<May 2014>
18192021222324

The Dangers of Reaching Your Goal Weight

Hello! How are you? Tell me what’s been going on, I want to know! What was the highlight of your week?

I’ve been on Atkins now for about a year and a half, and there’s no question about it, it works. It’s fast, it’s not hard, and if you follow the plan you’ll reach your goal weight.

I’ve spent so much of my life thinking about losing weight and reaching my goal weight, but I never thought about what would actually happen when I got there! Until I got going on Atkins, I don’t think I even considered that reaching my goal weight was a real possibility. It was like Johnny Depp, a distant fantasy.

But when I got to my goal weight I fell right into a trap. Relaxation. If I was at a party and they were serving sliders, I wouldn’t bother to take off the bun. If it was one of the girls’ birthday at The Talk, I’d have one of the cupcakes they brought in. I was still on track with my meals, but I started giving myself more leeway with the rules.

My sugar cravings started to creep back in, and I couldn’t stand it. It didn’t feel good! I had to wean myself off sugar again and get back to following all the rules. I love the way I feel living the low-carb lifestyle, and I never want to turn back.

I saw how slippery the slope could be, and was reminded that my old habits would bring back all the old feelings. Stay away from the trap and off the slope!

All my Love and Support,

Published Friday, May 02, 2014 03:57 PM by Sharon Osbourne
Filed Under: Carb Balance/Carb Intolerance, Weight Loss, Cravings / Problem foods, Personal observations & lessons learned
Comments
arlene66 said:
i have been living the Atkins life for 4 months now ..i have gone from 191 to 161...and it is easy to slip back i have done it a few times..but the next day i jump right back on that horse...lol...
May 02, 2014 04:17 PM EST
Arlene, good job Mrs.! Are those your little ones in the photo?
May 02, 2014 04:24 PM EST
katgem said:
hi sharon, i have been on atkins since april 1st 2014 , lost so far about 12-13 pounds , i have a long way to go !
May 02, 2014 04:27 PM EST
symoyer said:
This is my first time doing Atkins and I can't believe how well it's working for me. I've lost over 50 pounds since starting on January 18 and other than craving a bowl of cereal with peanut butter toast now and then I haven't had any real cravings. For me I'm finding it to be more of a lifestyle change than a diet and I'm digging that! Hope the tour in Canada was a success and if you get back to Southwest Michigan (saw the band live back in the very early 80's) please, let me know.
May 02, 2014 04:32 PM EST
PauletticusJ said:
Hello Sharon, Even though I have a very long way to go (over 100 lbs), I often think about what my eating style will be like when I reach goal. I read so many posts about those who are starting Atkins again and again after gaining back their weight once they reached their goal. I don't want to be like that. I am a diabetic who had serious problems with steadily decreasing health and complications. Since I have been on Atkins these past 3 months, I have lost 25 lbs, and my weight loss is continuing nicely. :) In addition: • My cholesterol has dropped by half since starting Atkins. • My blood sugar readings have lowered and are now stabilized • My blood pressure and cholesterol medications have been cut by half and my required insulin injections have been reduced to 1/4 of what they previously were So when I finally reach my goal, I have more than just a thinner body to maintain. I also have my health! I have become quite accustomed to eating low carb, and I feel I can continue this lifestyle for years to come. It is wonderful not to be dependent on carby foods! And this website has helped with my progress tremendously - giving me support, education, motivation and accountability. Atkins is the best thing I have ever done for myself! -Paulette-
May 02, 2014 04:34 PM EST
KatJem, how much do you want to lose? 13 pounds down in a month is fabulous! Are you feeling better?
May 02, 2014 04:35 PM EST
Deborahg38 said:
