<October 2012>
14151617181920
Breaking News: Low-Carb Diets Win in the Fight Against Diabetes

In a new study to be published in October in the journal of Nutirition, 363 overweight and obese patients were recruited for a 24-week diet intervention trial; 102 of the patients had type-2 diabetes. Each participant was given a choice of either a low-carb diet or a low-calorie diet. Body weight, body mass index, changes in waist circumference, blood glucose level, changes in hemoglobin and glycosylated hemoglobin, total cholesterol, LDL (bad) cholesterol, HDL (good) cholesterol, triglycerides, uric acid, urea and creatinine were measured before and at 4, 8, 12, 16, 20 and 24 weeks after the start of the diets. In addition, participants were given bi-weekly dietary and medical counseling. Interestingly enough, the initial dose of some antidiabetic medications were decreased to half or even discontinued for the low-carb diet group.

The results of this study? Both diets had beneficial effects, although changes were more significant for the low-carb diet group. What does this mean to you? Once again, this is another study the shows the beneficial effect of a low-carb diet over conventional low-calorie diets in obese diabetic people. This is very important, considering that the World Health Organization estimates that approximately 170 million people worldwide have diabetes and this figure is expected to reach 366 million by 2030. As always, I continue to be encouraged by this steady stream of new research that validates efficacy and safety of low-carb diets, and it continues to support my belief that weight loss is not a one-size-fits-all approach.

