<February 2013>
17181920212223
10 Ways to Succeed on Induction

The Induction Phase is your first introduction to Atkins. This is the time when you have the chance to jumpstart your weight loss, and it allows your body to become accustomed to burning fat for fuel instead of carbs. If you succeed in Induction, the next Phases of Atkins should become progressively easier. Here are 10 suggestions for making Induction a success, and setting the stage for continued weight loss in the next three Phases of Atkins.

1) Count your Net Carbs. Make the most of your 20 grams of Net Carbs (the grams of total carbs minus grams of fiber, which has virtually no impact on your blood sugar.Don’t forget to count lemon juice and other acceptable condiments and include 1 gram of Net Carbs for sugar substitutes. And most important, don’t use your carb allowance for foods that are high in sugar and starches and low in fiber. And by all means, don’t cut your Net Carbs and substitute protein and fat.

2) Eat your veggies! Make sure you are eating 12 to 15 of your net carb grams in the form of foundation vegetables. If you’re not, you may be constipated, which may impact the  number on your scale. The fiber and moisture in vegetables also help you feel full and satisfied. ). You could have a big salad at lunch, a side salad at dinner and still have several servings of your favorite cooked veggies.

3) Drink your water. Eight daily cups is the standard recommendation, but the larger and more active you are, the more you need. Two cups can come from coffee or tea (caffeinated is fine), herb tea, sugar-free sodas or broth. As long as your urine is clear or very pale, you’re drinking enough. Don’t ever skimp on fluids in a misguided effort to see a lower number when you hop on the scale. Not drinking enough water actually makes your body retain fluid as a protective mechanism.

4) Consume a little salt (or broth or tamari/soy sauce) to avoid experiencing weakness, headaches, muscle cramps or lightheadedness as your body transitions to primarily burning fat for energy. Since Atkins is a naturally diuretic diet, you don’t need to avoid salt to minimize water retention. The symptoms can be the result of an electrolyte imbalance caused by losing minerals along with fluid. Caution: continue to limit salt if you’re being treated for hypertension or your doctor has advised you to limit sodium intake.

5) Eat 4 to 6 ounces of cooked protein at each meal, depending on your height and gender. A petite woman may be satiated by 4 ounces; a guy may need 6 ounces. A very tall guy may even need a bit more. Eating too much protein—or eating only protein and not vegetables—or conversely, skimping on protein, will interfere with weight loss and/or leave you hungry and subject to carb cravings.

6) Eat enough fat to feel satisfied. You need dietary fat to help stimulate the burning of body fat. And if you skimp on fat and are eating the right amount of protein and carbohydrates, you’ll be hungry and give into urges for carbohydrates. Remember, natural fats are fine when you control carb intake. On the other hand, don’t assume you can eat as much fat as you want. Calories from fat do add up, even on a low-carb diet.

7) Watch for Hidden carbs. Simply by reading package labels, you can avoid those added sugars and other sneaky carbs. Just because a package says it’s low in calories doesn’t mean it’s low in carbs. Avoid low-calorie products unless they’re labeled as low carb. Likewise, use full-fat versions of mayonnaise, salad dressing and the like. Low-fat versions of packaged foods almost invariably add sugar to replace the flavor carried by oil. If the label is unclear, check out the food in a carb counter.

8) Write it down. Record what you eat in a diet journal every day or use all the great tools in the Community to monitor your progress and plan your meals. Putting pen to paper (or fingers to keyboard) allows you to see patterns you might miss otherwise. You’ll also quickly see if you’re consuming more carbs than you think you are.

9) Watch your calories. Although you don’t have to count calories on Atkins, this does not mean you can indulge in a protein, fat and foundation vegetable free-for-all. Too much of anything will cause your weight loss to stall, or contribute to weight gain. If this starts happening to you, you may need a reality check. Women should shoot for a range of 1,500 to 1,800 calories a day, while men should aim for 1,800 to 2,200. Cut your calories if you’re not losing weight, and if you are used to counting calories, you will know where your range is.