Hello again Sharon! The highlight of my week was seeing the doctor yesterday and they informed me I was 17 lbs lighter than my last visit 60 days ago. That felt awesome. :) I love your post in that I feel the same way about my goal weight. Its there but there is this tiny voice that says I won't ever get there. Despite that feeling I am pushing forward and not looking back ! :) Congratulations on reaching your goal weight, and much thanks on the heads up of its pit falls of reaching it! Something to think about!
May 02, 2014 04:35 PM EST
Symoyer - oh yes! It is a complete lifestyle change and you're spot on to look at it that way and not as a "diet." I don't know if Ozzy is set to visit Michigan, but check the Black Sabbath website. If you look at my last blog entry I talk about touring with him in the 80's - maybe we were at the same show!
May 02, 2014 04:38 PM EST
symoyer said:
If I recall correctly the show was at a local ski resort (summer time obviously). We didn't have too many big venues around the area back in those days. Thanks for the encouraging words and have a great weekend.
May 02, 2014 04:41 PM EST
JayhawkinMexico said:
Hi Sharon, Thanks for your blog! People need to realize that Atkins is a way of life, not a quick weight loss diet. If a person follows Atkins and loses the desired amount of weight then goes back to eating the way she or he did before, the pounds are going to come back. My husband and I are approaching 19 months on Atkins. We feel so much better and are much healthier now. We plan on eating this way for the rest of our lives. Both our weights have been pretty stable for the past year. My husband is at his goal. I never reached my goal of 145, though I did get down to 147. Now, I'm about 150, but I've added a good amount of muscle from exercise, so I'm okay with that weight. I know I've lost a lot of inches because my old clothes are so big. I have some 1X shorts that are so big that I can fit both legs into one leg of the shorts! I'm swimming in my old XXL shirts. Definitely time to buy some new clothes! Take care and keep up the great work! You look fabulous and I know you feel great! Cindi
May 02, 2014 04:50 PM EST
PauletticusJ - You are just fabulous my dear! I love nothing more than hearing from people who have reduced or eliminated medical conditions by eating healthy. You are adding years onto your life Mrs.! Don't you dare slow down now, keep right at it. You are on the path, just keep putting one foot in front of the other!
May 02, 2014 04:56 PM EST
Deborahg38 - love your photo! You are just gorgeous! I'm so glad this was helpful for you - I had never thought of it!
May 02, 2014 04:57 PM EST
sophiemurray7 said:
I got to my ideal weight, then had a lot of problems with my family going on, so I eat all the wrong foods again, so my weight went back up :( but I'm getting there again. Just 5lbs to go, just take one day at a time. How are you Sharon? xx
May 02, 2014 05:01 PM EST
Cindi! I remember you, we spoke on here ages ago! It might have been in some of my very first blogs, right? So good to hear from you again! You and your husband sound like so much fun, I just love that you do Atkins together. Tell him to take you shopping!!
May 02, 2014 05:03 PM EST
Abacogal said:
Hello Sharon greetings from Abaco Bahamas! You are an inspiration, I am so glad I clicked the link to read your post, because in fact today I am really having a bad day, I began with a cookie and its been downhill all day.After the best week ever. I have lost 41 lbs in 4 months and when I cheat I feel ill and get back on track. Yes its easy to fall back into that slippery slope but I am not giving up, I feel so much better after what Ive lost so far, I cant stand up and bend without pain, walking is still painful but I am getting there. Thank you for the encouragement and advice!
May 02, 2014 05:04 PM EST
Lsday said:
I find it hard to move up to Phase 2. I have trouble getting in the 18-22 carbs a day required in Phase 1. I am eating better than ever before. Started 1/21/14 and an down 22#. I average losing 1# a week now. If no pounds lst, I lose a little in inches. Just concerned how I add in the right carbs to increas total daily intake but not gain. I only need to lose about 10-15 more pounds. Any help appreciated!
May 02, 2014 05:28 PM EST
katgem said:
thank you sharon,honestly i have to lose 120 -130 pounds , i feel ok, i really enjoy this diet .
May 02, 2014 05:39 PM EST
bubbadog6363 said:
