<February 2013>
17181920212223
What’s for Breakfast on Induction?

Most people find it easy to eat Atkins-style at lunch and dinner. Breakfast is easy, too, if you get “egg-cited” about the myriad of ways in which eggs can be prepared. (For more on the incredible, edible egg, see my last blog.) But if eggs aren’t your thing, don’t worry. There are plenty of other delicious and satisfying breakfast options. You’ll just need to think outside the box (and not just the cereal box!) a bit.

Remember, your goal is not just to control carbs but to also get sufficient protein and fat at every meal, including the first meal of the day, so it’s important to have meat, fish, cheese, soy or another source of protein each morning. In fact, studies show that people who eat breakfast are more successful at losing weight (and maintaining their weight loss) than those who skip it. The following ideas, which all come in south of 4 grams of Net Carbs, should add some variety to your mornings. Some borrow a page from another culture. Others include an egg or two, but are a far cry from two over lightly. Some of our breakfast ideas are portable, making them good for weekday mornings or any time you want to grab something and go. All serve one unless otherwise indicated.

•         On-the-Run Roll-ups: Wrap slices of cheese and ham around a couple of cucumber spears and a dab of mayonnaise mixed with mustard. Or mix it up with sliced turkey or roast beef wrapped in lettuce leaves. Or wrap cream cheese in smoked salmon.
•         Chocolate-Coconut Shake: Blend 4 ounces unsweetened soy or almond milk, 2 tablespoons no-sugar-added coconut milk, 1 scoop unsweetened whey protein powder, 2 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder, ½ teaspoon vanilla extract, 3 ice cubes, and 1 packet sucralose (optional) in a blender until well mixed and frothy.
•         Stuffed Peppers: Stuff half a bell pepper with a few tablespoons of pork or turkey bulk sausage and microwave for 10 to 15 minutes on high or in a 350°F. oven for 45 minutes. Pour off the excess fat, and serve with no-added-sugar salsa or, if desired, with a poached egg and/or grated cheese. Make a batch ahead of time and reheat individual portions.
•         Corned Beef Hash. Instead of the potatoes called for in most recipes, use white turnips or chopped cauliflower. Or replace the corned beef with leftover chicken or turkey. Again, make ahead and freeze individual portions so you can pop them in the microwave.
•         Veggie Hash Browns. Sauté cauliflower florets and cut-up white turnips and onions in bacon drippings until browned and tender. Add crumbled bacon or sausage and serve with no-added-sugar ketchup.
•         Grilled Stuffed Mushrooms: Brush a Portobello mushroom cap with oil. Broil for a minute or two on both sides. Top with browned ground beef and some grated cheese and return to the broiler for a minute or two.
•         Eggs Fu Yung: Stir-fry a sliced scallion with 1/2 cup bean sprouts in a little oil until soft, then add two beaten eggs and cook, stirring, for a minute or two. Serve with soy sauce or no-added-sugar salsa. Replace the sprouts with grated zucchini, spinach or any vegetable leftovers. Or replace the sprouts with ½ package well-rinsed and drained shirataki noodles.
•         Morning Soup: Bring 1 cup of water to a boil. Turn down the heat and add 1 bouillon cube, 4 ounces firm tofu cut into small pieces, 1/2 package well-rinsed shirataki noodles and 1 thinly sliced scallion. Simmer for a few minutes. Ladle into a soup bowl. Or replace the tofu with chunks of leftover chicken, beef, or pork and/or add watercress or baby spinach leaves.

Also on the Menu
There’s good news for caffeinated coffee lovers. Moderate caffeine or tea intake is actually associated with improved long-term health benefits and assists in regulation of body weight. Coffee and tea contain several antioxidants and a little caffeine has the added benefit of mildly enhancing fat burning (caffeine, not coffee per se, increases fat burning).

Off the Menu
However, another common morning beverage, orange juice (along with other fruit juices), is off the table—think of it as liquid sugar, and you’ll understand why.

