<February 2014>
16171819202122

How do you deal with cold rainy weather? It makes me want to stay in and eat!
Hello! How are you? How is the weather where you are?

I've been hearing about how cold it's been all over and I have to give you a lot of credit. I was in England over the holidays and I had to leave early because the cold weather was getting to me. All I wanted to do was stay in and eat! Does that happen to anyone else?

It was gray, windy, and got dark at 4:30pm. It rained for 10 days straight! None of the dogs wanted to go outside. I was afraid poor Bella was going to get swept away by the wind. My 5 pound fur baby needed lead boots.

I was sticking to turkey and brussel sprouts, but I thought I was going to burst at one point. I think my stomach must have been the size of a building. It would hurt but I just couldn't stop eating! As soon as the plane touched down in Los Angeles I felt safe. Yes!

How do you deal with cold, rainy weather? I think the best thing you can do is make vegetable soup. It's comforting. Don't get anything canned, just make yourself a big pot of fresh vegetable soup. I've got a recipe here for you to try, let me know what you think! Click here for the recipe!

All my love and support,

Published Friday, February 07, 2014 02:45 PM by Sharon Osbourne
Filed Under: Nutrition, Cravings / Problem foods, Personal observations & lessons learned
Comments
Hello! Go on, tell me how your weather has been?
February 07, 2014 02:54 PM EST
Anita, yes! That sounds perfect. I have always admired people who can throw a few things together without a recipe and have it come out right!
February 07, 2014 02:55 PM EST
Anyone else have cold weather suggestions?
February 07, 2014 03:31 PM EST
pjabed said:
In Massachusetts, we've had two blizzards and several other smaller snowfalls. (I triple LOVE it!) I need warm food in the winter; cold food does not satisfy me. Even the protein in my main course salads has to be heated before mixing with the salad vegetables. I made some delicious soups - one was kale soup with sausage; another was chicken soup. You know you've internalized the program when you'll use red kidney beans in the kale soup and carrots in chicken soup, but, being carb conscious, not both together in the same dish. I love being in control of my eating, not having my eating control me.
February 07, 2014 03:50 PM EST
kitkatt89 said:
It's actually rainy and cold here today, it happens to be my day off work so I joined my daughters at the gym, afterwards we stopped by the grocery store for some spicy pork rinds " yummy " and home snuggling with a blanket :)
February 07, 2014 07:14 PM EST
Eggbert22 said:
It has been cold and snowy. We recently had a spell of days in single digits and sub zero wind chill factors - Brrrrr. We've had 2 days of "mild" temps (highs in the low 30's) and no snow, sleet or freezing rain. I went out for a walk on my morning break and it was so nice to be outside. The snow is suppose to return Saturday and Sunday and I believe I hear today about mid week as well... And yes, it does make one think about eating when you are cooped up like that.
February 07, 2014 08:13 PM EST
Deborahg38 said:
Hello Sharon, I'm Deborah. Here in Indiana we've got 2 feet on the ground. But they've been really good about clearing the roads. But I love it, its white and beautiful. About my weight loss journey it has been a bit of jumble. Sticking close to induction but hit a 3 month plateau. Nothing worked, dropping calories, even tried the fat flush. But recently I discovered Intermittent Fasting. Have you ever done it? I eat every other day, as of January 1st I'm down 5.4 lbs. ITs wonderful. Today is my fast day, the cold weather only made me feel colder which I hear is common with fasting. I'm sitting up close to a plug in heater, that helps a lot. Stay close to any hearter, and keep warm! :) Deborah
February 07, 2014 10:12 PM EST
Islandlife4u said:
I love my DVD walking tapes 1-2-3-5 miles, I have them on while I watch TV and MOVIES💕
February 08, 2014 06:00 PM EST
Xoe2014 said:
I travel a lot for work. Although I live in Tennessee which is not as cold as some places, I travel to Minnesota a lot. A couple of weeks ago it was -26 degrees. I am from Puerto Rico, so that weather nearly killed me!!! What saved me was tea. I love hot tea. Tea helps me keep warm and is calorie free. Most of the teas I can drink without sweeteners just fine. Sometimes I drink what I call proper tea, English Breakfast, oolong, and green tea, but sometimes I drink fun tea. Like a chai without the milk, or a 'Ginger Cookie' or 'Celestial Seasonings - Sugar Cookie Sleigh Ride Holiday Herb Tea '. They kill the sweet craving.
February 08, 2014 07:44 PM EST
VALLEYGIRL9950 said:
Cold and nasty weather in the Northwest lately. I love my treadmill. I watch lots of recorded TV and movies. Also my favorite strength training video is Gilad Total Body Sculpt. Sometimes he is on Discovery TV to record.