10) Look in your medicine cabinet. Certain over-the-counter (OTC) drugs could slow your weight loss, including nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), including aspirin, ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil) and naproxen (Aleve, Naprosyn) cause water retention and may block fat burning. Cut back on these is possible. If you need additional pain relief, try acetaminophen (Tylenol or Panadol), which is not a NSAID.

Published Wednesday, February 06, 2013 02:48 PM by colette_heimowitz
Filed Under: Induction, Weight Loss
Comments
lisabe said:
Never thought about my use of NSAIDS. Thanks for reminding me about that. Will switch to acetaminophen.
February 06, 2013 03:09 PM EST
K R I S T E N said:
Your blogs are always super helpful!
February 06, 2013 03:20 PM EST
septemberbab said:
Thank you !
February 06, 2013 04:26 PM EST
littlelaughsmom said:
Thanks...
February 06, 2013 05:58 PM EST
Golf Gal Cheryl said:
Thanks for consolidating all the info...Cheryl
February 06, 2013 07:46 PM EST
Get-it-done said:
Wow, just started today. What a timely blog, thank you! :)
February 06, 2013 09:40 PM EST
olanderk said:
Suggestions for getting into ketosis? Are there any foods that will jump start ketosis? I have been consuming 2 to 3 daily of the bars and drinks. Are these allowed in induction phase? Teacher/Mom needs help. I crave chocolate all of the time.
February 06, 2013 11:36 PM EST
sharec said:
great blog!
February 07, 2013 11:33 AM EST
happy4848 said:
I have two weeks before going on a last minute Jamaica vaca... I did Adkins many years ago and lost 40 lbs, but they then had you eat as much protein and fat as you wanted , mayo etc. and then of course the 20 carb for induction portion. Has the diet been modified to restrict things like mayo, bacon, etc. What is my best plan of attack to lose as much as possible in 2 weeks. Thank you so much for any help.
February 07, 2013 12:54 PM EST
sarakarlsruher said:
Any suggestions for restarting Atkins? I recently got back on the band wagon and it's not as effective as before. I expected that but I was wondering what I could do to help.
February 07, 2013 01:50 PM EST
Charlene8857 said:
Any breakfast suggestions for people who don't eat eggs? I just printed the induction menu plan and too many egg dishes. The mere small of cooked eggs will make me vomit. HELP!!
February 08, 2013 08:39 AM EST
happiness29 said:
Charlene8857, I like eggs but I do get sick of them once in awhile. I am also a mom on the go, so most mornings I do not have time to cook so I eat the Atkins Meal bars, I like the cookie dough bars ,yum :) Atkins has alot of different bars and shakes to choose from. Or maybe a ham or turkey and cheese roll up? Hope that helped a little.
February 08, 2013 01:53 PM EST
Jessi713 said:
Ive been on Atkins since Jan 7th and have lost 12lbs so far. Need to loose about 100. I also suffer with PCOS (poly-cystic ovaries) and this diet has done amazing things with my hormone levels so far. I do still have mad cravings at times for cakes and sugary sweets. I have tried the Atkins meal bars but for me they are like a tease for the real thing right now and need to stay away. My question is do you have any suggestions that could help make these cravings easier to handle?
February 09, 2013 11:26 AM EST
HI olanderk . Sorry for late response, I have been traveling and just had a moment to check blog questions. Eating a well-constructed Atkins is the best way to ensure fat burning (ketosis). There is no food that will speed things up except being 100% compliant and eating enough healthy fats, adequate protein, and foundation vegetables. Best to read New Atkins for a New You for the latest and greatest. If you are losing weight consuming 2 bars a day, by all means continue. It does help calm chocolate cravings. That will improve over time. If three bars are causing a slowdown in weight loss limit to two daily this is what we usually recommend.
February 09, 2013 01:58 PM EST
