<March 2012>
18192021222324
More Good News About Atkins

A brand new study from Johns Hopkins University just presented yesterday at the American Heart Association’s Epidemiology and Prevention/Nutrition, Physical Activity and Metabolism 2012 conference in San Diego found that dieters who followed a low-carb diet like Atkins shed more weight than those on a low-fat diet (10 pounds more in six months). The low-carb group lost more abdominal fat overall, plus there was no adverse effect on vascular health. These findings show what any of us who follow Atkins already know to be true—Not only can Atkins provide quick, satisfying weight loss, it also has many scientifically-validated health benefits, including improvements in heart health.

The study examined overweight or obese but otherwise healthy individuals between the ages of 30 and 65 years over a 6-month period. One group was randomly assigned a low-carbohydrate diet and the other a low-fat diet.   The low-carb group consumed a diet made up of no more than 30 percent of calories from carbs and as much as 40 percent of their diet was made up of fats.  Exercise was included for all participants and vascular health was checked before and after 6 months. Successful weight loss and reductions in total and abdominal fat, and BP were achieved with both groups.  Greater reductions in weight, BMI, waist circumference, and body fat occurred in the low-carb group. The low-fat diet consisted of no more than 30 percent from fat and 55 percent from carbs.

Additionally, when individual variations were examined, a greater loss of abdominal fat was associated with enhanced vascular health.

In his presentation lead researcher Kerry Stewart, professor of medicine and director of clinical and research exercise physiology at Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine and Heart and Vascular Institute, said, “These findings are contrary to common beliefs that the less fat you eat the better your cardiovascular health.  What this study shows is that a low-carb diet not only helps people shed more weight and abdominal fat, but it did not have any harmful effects on vascular health.  Overall, there was an improvement in vascular health that was related to how much abdominal fat was lost, regardless of the diet. These data suggest that more people should be considering a low-carb diet as a viable option, especially since it results in greater abdominal fat loss."

If a low-carb diet like Atkins lets you lose more weight plus keep it off for the long term without feelings of deprivation or hunger, while lowering various risk factors that may contribute to heart disease, the choice should be clear. And fortunately new research continues to support this even more. What are you waiting for?

Published Thursday, March 15, 2012 11:29 AM by colette_heimowitz
Filed Under: Nutrition
Comments
TheChiTownGal said:
I am going to share this with all my freinds who seem to be so skeptical!!!!! Thanks.
March 15, 2012 03:09 PM EST
mygirlie said:
This is so awesome.....the more these studies continue to demonstrate the safety and efficacy of a low carb approach the better chance it becomes mainstream which alone will help so many people get healthy! I'm going to spread the word.....
March 15, 2012 05:35 PM EST
iCheryl said:
I have been trying to lose the excess weight forever, it seems. Since starting on Atkins since end of January I have lost at least 22 pounds and I think more this week. I only weigh myself on the weekend and that was the loss as of last weekend. The past couple of days I can feel and see a difference in the size of my stomach and legs. Very good news indeed! And, I don't starve myself or feel deprived in the least. The blogs on this site are very helpful too with lots of stories of success and people reaching out for help or sharing recipes. Very good news that John Hopkins confirms what we are learning!
March 15, 2012 06:28 PM EST
sognatrice said:
It's great to see another empirical study that supports controlled carbohydrate dieting. it seems important to point out that the so-called low-carbers in this study achieved more favorable outcomes than the so-called low-fat dieters, despite still eating 30% of their calories as carbohydrate (which is 113 grams of carbohydrate in a 1500 calorie a day diet -- way more than someone eats during Phases 1-3 of Atkins). Collette, do you know of any studies where the so-called low-carbers actually stick to Atkins Phase 1/Induction guidelines? I would imagine the rate of weight loss and abdominal fat loss would be even greater:)
March 17, 2012 08:48 PM EST
sugarcube said:
im from México, where we have a big obesity and eating disorders problems. I have being doing Atkins and studying about the alternative paradigm on nutrition. I could recover my health and los near of 70 punds. Im looking for help to spread all this knowledge in my country. if you know some organization that can help us in México will be magnifique. Thanx and good luck :)
March 27, 2012 06:03 PM EST
saberj2x said:
been in the atkins grrove for 7 weeks now and lost so far 24 pounds :) wont change the picture yet because it reminds me where I was...
March 27, 2012 06:33 PM EST
polenske said:
i have just started to do the atkins program and i really dont know if i am going to stay with it. but i am going to try it for a month and see.
April 04, 2012 12:07 PM EST
pab518572 said:
Just started Atkins two weeks ago today. I lost 4 pounds and was getting high into ketosis but now the ketosis strips seem to have slowed down why? I haven't done anything different in the past 3 days that i did in the beginning. Why am i not staying in ketosis
April 05, 2012 04:30 PM EST
pab518572 said:
April 05, 2012 04:30 PM EST
mydelight said:
Read one of the "success stories". She mentioned a modification of the Atkins if you have thyroid problems. Do you know anything about this? Thank you~~MyDelight
April 06, 2012 10:37 AM EST
getmefit said:
HOLIDAY FOODS-Here goes. Huge Italian family with all the carbs I love! Had ham, eggs with cheddar for protein & am going for an early walk. I'll eat something like a snack bar at 11:30, then church & party begins at 2! I'll take my seltzer & martini glass to "feel" like I'm partying & nibble on some olives, cheese & prociotto. Got to stay away from the pasta-I'll try!!! Hopefully there's a meat & salad! Dessert-maybe I'll take some ricotta & mix with Splenda so I'll feel like I'm eating a cannoli...Been on Atkins for 2 weeks, needed to lose 15 lbs-lost 7.5 so 1/2 way there! In my 60's with low blood pressure & hypothroidism, so weight comes off slowly..try to walk daily, but sometimes too tired. We're getting a puppy tomorrow, so will HAVE to walk-GOOD! Going for my 1/2 hr. walk now-Happy Eater!
April 08, 2012 09:54 AM EST