Published Monday, October 01, 2012 03:08 PM by colette_heimowitz
Filed Under: Induction, Nutrition
Comments
dkraina said:
I think you meant LDL is bad cholesterol and HDL is good cholesterol
October 03, 2012 04:42 AM EST
good catch. thanks,I fixed it. Much appreciated
October 03, 2012 08:57 PM EST
jayb said:
Thanks for posting this article, it was very informative. I am type2 diabetic and I know for a fact that the low carb diet is the best diet for my health. Because of the low carb diet I do not have to take medications for diabetes, my last A1c was 5.3 and I am controlling diabetes with the Atkins diet. I am so grateful for all the support I receive here. Thank you : )
October 03, 2012 09:10 PM EST
carmelaac said:
Does the American Diabetes Association support the Atkins diet? I would like to get my father-in-law on Atkins but he loves his bananas, breads, and desserts. It would be great if I could tell him that the ADA supports Atkins.
October 04, 2012 02:54 PM EST
18spin50 said:
The American Diabetes Association may have a monetary interest through federal monies to support the US Department of Agriculture's food pyramid and dietary guidelines. Keep in mind, that the USDA needs to support the entire food industry from growers to end product manufacturers. Now, I personally find the USDA guidelines to be bogus. A little internet research can go a long way to understanding why Dr. Robert Atkins had it right a long time ago.
October 05, 2012 02:03 PM EST
robinsipe said:
I am a firm believer in the Atkins diet and so is my Doctor! In July 2012 I was diagnosed as pre diabetes. I told my doctor I would find a way to stay off medication and would fix my health issue on my own. The next day I began the Atkins diet. At my next check up in August 2012 my doctor was in awe at my blood sugar reading and weight loss. She told me she should put me in the lobby to be an adviser for the other diabetic patients. I am proud to say that as of today, October 7th, I am free from diabetic conditions and have lost 17 lbs with a normal blood sugar reading.
October 07, 2012 05:15 AM EST
On My Way said:
Any chance we will be able to read the whole article? As a medical professional and Atkins follower myself, I would be extremely interested in reading this. Thanks for posting.
October 07, 2012 09:46 PM EST
vaneB25 said:
I was diagnosed with diabetes just one week ago. The PA sent me to a nutritionist (my appointment will be on Oct.25). The PA already told me about the need of controlling carbs, which totally makes sense, but I am afraid the nutritionist will not be Atkins-friendly. We will see. In the meantime, I came back to Atkins two days ago, this time with more pressure to do well, as what is at stake is my overall health, not just my weight. Any advice is welcome.
October 08, 2012 10:10 PM EST
planb said:
I always appreciate hearing the good reports on low carb consumption, since, for too many years, it was always given such a bad rap! Thanks! Also, in the last paragraph, third line down, I think you meant to say "that" instead of "the" when referring to study.
October 12, 2012 06:42 AM EST
dlhawkins4 said:
vaneB25, I think you will feel so much better when you get the hang of the Atkins diet. I started it once before and found even though it was tough to break my "sweet tooth" habits, I had more energy than I'd had in a long time. What helped me in the beginning was to stay busy so I wasn't constantly thinking about the morning toast I missed or the cola and candy bar break at 4:00 pm. I really didn't miss them when I was occupied with work, housework or a good book or painting (my hobby). Also, if you have the option to go for a brisk walk, you get the double benefit of increasing your energy and spending more time away from the kitchen. Sometimes a short nap helps if you're really just too tired to exercise. I just completed the Induction phase again and have lost 8 pounds, have more energy and when I attended a social gathering with nothing but goodies to eat, I had no problem just drinking water! That surprised even me! My problem is re-introducing more carbs into my diet. I'm just a sugar junkie and it doesn't take much to throw me back into the blood sugar roller coaster. So, for now, I'll keep doing Phase I. My husband has stuck to his Atkins diet for almost a year because his back pain went away when he stayed on it. Good luck!
October 14, 2012 09:43 AM EST
dlhawkins4 said:
Colette, thank you very much for this blog! You have helped me by introducing new research reports and reinforcing the need to keep the carbs low for better health.
October 14, 2012 10:06 AM EST
Velma137 said:
After a month on Atkins, I feel good, but I haven't seen much results. These articles have helped a whole lot, so I won't give up. I need to find the Atkins products at a local store because I work out a lot and I get hungry or light headed if I don't have a snack in the afternoon. Can anyone tell me how the carbs are calculated on the Atkins products because it didn't really add up to me?
October 16, 2012 11:48 AM EST
tellmemore said:
Colette,this is my 2nd time around with aitkins. older,wiser,diabetic,type2,on warfarin (since june. had my aic on the 12th am now at 5.5 form6.9 in may. I am still a believer. my tryglcerides dropped 220 points,still high, but will go down my cholesterol went up23 points to 292. which is very unusual(compared to last woe aitkins) anyway went on line and asked about warfarin and cholesterol--it stated that this med can raise cholestrol 30%. I am trying to get off this med asap(since I don't like taking meds. dr.wants me to go on lipitor--no-no-no- I stated. .what can one do, to get chol-down? I only had one blood clot ( I wasn in a coma induced for 41/2 days and then not real active for the other 5. came home and worked in flower bed and then got a blood clot about two weeks aafter so, I am thinking I do not have to be a forever warfarin person. help
October 16, 2012 01:07 PM EST
tellmemore said:
to jayb and 18spin50. jay congrats on 5.3, wonderful, wonderful keep up good work. 18spin50, I had to take 3 4hour classes with diabetic nurses with a group of people. I am the only one who was eating low carb, they did not like that. I did not mention it to classmates, but these people were having a real hard time regulating their sugar. yea, it is so sad. that the diabetic diet is the same old same old, except now they count 1/2 the fiber. good luck on your decision making process. I love the low carb.
October 16, 2012 01:13 PM EST
KRUIS said:
We are from South Africa. My daughter is 16 and has diabetes 1. I was told that a low carb diet is not good for her. Can you please advise whether it will be safe for her to do the atkins / low carb diet? Thanks
November 08, 2012 01:39 AM EST
bdbobalou said:
Hi Collette, I have been on induction for 12 weeks. I finally reached 11 lbs only togain back 4 this past week. I have stayed the same or gained more weeks than I have lost weight.i get up around 5:30 and have about 3 cups of coffee, a little cream (heavy cream) and liquid splenda. I usually don't like eating breakfast first thing but I will do that in about an hour or so. I'm thoroughly discouraged. I tried atkins about 15 years ago and the same thing happened then too. I would lose weight at a snails pace at first and then stop altogether. Now yesterday I started Day1 again since I've gained back 4 lbs. But I don't feel enthusiastic this time. When you don't get a "pay off" for good behavior you don't have the motivation to keep going. Reading all the blogs use to keep me motivated, but now I just get angry that its not working for me. I've been obese and a slow loser my entire life. I had gastric bypass about 11 yrs ago but I've gained back 50% of my wieght. I really think I'm carb sensitive, but this is ridiculous. Please help me before I quit altogether. This is a rough time to be trying this with the holidays coming around the corner. I do log. I don't like using the sites to log foods, I prefer writing them down. I am asking for your guidance. I am drinking like I should. I don't know what else to do or where else to go.I have a history of being a super slow loser,but this is painful.
December 04, 2012 06:25 AM EST