Hello Sharon, you are such an inspiration . I started Atkins 3 weeks ago. It was the week before my 38 birthday. I managed to have the willpower not eat my party goodies, avoided the carrott cake(that was tough) . Im so glad i did because now im seeing and feeling the changes. Ive lost 8 pounds so far and inches everywhere. I feel amazing and have so much energy. This is definetly the best thing I could have done for my health.....
May 02, 2014 05:51 PM EST
Pattycakebaker said:
Hi Sharon, I'm so glad you didn't fall down that slippery slope! So often people think the hard part is the weight loss but the real work begins in maintenance. I like what Eric Chopin said after regaining half the weight he lost "Beyond the finish line, I'd heard from so many people maintenance is the hardest thing. [I used to think], 'Try losing 200 pounds.' But maintenance really is a lifetime." Keep up the good work!
May 02, 2014 06:33 PM EST
kimsyra said:
Hi Sharon! I enjoy listening to you talk about your experience. I'm 6 weeks into this, dropped 16 and have 14.5 pounds left to go. I log in every day to get encouragement and give it to others. Great site!! Kim
May 02, 2014 08:39 PM EST
sjones04901 said:
Hi Sharon! For over a year and a half, I have been diligent about weight loss and following a low card lifestyle. Six months ago, I reached my goal weight of 135 having lost 75 pounds. You are so right with the "trap" of getting to your goal weight and feeling like you can "relax." I have to constantly stay on top of my habits of exercise, healthy food choices etc. to make sure I don't get lazy. :-) I have chronicled my ups and downs on my Atkins page and it stands as a reminder of what works and what doesn't-- for me. I have a "9 out of ten rule!" Nine out of ten times, I say, "No" to junk and high carb foods. This rule allows for the occasional splurge while keeping me on track! I think balance is the most important thing to learn in this journey of ours. You can't live your life and be successful, long term by trying to follow "all of nothing" diets and extreme food craziness! I wish you all the luck in the world with your journey. Thank you for your inspirations! Kiss Ozzy for me! :-) Stefanie Jones
May 02, 2014 10:34 PM EST
Gotta-B said:
Hi Sharron, I'm starting Atkins today!! My husband has decided to join me as well. thank goodness, I think that'll make it easier...whew...lol I had no idea that you were on it also! I wanted to say thank you for your blog & I look forward to reading your posts. It's nice to know that I'm not alone in my weight loss struggles & to hear your positive words of encouragement to everyone. Thanks again!! Tina
May 03, 2014 12:06 AM EST
CalgaryGirl said:
Hi Sharon, Thank you for writing your blog, it's inspiring to know we all have the same issues. I've gotten back on track after a couple yeas absence. I'm done beating myself up over my weight and letting others do it as well!. I had my weight down to 167 a couple of years ago and felt fantastic. I let the struggles of life get me down and I seemed to eat through all of my issues. Two weeks ago when my Dr. told me I had Osteoarthritis in my lower spine and needed to lose weight. It was so humiliating to hear him say that, it's not like I didn't know. But hearing it from him was hard to take. I hit my rock bottom last week when I weighed in at 216. I got back on track that same day. Today marks my first week back and I'm so happy to be down 6lbs! The best thing is though, that I feel great! No carbs is so great for my fibromyalgia, I can walk down the stairs in the morning with no muscle pain. In no time at all, I'm sure my back will be much better as well.
May 06, 2014 09:57 AM EST
whitemistym75 said:
Hello Sharon , It is so good to be on a diet that makes you feel good and have tons of Energy !!! I have been on Atkins sense April 27 . Lost 14 pounds My first week in . this is week 2 and I have Gained 6 pounds of that back . But I feel pretty good and will keep moving forward. I have Kept 8 pounds off in 2 weeks so I feel amazing !!!! First time I have ever lost weight and felt good too. I have been on weight watchers for 10 years and as of last year I made a choice to quit. I have gained a few pounds and to add what I have already been blessed with :) So , I'm ready and looking forward to see what Atkins can do for me . I get excited every day Cause all my clothes are starting to fit loser and I have so much Energy that is unreal . This week I will be adding weights and more movement !!!! Wish me luck and thank you for all your cares and concern of all of us on Atkins !!!!!!