Hello happy4848. Have a great time on vacation. If you follow a well constructed Atkins Induction you will lose weight and feel great. In the New Atkins for a New You, Drs Westman, Phinney, and Volek describe the OPTIMAL intake of protein, fat, and vegetables for best results. Very little has changed , one example is that we now count net carbs (which is total carbs minus fiber). This allows for more vegetable intake.
February 09, 2013 02:03 PM EST
sarakarlsruher... welcome home. Just do as I recommended before; a well-constructed Induction as outlined in New Atkins for a New You will do the trick. The second time around is never as good as the first. You are older,and probably more insulin resistant from gaining weight. Hang in there, your body will adapt and the weight will come off.
February 09, 2013 02:07 PM EST
Charlene8857... i love eggs but not for breakfast. I have an Atkins protein drink or a Atkins Advantage meal bar. You can also eat leftover dinner, turkey and cheese roll ups, sausage, or salmon, or cream cheese in celery. You also have the option after two weeks of adding nuts or nut butter which can be had in celery stalk as well.
February 09, 2013 02:10 PM EST
Jessi713 ... good for you. Some people find total abstinnce from sweet is what is best for them. I promise you sugar cravings will improve on Atkins over time. For now just make sure you are keeping fortified with frequent feedings. Either 3 melas and 2 or 3 snacks, or 6 mini meals. If you avaoid a drop in blood suagr, the cravings will improve.
February 09, 2013 02:13 PM EST
granimals said:
Working on induction phase! This is awesome! Great support and ideas. Eating a variety of proteins has helped to not get stuck in a rut!
February 09, 2013 06:48 PM EST
joy4todd said:
This is a great checklist that I use daily. Thanks.
February 09, 2013 08:18 PM EST
Carmenle said:
HI. I AM NEW TO ATKINS. I HATE FISH AND AVOCADOS. DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEAS FOR THE HEALTHY FATS THAT ARE GOOD FOR THE INDUCTION PERIOD? ALSO, HOW MUCH FATS SHOULD I BE EATING?THANKS.
February 10, 2013 02:02 AM EST
Hi Carmenle. You can use flax seed oil or the capsules for omega 3 fats. Fish oil capsules are the most potent and if you get a good brand you won't taste them. Olive oil is another healthy fat for monounstaurated fats.
February 10, 2013 03:57 PM EST
Cathy2050 said:
I want to start atkins, but I have IBS so I cannot eat too much fiber or I will be int the bathroom constantly. Usually fats are a trigger for me as well.
February 10, 2013 06:51 PM EST
vkell said:
Hi Colette, I am on day 5 and have had success so far except for puffing up like mad because I ate Atkins frozen meals Saturday, and Sunday I woke up like a puffer fish...the frozen meals have really high sodium levels. I should have read the labels, my own fault. I have HBP. PCOS, Hypothyroidism, no gallbladder due to a heredity issue, and I take a potassium supplement due to an electrolyte issue, HBP med., a multivitamin, and a omega 3 supplement...that being said, I wanted to ask what would be great for me to prepare in advance so I can grab and go that is low in sodium? Thanks :)
February 11, 2013 04:13 AM EST
Cathy2050... Just used well cooked vegetables, no raw vegetables. You need fat, but spread out evenly through out the day with six mini meals rather than 3 large meals.
February 11, 2013 04:22 PM EST
February 11, 2013 04:25 PM EST
rosemaryarp said:
Thank you for the information. This is my second round on the Atkins diet. It is not going as well as last time. Your blog is very encouraging.
February 11, 2013 06:51 PM EST
chatshana said:
Thank you for the tips to induction. I am a 32 years old female and started off Atkin induction about two weeks ago and lost 10 pounds in 14 days. Now yesterday, my weight has increased about 1.8 lbs over the weekend. I was under my net carb goal. I had proteins (though a bit deep fried) and veggies. I am now concerned that what could have gone wrong? Further, I read that people lose around 15 lbs in 2 weeks of induction. I have only lost 10 lbs. I workout 5 times a week for at least 50 minutes (treadmills and low-impact aerobics). Am I catching up right? Thanks
