have not been consuming nearly enough. I love the online tools and can't wait to report my first week results. Thanks for this blog. All the comments I have read have only made be more encouraged. I have misgivings about my upcoming vacation. It is so hard to say no to carbs such as pasta and biscuits, but I will do my best to stay within my carb limits and do my darndest to say no to the breakfast biscuits and sweets other than my Atkins products which I plan to take along.
March 26, 2013 01:04 PM EST
mzhelaineous said:
Hello! I am just going to start the induction phase tomorrow. I've downloaded the Phase 1 Made Easy pre-made plan so I don't have to think about what to prepare to eat too much until I'm fully ensconced in the program. I am wondering what I can do to make the transition from eating sweets to none at all easier. I am an admitted sweet-addict. I love anything sweet, especially sour candy. I am also diabetic which I'm hoping this will help to get me off the Metformin if I get enough weight off. Any suggestions would be most appreciated!
April 02, 2013 07:14 PM EST
nancylach said:
My "treats" right now are serving sized nuts and hot tea. What can I munch on besides this? I use the Atkins bars and love them. I don't want to risk getting bored and making a mistake. Any ideas or recipes?
April 04, 2013 01:37 PM EST
MadalynSkl@gmail.com said:
Help, this is my second time doing Atkins. I went from 236 to 140 in a year. There were bumps but it went just about as the Atkins book predicted. that was about 7 years ago. 4 years ago I had to have radiation and they wanted me to stop low carbing. That explains 9 weeks but the truth is I don't do cravings well. At 190 I said enough, tried to go back to Atkins and I got very sick and could not get into ketone burning. Did south beach, calorie counting, 10 lbs water and no more then let up for a week and 190. Tried Atkins again this time I went right into ketone burning and have remained there, lost 11 lbs water and no more. 6 weeks and my energy is back, I can walk, run 35 minutes rather than limp 5 min. Cravings are gone, praise God. Cloths fit better, everyone is noticing I look thinner but no weight loss. I thought Candida since that was a problem last time did a cleanse. All my blood work was fine. I take no medication. Carbs range16 to 22. I am charting everything. I am drinking no less than 8 glasses of water, taking the same vitamins as last time. The green tea one I stopped because I was getting very nauseas and late night hunger. I have added just the tea and I am not discouraged just to be free of the pain would keep me with you but I am concerned since I seem to be eating less exercising more, feeling better. Is there something wrong or that I am missing?
April 15, 2013 09:18 AM EST
srmurphy said:
new to this lifestyle change. Lost 29 lbs in first 14 days. Now on day 18 it the scale says I've gained 6! Still doing what I was doing the first 14 days. Not sure what is going on.
May 04, 2013 03:29 PM EST