February 08, 2014 08:14 PM EST
nicebbwinnc said:
Keeping my mind (and body) occupied is the best way for me to beat the urge to eat, eat, eat. And then having a certain little furry child on my lap (my dog Joshua) is awesome for stress induced cravings. And drink some water. Usually you're not hungry just thirsty.....water water water.....most important nutrient to our good health!
February 10, 2014 06:54 PM EST
merr2 said:
We live in Ottawa Canada. it has been a miserable winter, unless your a penquin! I have just gotten into making soups. veggie soup with chicken and vegetable broth and mushrooms, onions, spinach and i make some turkey little meatballs and throw in. turns out quite nice. I spend my times browsing the internet for lower carb options to food treats i love. i love to read...anything from danielle steel to linda lael miller to jackie collins. bring on the novels. I just started quilting so i am avid about that. My middle daughter taught herself to knit from you tube. I am beyond impressed. she didnt pick an easy stitch either. trinity stitch. yikes. well off to finish laundry and have a cup to tea. happy tuesday to everyone. thanks for taking the time with us Sharon. LOVE THE VIEW!
February 11, 2014 02:42 PM EST
Elyssandariel said:
Sharon today I saw your commercial on TV and decided to go on the Atkins diet myself! It was the one with the little birds chirping at the windows, so cute! Here in Indiana its snow snow snow and my husband has been baking baking baking. He's sworn off baking treats now that I'm dieting and have over a hundred and fifty pounds to lose. We're in it to win it! I keep myself busy with writing and artwork. Thanks for reading this Sharon, we love you!
February 11, 2014 09:36 PM EST
sueafterhours said:
Hi Sharon. I'm just getting ready to start the New Atkins diet and am so glad I found your blog. I live in Boise, Idaho and every winter we go through an "inversion." The sky is gray for days on end and all I want to do is "veg" indoors. Then we will finally have a break and even though It may be cold, the sun comes out! How do I cope - well truthfully, I double up on an antidepressant (per dr's advice) and then I tackle one of several crafts. I love to work in stain glass, make metal clay jewelry, sew blankets for new grandbabies or great-grandbabies and I'm currently making a tumbled travertine tiled outdoor table top with glass accents. When I feed my need for creativity, I don't have as much desire to feed my negative cravings. It's how I stay in balance. I'm sure you must have a lot on your plate. Don't forget to take care of yourself by doing whatever you do to keep balance in your life. I'm looking forward to reading your blog for encouragement on this journey.
February 12, 2014 12:08 AM EST
upward said:
Hello Sharon. I also want to eat when it's cold and rainy. What I do is keep beef and chicken broth (organic, packaged in a box) in my cupboard. I heat that in a mug or coffee cup.This really satisfies me - it's warm and tasty, and has no carbs to maybe 1 carb per cup. I also like Celestial Seasonings tea (Chai flavor). It is very good, with heavy cream and sweetner, and the only carbs are what is in the sweetner and heavy cream (there are brands of these with no carbs). I enjoy eating winter greens when it's cold and rainy (kale and collards). Sharon, I engage in indoor activities, (printing Atkins website recipes, cleaning, planning the next day schedule, etc.) I live in Austin, Texas. Here we've had ice warnings once a week the last 3 weeks- with minimal ice. This is unusual for Austin (normally, we get ice every few years). I used to live in London England part of the year, and I know how terrible the weather has been. I do keep up with BBC- for news and radio. My heart goes out to the UK with the weather that's taking place. Please make sure your dog wears a dog sweater when going out in the cold weather. Much like your family, my dad was in the business, he was a music promoter when alive. As a result, we had artists with bodyguards and chauffeurs at our house for dinner. I can remember when he left town, upon his return we received gifts from where he had been. We're in this together, and we know Atkins is a brilliant way to good health. Wishing you and all here continued success through the Atkins journey and life.
February 12, 2014 01:08 PM EST
braindead57@hotmail.com said:
Hi Sharon, I live in the south eastern corner of the state of washington. We had 3 storms back-to-back leaving me with a foot of snow, then we got a chinook wind a week later and took all the snow away. I just started this diet and I will see if it works for me as I am disabled in a wheelchair an unable to do alot of the exercises, but will do my best with what I can do from my chair. I am excited about this diet as I have 100 pounds to lose and need to do it for my health reasons as well.i use to be very skinny, but now at age 65 I have gained to 235 and it is now a challenge for me to get it off as it is harder to do as we get older. Chat again with you soon, Kay Harmon