February 12, 2013 12:44 AM EST
debradom said:
Ugh - I am going on my 3rd week and have not lost any weight - I am worried I am not meeting the carb requirements if that is possible. I am writing everything down, and dont like sweets, so that is not a problem. Proteins is not a problem either, unless I am eating too much of that. Too much cheese maybe? I have a few of my days recorded on the planner. not sure if you can access that. Ketone strips are pale, but say there are trace or small ketones. Any ideas? TYVM!
February 12, 2013 01:15 PM EST
vkell said:
"Your sensitivity to sodium will improve over time on Atkins. In the meanwhile you are stuck with eating only whole foods where you can control sodium. Basically it is just a matter of using a wide variety of fresh protein choices, vegetables, and healthy fats." Thanks, that's what I have been doing and I am back to normal. I keep peeled hard boiled eggs in a zip bag in the fridge, fresh veggies and bagged greens, shrimp and flounder in the freezer, plus I am making mini turkey meatloaf type items in cupcake tins so I can freeze them for easy grab and go...I am however happy to hear that my sodium sensitivity will improve on Atkins. Thanks for the info. again :) Best of luck on THE TALK Friday!
February 13, 2013 06:53 AM EST
cleanerbee said:
I am new to Adkins also. I have been on the diet for nearly two weeks and had lost 4 lbs. But this morning have gained 1 pound back! I am using sugar free flavor packets in my water. Could that be what is slowing me down? I have also been eating a little sugar free jello. Any suggestions to why my weight loss is so slow? I really have a hard time drinking plain water. Thanks for any help.
February 13, 2013 10:21 AM EST
alice byer said:
i am down 11 lbs since jan 24th my keytone strips are pale i will gain a lb back everyso often and loose it again but now it has slowed way down. should keytone strips be dark? if so any ideas to do better?
February 13, 2013 10:31 PM EST
pammapamma said:
wow this really answered alotof questions I had . thanks for the info
February 14, 2013 01:00 PM EST
penny1663 said:
I need help!!!! I started the Atkins diet at my job back July 2012 and i gained weight and others lost. I do have an under active thyroid problem. Any suggestions, ideas. I must have done something wrong. I welcome all recipesand all suggestions. Part of my problem now is my husband passed away two and half years ago and i have gained weight. All please help!!! I'm proving my email address plg1663@gmail.com to receive recipes ideas and much needed advice. Thanks to ya'll in advance
February 14, 2013 01:38 PM EST
gingram said:
I need help. I am not losing. I think I have been good and I am really, really trying to not miss a beat. I take several medications which may be affecting my success. Can you tell me which ones are the worse? Estrogen Anti-depresson Allergies ADHD Please help. I have not been able to lose on any other diets either. I used to exercise but I am not able to do much anymore due to a back problem, whould this also affect my weight loss?
February 15, 2013 01:14 PM EST
aramirez1017 said:
I just started today (day after Valentine's day):)) I bought lots of Atkins frozen meals to make sure I am not going over the 20 grams a day. Is that ok? If I get hungry, am I allowed to eat your bars for phase 1? Btw, I just tried your breakfast meal one and I couldn't finish it all, it is a huge serving.
February 15, 2013 01:23 PM EST
lynnevon said:
Thank you for the tips, but I'm not very happy with #9. I hate counting calories and I've never had to do it on Atkins. I do watch my portions and measure my food to avoid overeating, but I've found that eating a low carb diet is a natural appetite suppressant- I can eat as much as I need to feel satisfied without worrying about calories. Please don't make me count calories, I thought that was the opposite of what Atkins is all about. Maybe someone already brought this up? it is a pretty long thread :)
February 15, 2013 05:04 PM EST
35moretogo said:
What is the difference in net carbs and digestable carbs
