<December 2012>
16171819202122
Take Time for You This Holiday Season

As you head into the last few weeks of this year’s holiday season, it may be tempting to throw low-carb eating (and any type of exercise) out the window as you operate in pure survival mode, marching through your holiday to do list with frantic intensity. This year, take a moment give yourself a very important gift; that of health and time. By taking a little extra time to ensure you get a few moments of healthy activity each day and have some low-carb snacks and meals on hand, you will have that much more energy to say no to the Santa cookies at your kid’s class party or that extra glass of eggnog at your office holiday party. In fact, you may find you have more energy, period, to tackle all the extra chores that seem to add up at this time of the year. Here’s are some other strategies that have always worked for me:

Stock Up. Make sure your favorite low-carb staples are still a part of your weekly shopping list, and keep snacks and quick-and-easy low-carb meals on hand for when the cravings hit.

Spoil Your Appetite! If tempting goodies are too hard to turn away from, focus on spoiling your appetite before you head out to that holiday party or dinner. Fortify yourself with a filling Atkins-friendly snack before you go. My favorite snacks are almonds and strawberries, Cheddar cheese with some strips of red pepper or, of course, an Atkins Advantage bar or a shake. Or you could a have a small low-carb meal, such as a chef salad topped with grilled chicken. You can also heat up one of Atkins new frozen meals, for a hot and delicious low-carb meal, even when you’re on the run. The combination of a small amount of carbs with either fat or protein will stabilize your blood sugar so you don’t arrive famished. That way, you’ll have the physical backup to your mental fortitude so you can pass up holiday foods that are not on your low-carb meal plan.

Hold the Booze. When alcoholic beverages are being served, limit yourself to a glass (or two at the most) of wine or one glass of spirits. That’s assuming that you are out of Induction, of course. Just be sure to have your spirits with water or a mixer made without sugar in any form.

Plan Ahead for Atkins-Friendly Festivities. There can be many Atkins-friendly options at holiday functions. Stick to the roast turkey, ham, roast beef, salmon filet or other protein dishes, as well as tossed salads and “foundation vegetables.” If you’re in the later phases of Atkins, have modest portions of sweet potatoes, carrots, or other starchy veggies—or even some whole-grain bread. You may want to sneak in an Endulge bar for your dessert. At sit-down meals, there’s no rule against simply not serving yourself a food you want to stay away from. If your hostess insists, take a small portion, have a tiny taste and leave it at that. And for any of these occasions, you can always bring in some of your favorite Atkins-friendly party dishes, holiday meals or side dishes. Your friends and family will love the taste, and if you don’t tell them, they may never know they are even low-carb. Or if you tell them, they may be convinced to try Atkins with you.

Get Real. No matter how “good” you are when it comes to holiday temptations; the reality is that you’ll probably take in a few extra carbs. The best way to deal with that is to get up the next morning and get back on track. The worst thing you can do is wallow in guilt and decide that you’ve blown it and need to wait until after the holidays to get serious about your weight. There’s nothing like some hearty exercise to make you feel good about yourself and help you renew your commitment.

Enjoy this time of the year, and remember what is important: family, friends, your holiday traditions and the memories you create. Follow the previous tips as well, and you will be well on your way to a healthy and happy New Year.

Published Wednesday, December 19, 2012 12:02 PM by colette_heimowitz
Filed Under: Cravings / Problem foods, Personal observations & lessons learned
Comments
naugy81 said:
Great advice! Happy Holidays to you!!
December 19, 2012 05:09 PM EST
lindav310 said:
I especially like the part about - if you over indulge, "just get up the next morning and get back on track." I personally am looking at giving myself two free days over the next few weeks, when I know I will be attending events, that I promise to not indulge in guilt. Because I have made changes to my lifestyles, I will already be less inclined to overindulge as I have in the past. However, I realize that as long as I only do it for ONE day, I can give myself a break and it is okay. I think the biggest motivator for me is knowing that if I gorge on sugars and baked goods, I will feel lousy when it catches up to me, and I really do not want to do that!
December 21, 2012 09:54 AM EST
Marysusan2 said:
All these comments are good for me to hear. I will be going to Christmas eve where there is alcohol and sugar and white flour. Two very big no-no's for me. Now Christmas day I will have lots of things that is Atkins approved food because I will be bringing it myself. I think I will just keep it simple and stay in the one day I have. Thank you for all the suggestions. Marysusan2
December 21, 2012 07:18 PM EST
Jackie H said:
The tip really helped. Im on day two with this progam. I' m struggling with the hunger but having to read your comment about keeping low carb snacks and having the adkins frozen meals around this should help me. Thanks
December 27, 2012 08:39 AM EST
mymichelec said:
well said. Thank You for always being practical..
December 27, 2012 07:50 PM EST
camansfield1958 said:
I would like to know if the Atkins Diet is safe for Type II Diabetics. I have struggled with my weight all my life and I need help. My sugar is out of wack bad. Thanks :)
December 29, 2012 05:17 PM EST
abaker4752 said:
Camansfield...you asked about Diabetes II... Here's a link to many of Collette's previous blogs on the matter and you can read for yourself..... Hope this helps...short answer to your question would be "Yes". http://blogs.atkins.com/Templates/SearchResults.aspx?Phrase=diabetes&UserName=colette_heimowitz Annemarie
January 05, 2013 12:42 AM EST
Rebekah Nichols said:
Thank you. I needed all of that. I was one who thought in the beginning I would never stray, never. I was recovering from a heart scare with high blood pressure and 40 lbs I needed to lose, AND a new grandson I wanted to live for. A year later, I am back to my old tricks, after losing 26 lbs and looking a feeling great, whammo, the holidays snuck up on me...I really did not fear them and I should have. Now, 2 months and 8 lbs later, I am having a hard time getting back to it altho I KNOW I will love the food and the healthy, energy I will have. Today is a new day...I love the saying, it is on my fridge and has been so long I don't see it anymore, 'Losing weight is hard...Maintaining your weight is hard...Being fat is hard...Choose your hard!' Lately, I have been making the wrong choice and in the end it is the hardest one of all, daily misery. Thank you again for the boot in the breeches!!
January 31, 2013 07:47 AM EST