February 13, 2014 02:34 PM EST
arlene66 said:
hi Sharon..i live in nova scotia canada...and we have lots of snow and calling for another storm tonight changing to rain..when its cold out i stay in side and play games on my computer and check out the Atkins sites..
February 13, 2014 04:09 PM EST
lindaaddis@att.net said:
Sharon, I was getting so tired of the same ol' food and so antsy from the sub-zero weather and snow snow snow. And then I read your post. It is nice to know I am not alone. And your post made me think about soup. I did the spinach & chicken soup with lots of added pearl onions, carrots, celery, whatever was in the fridge. The lemon juice really made the broth special. Now I don't feel deprived.
February 13, 2014 06:27 PM EST
Suzymadden@msn.com said:
We have 17 inches of snow right now in Virginia. It is freezing but I also found myself hungry so I drink flavored teas they are zero calories and satisfy me. I have lost 14 lbs in one week. I just went on the Atkins and am over Moyer at the fast weight loss.
February 15, 2014 02:39 AM EST
gmc505 said:
Stay Warm !!! Enjoy a hot tea, coffee. The Atkin Chat room is also a good way to get re-enforcement. It helps me see what others who have reached their goals do and what they don't do. A new attempt at ATKINS has changed my wife and myself. We started Dec 1 and with Chrostmas and New Years we managed then throw in a couple birthdays in January...WE DID IT...between us we have lost 45 pounds and some more to come.
February 15, 2014 09:16 AM EST
gmc505 said:
Stay Warm !!! Enjoy a hot tea, coffee. The Atkin Chat room is also a good way to get re-enforcement. It helps me see what others who have reached their goals do and what they don't do. A new attempt at ATKINS has changed my wife and myself. We started Dec 1 and with Christmas and New Years we managed then throw in a couple birthdays in January...WE DID IT...between us we have lost 45 pounds and some more to come.
February 15, 2014 09:17 AM EST
kathyj333 said:
I hate cold weather. We've been snowed in the northeast US for almost two months. I can't stand it anymore. I'm just getting started and I have a long way to go. Wish me luck.
February 16, 2014 10:57 AM EST
lindam1200 said:
Hi Sharon.....well I tell you here in new York it has been a real challenge as we have had blizzards every few days and the world just shuts down. I find that if I keep myself busy it helps me not think about how much I want to eat. Its a great time to play with my pups ( I have 2 golden doodles and a lasa) and a great time to hang with the kids as they are growing fast and wont be with me too much longer :-( I find that baking low carb muffins helps....they are a bit moist as they are so low carb I think 1.5 grams, but you cut them and toast them put butter on them and OMG so delicious and satisfying. that what I did to get thru all the storm. Let me know if you would like the recipe.I put little bits of strawberry or a few blueberries. Lindamarie
February 16, 2014 06:00 PM EST
oceangirl6 said:
Hi Sharon, We are also digging out from a foot of snow in Virginia. I have a question. I was on the Atkins diet in 2004, where I lost 42 lbs. I made the Atkins Banana nut muffins from a mix. It made twelve muffins. I took one to work every morning with a small amount of cream cheese, and a cup of coffee. Has the mix been discontinued? I can't find it anywhere. This really worked for me in the mornings. I saw the post about the individual muffins in a cup, but I wanted to make twelve at a time. Thx.
February 17, 2014 02:06 PM EST
patisuki said:
Good Morning, Sharon! Well, we have a couple feet of snow piled up here in WV. So, to stay with this lifestyle I have created a recipe for a yummy broth based soup. I use two chicken boullion cubes and 2 cups water, add one chicken breast, half a cup of sliced fresh mushrooms, a diced green onion and half a stalk of celery chopped as well as a 1/4 cup of frozen spinach and a tsp of butter. I let it simmer and add some fresh cracked black pepper and enjoy!...it make two servings and it is very filling. Enjoy!! Patty
February 18, 2014 10:59 AM EST
GORKAGM said:
