<October 2013>
20212223242526
Battling the Metabolic Bully.. Two ways to prevent holiday weight gain.

Have you ever been the victim of a bully? How about when the triple-threat of Halloween candy, Thanksgiving pies and Christmas cookies attempt to bully their way into your low-carb meal plan?

Perhaps when you were a kid an older youngster pushed you around or prevented you from using the swings in the playground or grabbed your sandwich at lunch. If you’re lucky, that childhood experience or two has inflicted no lasting damage on your psyche. But this other bully—the metabolic bully right within your own body—can damage you on a daily basis by interfering with your ability (and resolve) to achieve a healthy weight. In the simplest terms, this metabolic bully rears its ugly head when you exceed your tolerance for carbohydrates. But when you begin to tap into your body’s fat stores (burning fat for energy instead of carbs), you foil the metabolic bully that normally blocks access to your fat stores.

This metabolic adaptation, known as the Atkins Edge, provides a steady source of energy, helping control your appetite and eliminating or reducing carb cravings. It helps you lose fat pounds without experiencing undue hunger, cravings, energy depletions or any sense of deprivation. When you burn fat for energy all day (and all night), your blood sugar remains on an even keel. So how do you win the battle against this metabolic bully when the most food-focused time of the year is right around the corner? You can start planning now just by choosing from the following two options.

1) Stick with your personal carb balance, which will allow you to maintain the weight you’ve already lost, even through the holiday season.
2) Stay right below your personal carb balance and continue to lose weight.

And not to worry; I understand that no one is perfect, especially if you’re face to face with a plateful of Grandma’s famous cookies or a pile of mashed potatoes dripping with butter and gravy. As long as you have taken the time to set a few goals for yourself well in advance, and you have outlined a general plan, even if you stray a little, you will still be set up to get back on track once the holidays are over. If you maintain your weight during the holidays, consider it a win. If you gain a few pounds, just hop back to Phase 1 for a couple of weeks to lose the few pounds you might have gained.