February 16, 2013 10:26 AM EST
raynawallace said:
Is feeling dizzy and weak normal for the first two week phase? I just started 5 days ago and have been feeling tired and weak. I eat meals and snacks normally. I am staying under 20-25 carbs. per day.
February 16, 2013 08:12 PM EST
Amber said:
Had no idea about the pain relievers! Good info!
February 17, 2013 11:47 PM EST
Clewell68 said:
I am 5 weeks smoke free and now it is time for me to tackle my next obstacle. But am SCARED/NERVOUS! I have tried many different weight loss programs and even had lap band surgery in 2011...all of this with little-to no success. At 40-something, I really don't want to FAIL AGAIN and disappoint myself and those in my support network. I'm also not sure if my pocketbook can handle the cost difference in food considering I am currently unemployed and finances are very tough right now. Being unemployed also makes comfort foods more desirable!
February 18, 2013 12:27 PM EST
not2old2bethin said:
Great information....thank you so very much to all. I am on my first 2 weeks. I am down 9 pounds and I am so happy. But getting tired of the same old thing I've been sticking to like glue because it's working. Love the info. Little turkey meatloafs, here I come. I to wondered about not having a gallbladder, so far so good. Got some of my salt by crunching on pork rinds. Thanks again, found a place I could consult!
February 20, 2013 07:57 AM EST
littleton.pamela@dol.gov said:
Very timely article! I'm starting on Saturday. And like another blogger, I didn't know that about NSAIDS also! I take Naproxen for my body aches, but will switch to Tylenol while I'm trying to lose weight.
February 20, 2013 03:20 PM EST
skeegan said:
Hello everyone. Colette, I am very confused right now and looking to see if you can answer a couple of questions. I am in the Army and crunched for time most of the week. Is it okay to rely heavily on the Atkins bars and shakes as long as I get the products for Phase I? Also, I am confused regarding the Endulge product line. It says during Induction not to eat nuts, but some of the Endulge bars, that are stated as being good for every phase, has nuts in them. I am not sure if I can eat them or not. Thank you for your time.
February 21, 2013 05:38 PM EST
vesguerr@yahoo.com said:
I just started two days ago and Im focused on both weight loss and and lowering my blood sugar. I already lost 2 lbs. but my fasting blood sugar is still above normal. How long do you think BS will go down ?
February 21, 2013 05:40 PM EST
**Michele** said:
Boy Atkins has really changed! Ten years ago it was basically eat all the meat and cheese you want, with a small salad....now from what Im reading it is very little proteins and lots of vegetables. Im very confused. I was going to start tomorrow, but now Im not so sure.
February 22, 2013 08:45 PM EST
christinelynn65 said:
Great advise! I have been on this for 1 week and lost 6 pounds! Great thing about this, I don't feel so hungry all the time. The lean protein and all the veggies are getting me through the day. Induction has such a variety to choose from! I have not tried any of the frozen meal or meal bar options. I think I would like to try the shakes and bars for those "crazy" days when I can't cook. Good luck everyone!!
February 23, 2013 06:54 PM EST
RuttyRutRut said:
Is it ok to eat mainly the frozen meals and supplement with salads? I work 12 hour days and find it hard to cook
February 24, 2013 02:16 PM EST
RuttyRutRut said:
February 24, 2013 02:16 PM EST
mely79 said:
Hello, and good morning. I am starting day one of inductin and would like to know if all natural yogurt is an acceptable option. I usually enjoy about a cup with a packet of equal added for taste. Can I have this through induction?
February 28, 2013 12:16 PM EST
Bonhay said:
Hi Colette I started on 1/28/2013 and have only lost 7lbs. I am following atkins to the letter but am not exercising yet. I am on estrogen/progesterone and hypo thyroid meds. Not sure what i can do differently to help move the scale. Can i eat less than 20 carbs? Thank you
March 11, 2013 12:20 PM EST