<January 2013>
20212223242526
HOW TO RECOVER FROM INDISCRETIONS

To err is human. Even once you reach your goal weight, we know—and you know—that occasionally you’ll slip up. The following three situations should help you learn how to handle indiscretions, whether small or large.

Small Stuff
You find yourself chowing down a cherry Danish, a raisin bagel or another high-carb food of dubious value.
Recovery tactic: If your weight has been stable for several months, it’s likely that such an indiscretion won’t impact your weight, although it might make you feel sluggish for a day or two. If you are still on the weight loss phases of Atkins, this kind of step off the path can cause an overnight weight gain, and potentially four days before the scale picks up pace again. Once you realize what you’ve done, don’t waste your time and energy beating yourself up. Simply stop immediately and get back on track with your healthful way of eating. Just be sure to memorize the outcome and how you are feeling  so you think twice before trying that again .

A Week of Overindulgence
You spend a week in Cancun and succumb to the lure of quesadillas and margaritas.. Not only do you gain weight, you’re also plagued with carb cravings. Or you threw all reason to the wind and let yourself go over the holidays.
Recovery tactic: Since most of the weight gain from a brief episode of carb overindulgence is water, the best antidote is to reduce your carb intake. As soon as you get home, drop back to 20 daily grams of Net Carbs and stay there until the weight you gained comes off. Then you can start climbing the carb ladder again, and stay below your carbohydrate tolerance until you reach your goal weight. If the excess pounds won’t budge and you’re still experiencing cravings, Stay at 20 net carbs for more time until you get things under control.

Falling off the Wagon
An event such as a breakup with a significant other, a lost job or another major disappointment sends you back to your old, unhealthy eating habits. Even a positive event, such as beginning a relationship with someone who doesn’t follow the Atkins lifestyle, can trigger a lapse from your new eating habits. After several weeks and several pounds, you’re feeling disgusted with yourself. Your pre-Atkins symptoms have returned with a vengeance, and you can’t fit into your new clothes.
Recovery tactic: First of all, get off the guilt trip, which will just lead to more destructive eating. Instead, go back to a lower level of carbohydrate intake until your cravings are under control. Then slowly move back to your previous level to restore your weight loss until you reach your goal weight.

Object Lessons
What can you learn from these hypothetical examples?
1. The longer you wait to take action, the more aggressive your response needs to be. A minor slipup may require no action other than to examine why it happened and plan future defenses. A binge or period during which you depart from your low-carb way of eating demands more proactive measures.
2. The line between your carb threshold and overdoing it is extremely thin.
3. A cascading series of events can threaten your long-term weight control program.
4. You can always reverse the tide, by regaining control. You do this by getting rid of the bully; excess carbohydrates.

When you’re new to Atkins, you may honestly believe you’ll never backtrack. Maybe you’re one of those remarkably strong people who never do, but if you’re like many of us, you’ll occasionally slip up. Just remember that you have all the skills you need to execute a fast reverse and then move forward with the rest of your life full of health and vitality. Try not to linger too long on the negative, and know you have at your disposal all the tools and skills to succeed.

Published Tuesday, January 22, 2013 11:52 AM by colette_heimowitz
Filed Under: Induction, Carb Balance/Carb Intolerance, Plateau, Cravings / Problem foods, Personal observations & lessons learned
Comments
CynthiaThurmond said:
Thank you for that advise. I will need it when I go on my cruise in july. I already know I will endulge in all those carb loaded foods for a week. I have already planned to jump back on the wagon as soon as I return. Until then, I am doing my best to follow the plan.
January 22, 2013 12:10 PM EST
ma ma said:
Thanks we all need to hear that. We are human and we are going slip up.
January 22, 2013 12:16 PM EST
moneyspender said:
I fell off the wagon, but I am back in the saddle again, I had a health scare[ cancer], I do not have it, but when I thought I did I went to my comfort Mexican food. I gained 10 lbs, but have now lost that and another lb. I forgot how good I feel when I am on the plan. I know there will be some slip ups along the way, but I am staying with this plan because it works!
January 22, 2013 12:31 PM EST
Golf Gal Cheryl said:
Thanks Colette...I belong to a gourmet dining group ( 4 couples ea do a course of the dinner from scratch) that gets together every 2 months and would like to plan for that dining indiscretion. Would I drop back to lowest carbs to handle that weight gain quickly? Cheryl
January 22, 2013 12:38 PM EST
~ElizabethMarie~ said:
Great blog post! I'm going to print this and keep it close during my journey. Thank you
January 22, 2013 11:45 PM EST
Singerstone said:
I like the point that you make to scale back your carbs until you are back to where you need to be. I think that is very useful. Its how i started my phase 1 at the beginning of this year and If/ when life happens, its how I'll return. Thank you for confirming this idea.
January 23, 2013 12:20 AM EST
Yes Cheryl. drop back to lowest carbs to handle that weight gain quickly. Not that this should be done too often because you can lose the Atkins Edge and it would become more and more difficult to take it off, but every few months planning ONE day should be OK. Also remember to pick your poison, don't throw ALL reason to the wind. Watch your portions and only do what is necessary.
January 23, 2013 03:35 PM EST
curlym said:
Cynthia, you can enjoy your cruise and stay well within the Atkins plan....just stay out of the buffet lines, that's where they get you! Think lobster, steak etc. with salads wonderful vegetables, go to the sit down dinner where portions are controlled . My husband and I take cruises every couple of years and while we eat well and yes some of the bad things too we always take advantage of the activities....be adventurous. We especially enjoyed the private spa packages, you can get weekly deals that allow you into private area with steam rooms, dry saunas etc. Don't forget to dance like no one is watching and you will not see the weight gain- you will never see those people again anyways!
Good luck to you!
January 23, 2013 09:37 PM EST
Mizbudzo said:
Thank you , Cheryl! Your post was timely-I am supposed to be at the beginning of Phase 2, but have put on 3-5 pounds, depending upon where the scale is.... I know the weight will come off, it just scares me to think that I am going to have to master the carbs by moving ahead, instead of the other way around. Any hints for OWL?

Thanks again for the encouragement.
January 26, 2013 08:31 AM EST
skinnyaileen said:
Well I'm going on Vacation in a few weeks I really want to enjoy every aspect including eating some of the foods in my home land puerto rico very high carb food. Any sugestion I'll be there for 10days.
January 29, 2013 02:04 PM EST
ERD1957 said:
Adkins has always worked great for me, but now I am in menopause and it slows down the weight loss. I do 20 to 25 carbs a day. Any suggestions pls?
February 04, 2013 09:31 AM EST
MissVivianne01@yahoo.com said:
My sister and I are doing the diet together. She is losing more than me at this moment because she wakes up at one or two in the afternoon and may not eat her "breakfast" until late in the day. She averages maybe eight to twelve net carbs a day. Is this alright? Sometimes, she may not eather first meal of the day until late in the evening. Can this method help one to lose more weight? is thsi healthy?
February 07, 2013 04:02 PM EST