May 11, 2014 01:55 PM EST
jennspears75 said:
Hello Sharon, You are truely an inspiration. I have started the atkins after a few years ago I was diagnosed with metastatic thyroid cancer and became high risk, then my father dieing of a massive heart attack at the age of 59. I have decided that neither one of these diseases were gonna take control of my life. I have lost 2 lbs in a day which is more an likely water weight but Im determined to stick with this until my goal weight is met. I want to thank you again for the inspiration! Jenn
May 13, 2014 12:47 PM EST
PLUMBGOOD2YOU said:
Hello Sharon: First off, let me start by saying that I think you are absolutely beautiful!!! You are just an inspiration to women everywhere. I watch you daily on "The Talk" and just love it. I did Atkins a few years ago and lost about 30 pounds doing it. Well, I'm 47 now and 399 pounds. I hurt, I cried and I wanted to give up. I kept thinking I should just try Atkins again, I lost weight on it before, I could do it again. Well, in a week, i've lost 11 pounds and I'm feeling so much better by just losing the sodas and the sugars. All my life I've dealt with obese parents, siblings etc. My dad died of Congestive heart failure, diabetes, kidney faillure, etc. all due to being overweight. I don't want to be like my dad and I was slowly getting there. I just get depressed a lot and it's hard to stay on track when food is my comfort. I'll keep coming back and reading success stories and hopefully this will keep me going so I can be the beautiful person I know I can be. Thanks for being the person you are!!!! Cheryl
May 13, 2014 02:07 PM EST
richardson4 said:
Thanks for sharing, Sharon! My husband & I started Atkins on April 28 and total we have lost 19lbs! We feel so much better!! Its helpful to come online and hear all of these success stories, today is the first day I am craving a big bowl of Spagehtti and garlic bread!! But I went to the store and found the past Atkins meal, its more carbs then I should probobly have but whole lot less then that spagehtti!! We are having trouble finding sides to go with our meals. suggestions??
May 14, 2014 02:52 PM EST
ronrstaats said:
I lost 150 pounds (335 to 185) doing Atkins/Low Carb from June 2011 to July 0f 2012. Honestly, losing the weight was much easier than maintaining. I am 10 pounds above my lowest weight right now but that has gone up to 20 pounds above. Most of it has been due to vacations and wanting to sample local foods. Some of it has been from lifting weights over the last 2 years. But I am committed to this way of eating for life so that I can stay healthy and keep the weight off.
May 16, 2014 07:53 AM EST
avonrepshirleym said:
Hi Sharon, I am excited to learn that you are a member of the Atkins community! I am only on day 5 of the Induction phase and man it is very tough but I am determined to get my health in order! I am already down 7 pounds in only 4.5 days. I am excited and nervous!!
May 18, 2014 01:14 AM EST
pmc1937 said:
Sharon, Thanks for you encouragement. I have just sent for the starter kit. I am excited to get started. I was slender to skinny most of my life, but after 40, I started to gain. I have terrible sugar cravings, which is probably the main reason for my present weight. I am tired most of the time, and out of shape. I used to have lots of energy, and did a lot of hiking. Now, at 76 years of age, I get exhausted just walking over to the Senior Center, just across the parking lot. I hope being on Atkins will give me the energy to start exercising and that, with diet, will help me lose weight and regain my energy. So here goes. Being in touch with you will be a motivator.
May 19, 2014 05:23 PM EST
vgeruntho said:
