<August 2012>
19202122232425
New Analysis Confirms; Atkins is Good for Your Heart and Your Waistline

It’s always encouraging when research continues to show us that Atkins is a safe and effective diet plan, leading to both weight loss and improved cardiovascular health. A just-released meta-analysis study published in the August issue of Obesity Reviews reviewed the results of 17 clinical trials analyzing the effects of a low-carbohydrate diet on body weight and other cardiovascular risk factors.

The findings show that compared to a baseline diet, the Atkins Diet may be able to improve multiple risk factors, including significant decreases in body weight, BMI, abdominal circumference, systolic blood pressure, diastolic blood pressure, plasma triglycerides, fasting plasma glucose, glycated haemoglobin, plasma insulin and plasma CRP (an inflammation marker), as well as an increase in HDL (good) cholesterol. This increase in good cholesterol was great news, as it is very often a tough goal to achieve.

Plus the fact that a low-carb diet like Atkins can help decrease waist circumference (another established cardiovascular risk factor) is just one more reason why this way of eating is good for your health. Atkins is backed by thousands of real-life testimonials and success stories, and the fact that the scientific community continues to present positive findings that support the safety, effectiveness and health benefits of Atkins is even better news, especially considering the fact that obesity continues to be a growing problem. It’s encouraging to see that Atkins can be part of the solution to this problem.

USA Today posted an article covering the study. The Foster quote says it all; "We have passed the time where we would say the Atkins diet is bad for you. That's an outdated position; this is a viable alternative for weight loss."

Published Friday, August 31, 2012 12:04 PM by colette_heimowitz
Filed Under: Nutrition
Comments
naugy81 said:
I love hearing news like this. Thank You Dr. Atkins!
August 31, 2012 01:07 PM EST
sognatrice said:
It is great that so many recent studies vindicating the Atkins approach have been reported in the mainstream press this year! Thanks for the update, Colette:)
August 31, 2012 10:12 PM EST
Texas Dollie said:
I love this news. It helps me combat the raised eyebrows of people who still succumb to the "quack diet" theory. Bookmarking...
September 01, 2012 09:32 AM EST
Serri said:
It is about time! Wonderful news. Thank you Dr. Atkins and staff!!!
September 02, 2012 11:17 AM EST
said:
For the naysayers - they need to read and educate themselves on this website as Atkins has evolved so much over the years. Even besides the benefits listed, there are some other benefits as well that most will experience!
September 05, 2012 03:40 PM EST
Oneerin1 said:
I'm 65 pounds less than I was 6 months ago, my body has to be in better condition just because of that! Not to mention it's getting easier to get moving and exercise more and more....every day I get healthier because of this diet!
September 06, 2012 10:06 AM EST
Lynn175 said:
I feel great following this plan. Lost 70 lbs
September 10, 2012 04:51 PM EST
Coyote50 said:
It is definitely good to have these studies show that Atkins is healthy. I have lost 25 pounds - did it in about 4 months and have kept it off for another 18 months. However, while my triglycerides went WAY down and my HDL is good, my LDL is awful and isn't going down. My doctor is having a fit and blaming my diet. I eat a TON of vegetables. Is there a way that we should be adjusting our diets if we have high LDL? And I mean mine is really high - 250! It went down a little bit in the first 6 months and then over the last year has gone back up to somewhat higher than it was before I started the diet. Has anyone looked at this?
September 25, 2012 11:58 AM EST
18spin50 said:
Coyote50, I would have your doctor check for hypothyroidism. Check this link: http://perfecthealthdiet.com/category/disease/hypothyroidism/
October 05, 2012 03:36 PM EST
santa512 said:
this is great news to hear. I had weight loss surgery august 2011 and lost about 75 Lbs im going back on atkins to loose the rest of my weight.
October 22, 2012 09:53 PM EST