Published Wednesday, February 20, 2013 01:57 PM by colette_heimowitz
Filed Under: Induction
Comments
BBWHoney said:
Eggs Fu Yung??? Sounds great but i don't know how to make that!
February 20, 2013 02:42 PM EST
kbil said:
chocolate coconut shake sounds awesome :)
February 20, 2013 02:54 PM EST
lynnevon said:
another good one is canadian bacon and cheddar stacks - grill some canadian bacon and melt cheddar on top, make a sandwich between 2 slices of beefsteak tomato. can also add mayo- yum!
February 20, 2013 03:54 PM EST
ChrisMitch said:
everything but the tofu sounds great here. question on the stuffed peppers... is the meat supposed to be cooked first or does it cook completely in the microwave?
February 20, 2013 04:05 PM EST
10 to 15 minutes on high in microwave or in a 350°F. oven for 45 minutes is enough to cook the meat..
February 20, 2013 04:29 PM EST
Golf Gal Cheryl said:
Good food choices...thanks!
February 20, 2013 04:33 PM EST
LambiePi said:
I'm happy with my eggs :) But is nice to have an alternative.
February 20, 2013 11:02 PM EST
joy1228ce said:
After I fry my bacon I pour out the drippings and put a little dab of butter in the pan and add 1/4 cup of spaghetti squash, a tbs. of onions cook til onions are tender and pour a beaten egg over it and scramble the mixture add an ounce of shredded cheddar cheese. Mmmm... it really livens up the eggs.
February 20, 2013 11:12 PM EST
foxxtrot_Louise said:
Good Morning peeps ~ I find that Linda's pumpkin bake is great at breakfast time, and the bonus is that it includes a foundation veggie. Enjoy. (www.genaw.com/lowcarb/)
February 21, 2013 07:37 AM EST
lynnevon said:
cook some bacon, discard the grease from the pan but leave the coating and sautee kale or another dark leafy green. serve the bacon and a fried egg on top. this is my favorite.
February 21, 2013 01:49 PM EST
gracestone said:
I can't wait to try the shirataki noodle soup for breakfast one of these days. Soup seems to make my tummy feel full. I was surprised to learn about these low carb noodles.
February 21, 2013 05:01 PM EST
tygrr94 said:
I wonder if you could also use jicama for the potatoes?
February 23, 2013 10:47 AM EST
faithjoy96 said:
I am not a veggie eater naturally....where do you get spaghetti squash?
February 24, 2013 12:05 PM EST
mollytinkers said:
A cup of cottage cheese for breakfast may sound corny and cliche, but it's a great go-to for a busy morning. And when I have time to cook, there's nothing like a petite sirloin flash cooked in a bit of butter. What's wrong with steak for breakfast? Nothing!
February 27, 2013 02:12 PM EST
Kristen46 said:
Hello there. I am one week into Atkins. I had a couple questions for you. 1) I purchased the Peanut butter cups and the chocolate chip granola bars. The front of the box says 2g Net Carbs and 3g Net carbs respectively; however when you turn the box over and read the Nutrition facts it indicates on both that the net carbs are much higher . . . 13g and 14g. Why is this. I am afraid to eat these bars due to this. 2) Does flavored water (Fruit 2 O) need to be limited. It states it has no carbs however I just was checking if I needed to count a carb for each bottle. Thanks so much for your time. Kris
February 27, 2013 09:43 PM EST
Georgiana said:
@BBWHoney: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=fu+yung+eggs+low+carb @tygrr94: Jicama would work just fine too. @faithjoy96: Where do you live? I find spaghetti squash at the supermarket, or at the vegetable market.
February 28, 2013 03:15 PM EST
Travelure said:
In the induction phase, are you allowed to drink the Atkins Shakes or the Atkins Bar's if they state that they are for all Phases?? or is it just for the rest of the phases?? Just want to make sure!! Help!
March 05, 2013 11:24 AM EST
eunicew said:
@ Kristen46, you have to remember to minus the fiber from the carbs, so if your carbs are 10 and your fiber is 5, then you get only 5 carbs, @ Travelure The shakes and bars can be eaten in the induction phase, theres a weekly planner on this site that i use, its very helpful.
March 15, 2013 09:03 AM EST
maplehill2 said:
I have been looking for information on the use of tofu in Atkins. Vegetarians and vegans are told in the FAQ that they can start with 30 grams of carbohydrate during induction in order to compensate for the additional carbohydrates in tofu. However, I am not a vegetarian, so I've been wondering if it's still alright to include tofu as a substitute for animal protein at breakfast or in other meals here and there. Assuming that it is OK to use tofu sporadically during induction, do people simply include the extra carbohydrates in the 20-carb count? It would seem from the inclusion of a tofu suggestion with this blog post, that it is OK to use tofu during induction even if you are not a vegetarian. However, I don't see tofu as being part of the acceptable food list for either the Atkins 20 or the Atkins 40. It is only mentioned in the FAQ, some recipes, and blog posts, as far as I can see. The breakfast ideas listed in this post sound great, but is it OK to have JUST, for example, "Chocolate Coconut Shake"? Or do you have to have vegetables on the side? I've also seen ideas elsewhere for things like flaxseed meal pancakes. I'm under the impression that foundation vegetables have to be included in every meal--is that right? That is a very big question for me. I find it very easy and delicious to have a tofu smoothie with salad greens, coconut milk, and almond milk for breakfast, but I don't know if it's acceptable for the induction phase of the Atkins 20 and as a non-vegetarian. It seems as if it should be, but I'd love some confirmation. I started experimenting with the Atkins 40 some weeks ago. I'm very happy with it and feel much healthier, but I haven't lost much weight, so I'm thinking to start over with a very serious induction phase of Atkins 20. I would be very grateful to know the answers to the questions I've put out here.
February 12, 2015 01:13 PM EST