Sharon, I am a newbie to Atkins, Day 2 - I am a mother of 4, I work a full time job, I volunteer as board member for the town, and I am exhuasted by the end of the day. I run into the I never have time to cook for my family. We are alway ordering Pizza, Chinese, or going through that Drive thru. In the last 8 years, i have gone from 105lbs to 200lbs. I know some of that weight happened when I quit smoking 5 years ago, but i just wanted to cry the other day when I got on that scale and it read 200. I am so disgusted looking at myself, I don't even fit into my summer clothes from last year that I have to wear my Maternity clothes. I am so depressed, I really have to do something. I was going to do the wheat belly diet when my mother in law told me all I would be doing is replacing 1 carb for another form. She recommended the Atkins diet. So here I am, I survived day 1 and have to say near the end of the day it was getting really hard for me - I am looking for advise to get through the first few weeks.
May 21, 2014 10:54 AM EST
pamela.vinson@yahoo.com said:
Well, I am starting today, and looking forward to reaching my ideal weight! I have lost on Atkins before, but I never went through the whole program. This time, I am going through it. I am 46 years old and i weigh 246lbs at this moment. I am looking forward to sharing with everyone as I go through this journey.
May 21, 2014 11:47 AM EST
flinche said:
A week and two days since I started the Adkins, everything has been going great!! Except last two days extreme constipation :-/
May 21, 2014 06:38 PM EST
kazmir1 said:
This will be my first adventure... A co-worker mentioned Atkins today to me in regards to my gluten sensitivities and Hashimoto's disease. I am about 25 - 30 pounds overweight, tired all the time and sick and tired of being sick and tired. I turned 40 on the 16th of this month and I think this will be a great birthday present to myself. I came across this website in my hunt for information and the wonderful results are encouraging. Thank you Sharon for taking time out of your busy schedule to be a spokespoerson for Atkins. You are an inspiration.
May 22, 2014 11:38 AM EST
jparrish87 said:
Sharon, I just wanted to send a message to tell you how much I love you! You are such an inspiration. I am just now starting Atkins and really need to do so for me. Anyway you are the reason that I looked into Atkins versus other diets! Keep you positive attitude and be you... You are fabulous!
June 04, 2014 07:30 PM EST
hambones girl said:
Hello I am going to get back to the Atkins way. Did anyone have any problems with feeling sick in the 2nd week? I do and that is when I end up getting off track do to that. I lost 12 lbs my first week I am not sure if that has anything to do with it or not. I like the life style and enjoy it but just can get passed the nassua
June 05, 2014 10:53 PM EST
txlively1 said:
i just started last week and am down 5 lbs!! yay!
June 09, 2014 01:21 PM EST
eman2012 said:
Hi Sharon, I started last week and lost 3 pounds. However, I did not start with inductions. I cut out all the starch I was eating which amounted to around 8 to 12 servings a day (rice, bread, pasta, starch vegetables like potatoes, Yucca , Empanadas you name it). Prior to Atkins I used to track what I ate on Sparks tracker and I was consuming an average of 270 grams of carbs a day. For my first week I consumed an average of around 80 grams a day so that was a big drop from 270 grams. After going on the website, I decided to start my second week with induction at 20 net carbs. From reading lables I now realize that its more than just cutting out starch. I scrambled some eggs this morning and I wanted to put some ketchup on them but I read the label first. 2 Tbs 10 grams of carbs. I have a low fat vinegrette dressing I was going to use for lunch but I read the label and 2 Tbs is 10 grams of carb. I wanted coffee but had no cream so I was going to use some milk. A 1/4 cup has around 4 grams of carbs. So with those 3 items alone, I would have been over the 20 net carbs for induction. I have around 150 pounds to lose so I owe to myself to start induction, cut out alcohol, exercise and lose this weight. I also have a physical in 5 weeks so I'm really motivated and commited long term as a life style change. Wish me luck! E-MAN
June 14, 2014 08:10 AM EST
Debbie Yantis said:
Congrats! You've done well! I lost 60 lbs on a low carb lifestyle in 2002. I have been very ill since May of 2003. Since then I have gained 10 lbs. I plan to loose it now. Feeling better. Luv you on TV. Keep on Keeping on!
June 23, 2014 07:28 PM EST