Hi Sharon, I live in north central WI. We have had nothing but snow, more snow and even more snow coming in tonight, possibly up to 12 inches! Good grief. I can only keep reminding myself that Spring is not too far off, and I will be able to "play" more outside and actually enjoy it! I myself have gone back onto Atkins this last week. I have had great success and results with Atkins in the past. I lost over 220 pounds and kept it off for over 6 years with Atkins. But I got pregnant with my second daughter, was put on bed rest for over half my pregnancy and gained 100 whopping pounds during my pregnancy. I have lost 30 lbs of it, but am now at a stale mate with the weight. So I would like to drop the extra 70 pounds and maybe a few extra and keep it off for the rest of my life, and I know that Atkins will allow me to do it. Wish me luck!
February 19, 2014 05:41 PM EST
Monetag1 said:
Hi Sharon! I am an older woman, 68 to be exact, and when I saw my doctor in November, she explained that I was diabetic. I also have lymphedema in my legs and live in Florida. When I walked out of her office, I was determined I had to lose weight but wasn't sure how. I've tried WW and it didn't work. My neighbor told me about Atkins when I ran into her at the supermarket. I started right away after reading one of the books and from Nov. to Feb. 21st, I've lost 27 lbs. When it comes to cool, windy weather, I like to make soup and my favorit is vegetable soup. Beef broth, tomatoes, beans, onion a few carrots, celery and stewing beef. I try to walk 45 min. a day if it's not raining or too cold. I seem to be at a stand still now but need to lose 80 more lbs. I'm trying to stay under 20 grams of carbs. I guess I'm just anxious! Wish me luck! Moneta
February 20, 2014 10:09 PM EST
anaverde said:
Sharon, First off you look great. I hope I am able to look as good as you after I try hard with Atkins. I am sure you have heard it all, but I would like to share a little about me. I was in the music business in one form or another for 20 years. I played drums for most of that time, and that was my only exercise. Well that and sex. Ha ha. Nine years ago I had a baby girl and I gained 100 pounds. I have lost some here and there, yet when weighed at the doctors office today, I saw the number 297 and almost cried. I had been eating better, not extremes but was floored. Today I found out, although I suspected, that my cholesterol level labels me as a heart attack ready to happen. I am really wanting to have success with Atkins. My sister in Indiana did great with it, and is still having success. I never had to exercise when I was in bands, and I never ate right. I have started many diets and tried different shakes, pills and tried juicing. Never stuck with any of them. I just didn't see results. I am Bi-polar homeschooling a 9 year old girl with ADD. I am on medicines that cause weight gain. Is there hope for me? I guess I am also asking how do I get started? What do I do first? Keeping in mind I am ssi disability and only get $716.00 a month. I do not know that I can afford to buy all of the books and foods that go along with it. Do I need to spend a lot to Lose a lot? I am just glad that my daughter has a fast metabolism, and isn't heavy like me. I hope I didn't bum anyone out. Have a great Day Antoinette Verde P.S check my sight on Facebook to see pictures of my beautiful daughter antoinetteverdeav@gmail,com
February 21, 2014 02:30 AM EST
Suzymadden@msn.com said:
Anna I am also on disability I drink Atkins shakes but for snacks I use boiled or deviled eggs, celery with spicy cheese dip. It is affordable you just get creative ith the food guide. Sign up and they send you catkins bars and book for freevat Atkins .com. Good luck
February 21, 2014 05:35 AM EST
sophiemurray7 said:
It's so hard to lose weight if you live in England its always wet and cold so you just want to eat junk food all the time. I've lost 19lbs so easily with Atkins i love it. Just want to say a massive thank you, without you i would have never tried this diet. I've tried pills, measurements, just fruit, drinks and nothing has lasted and im so thankful to you. I read all your book and you've been such an inspiration to me. Thank you Love Sophie xx
February 21, 2014 01:54 PM EST
maggieh2ogroup2@aol.com said:
I was born in Brazil and picked California for a reason. I love the weather. I also lived in London for a couple of years. But nothing like California. This is my home. The cold weather to me is depressing. Love from Maggie
March 01, 2014 11:31 PM EST
sandycruizer said:
I don't live in a cold area, being here in Louisiana, but it is rainy frequently. Storming last night and this am while I post this. I I love hot chocolate and make a homemade 1gm net carb cup. I use hershey's dark cocoa powder 1 T. pinch of real salt, pinch of cinnamon, 3/4 c boiling water, 1/4 c heavy cream and a taste of real vanilla. Just put your powdered stuff in a mug, add half of the boiling water, mix, add cream, mix then add the rest of boiling water and taste of vanilla. Oh shoot, forgot to tell you, put in 2 packets Stevia or however many to your likeing(is that a real word? Ah, whatever. LOL). Experiment. see what ya think. Sandy
April 14, 2014 10:09 AM EST