Published Monday, October 21, 2013 10:57 AM by colette_heimowitz
Filed Under: Carb Balance/Carb Intolerance, Weight Loss, Nutrition, Cravings / Problem foods, Personal observations & lessons learned
Comments
k62jean said:
Good tips for me to remember' thank you! I would love some advice on a couple of things. This is my first time to try the Atkins diet and I feel that for this to be successful I will need some good plans that will help me. I travel every week for my job and I think I will be fine as long as I have the controls. However, I do get in situations where I have to go for business lunch or dinner and not always aware of the restaurant until it is time to go. Can you advise me on some safe foods that I can feel comfortable ordering and hopefully not standout as a member of the dinner party using up all the memory space of the waitress? I have a friend who also just started the plan and found herself in a simalr situation and opted for the salad with a buffalo sauce on the grilled chicken. She called me later that night so upset. When she arrived home and was able to look up the carb count she found it to be 80 net carbs. We tried to look on the positive that she had left off the dressing and did not eat the entire dish. Of course she got up the next day and made sure to get in her exercie and to get right back on track :-) Hope you can help.....
October 22, 2013 04:29 PM EST
oregon carb counter said:
When going out to eat, choose lunch or dinner items that contains meat that you like and ask them to leave off the starch and increase the green vegetable instead. Almost all restaurants have green beans or broccoli as a vegetable. If all can order is a salad (many fast food places have salad now) I always have them put cheese on my salads to help keep me full.. Chef salads are perfect, as well as Taco salads....(just don't eat the shell) Chicken is served almost everywhere, and is an excellent light meat to eat in its multiple possible forms. If it is breaded just try to peel off as much breading as possible. I f nothing else is available, I also sometimes order hamburgers or hot dogs with no buns. People usually smile and are happy to accommodate.
October 22, 2013 07:36 PM EST
sclement5841 said:
I just returned from a business trip and find that eating out has a lot of options. Of course, I have been doing this for years. It is a lifestyle and not a diet. I always pack some Atkins bars to fill in on the plane or when other snack items available are carb loaded - donuts, muffins, etc. Packing a can or packets of nuts is also helpful. At the airport, I ordered a cheeseburger with no bun, mayo on the side and no fries. When lunch was a selection of deli sandwiches at a conference, I picked up a couple and a pickle spear. I then pulled off the meats and cheeses, lettuce and ate as a salad. In better restaurants, chicken and seafood with a salad and green vegetables are always available. It soon becomes second nature. I never even think about eating bread with a meal and if I am by myself, I remember to ask them not to bring it.
October 23, 2013 09:34 AM EST
tips for eating out Don’t skip meals or arrive at a restaurant starving. When you are super hungry, you may lose your self-control when you come face to face with the breadbasket or high-carb appetizers. Instead, enjoy a hard-boiled egg or a few slices of cheese before you go out, or if you’re out running errands before dinner, snack on an Atkins Advantage™ bar. You can also ask for some steamed veggies to nibble on before your main course arrives. • Drink at least two glasses of water with your meal to help fill up. • Be adventurous: Try one or two dishes you’ve never had before instead of ordering the same ones time after time. If you’re bored with your food it’s harder to stick to your weight-control regimen, so go for variety. • Many restaurants feature their menus online. Try to visit their Web sites to review the offerings and map out your dining plan ahead of time. • Ask to have your dishes without the extras—rice, beans, potatoes or pasta. Most restaurants will also accommodate requests for a portion of vegetables in lieu of such high-carb starches. • Ask for sauces on the side so you can decide whether and how much to consume. • Soup is a great appetite squelcher. Miso soup, many cream soups and clear broth with meat or vegetables are all satisfying and delicious ways to jump-start a controlled carb meal. • Never save room for dessert. Go ahead and fill up on everything else so that you will feel satiated by the end of the meal and not prone to temptation. • Don’t give in to the “I deserve it” mode. What you deserve is to be healthy while still enjoying the foods you already love, not succumbing to unhealthy indulgences. • Don’t torture yourself if you accidentally consume something that’s been batter-dipped or a breaded. Remember that it’s only one meal. • If there’s a controlled carb dish you particularly relish at a restaurant, ask if you can find out how to make it at home. That way you can add to your repertoire of favorites and enjoy it as often as you like.
October 23, 2013 07:15 PM EST
alexgreenberg said:
Hi, I have been doing Atkins for over 5 weeks now and have only lost 3 pounds. I feel better and not as bloated but don't understand why I am not losing more weight. I have not had anything white the entire time: no bread, pasta, rice or potatoes and am only eating lean proteins (nitrate free), low sugar fruits like strawberry's, raspberries and blackberries, leafy greens like Kale chips, spinach, asparagus, broccoli, greenbeens, etc. I am eating cheese but not more than 4 ounces a day. Occasionally I eat a small handful of nuts like raw almonds or 2 tablespoons of peanut butter. Any suggestions?
October 24, 2013 02:24 PM EST
k62jean said:
Thank you all so much for the help. Now I feel much more prepared to face my biggest concern.
October 24, 2013 07:42 PM EST
Hi Alexgreenberg. Take your measurements with a tape measure once a week. the scale is the least reliable source of info to indicate fat burning. If you are losing inches, the scale is bound to catch up. You may still be in the adaptation phase of your new metabolism
October 28, 2013 03:17 PM EST
kimnelles said:
i have a question about gaining weight over the holidays. in your post, you said that if you find that you've gained weight over the holidays, just go back to phase 1 for a few weeks to get back on track. do you mean go back to induction? i thought that running back to induction every time you gained a little is not ideal. i want to learn to manage my weight and not feel like i have to re-start every time i mess up. Confused.
November 03, 2013 02:50 PM EST
foreverfit said:
anyone have any suggestions about how to eliminate drinking wine? this is really my only bad habit, it's not that it's been it's just ike a cookie or a chip, just can't have one. anyone??
November 06, 2013 02:46 PM EST
mhcervantes said:
Where to beans fit into the Atkins diet?
November 20, 2013 10:14 PM EST