<February 2014>
16171819202122

What kinds of activities are you involved in? Shopping? Spinning?

Hello! How are you? What’s been going on? I want to hear everything!

I also want to congratulate all the winners of the Atkins “Inner Athlete” contest, you can see them all here: http://on.fb.me/1hJb1x4. I love what one of the women, Liz Hayungs, said about Atkins, “it’s not a diet, it’s just easy.” Yes!

One of the other winners, Evelyn Smith, has run a marathon in each of the 50 states. I cannot even imagine. I have a lot of admiration for anyone involved in athletics. I watched a marathon of “Homeland” on Showtime a few weeks ago, and that’s enough marathoning for me!

When I first got started on Atkins, I would get tired just walking from my dressing room to the stage. When you’re carrying extra weight, you’re doing just that, you’re carrying it! Everywhere! Once I started losing some of that weight, I started to notice it was getting easier to move around from place to place on set. Then I started taking Ozzy and Bella on 5 minute walks at night.

I have a trainer who has got me doing some light weight lifting (nothing like contest winner Jim Simprini), but she has to literally come into my bedroom and drag me out of bed. So take everything at your own pace and applaud yourself for a 5 minute nightly walk or 30 minutes of rigorous shopping!

What’s important is your health. I love nothing more than hearing from people who are getting off medications and are getting good reports from their doctors because of the changes they’ve made to their lifestyles. One of the other contest winners, Dale Foster was able to get off 4 blood pressure medications, which is just phenomenal. He was also able to go from taking spinning classes to teaching them, which is on a whole other level! I’ve seen the way people look coming out of those spinning classes…I do not like sweating!

What activities are you involved in, if any? Walking, shopping, chasing the kids around? Let’s hear it!

All my love and support,

Published Friday, February 28, 2014 02:32 PM by Sharon Osbourne
Filed Under: Weight Loss, Exercise, Personal observations & lessons learned
Comments
Go on, let's hear it!
February 28, 2014 03:13 PM EST
Sister Crystal said:
Does typing in the atkins chat room for an hour a night count as exercise? lol Just kidding. I really enjoy an old fashioned bike ride through my neighborhood. Not only do I get sunshine and exercise, I get to wave at my neighbors as I peddle on by!!! Your looking great Sharon! Blessings, Crystal
February 28, 2014 03:22 PM EST
Kelle_r said:
We are a rodeo family.. So riding 2-3 horses per day and cleaning corrals and feeding is my exercise. I probably should do more and I would see more weight come off. But between that and being a mom, I don't have time right now. Sharon, I sure love hearing from you. It makes this "lifestyle change" a lot more fun. Thanks :)
February 28, 2014 03:34 PM EST
Sister Crystal, first of all, I love your name, it's fabulous! Second, chatting should count as exercise, but I love that you ride your bicycle and get sunshine during your exercise. It's so important for me to get out in the sun or I just get depressed. I can imagine you bring a lot of joy to those who see you waving when you go by. I love it!
February 28, 2014 03:35 PM EST
Kelle R, I love that you are a rodeo family! That sounds like loads of fun (except cleaning the corrals!). And being a mum is the most important responsibility. You don't have to do any more than that if you want to lose some weight, just stick to your Atkins. How long have you been on Atkins? What are your goals?
February 28, 2014 03:42 PM EST
MJoPierce said:
I walk my little yorkie everyday about 1/2 mile. Then I go alone and two 1 miles. There is a park near my house so makes it easy and very enjoyable. I live about 1 mile from beautiful Lake Shasta, CA so the views are awesome and the air is fresh and clean too. I'm also a Real Estate Agent and do a lot of walking when showing properties. My only complaint is that I don't care for bell peppers and many of the frozen meals have them in it, yuck. Other than that I love Atkins. I have only been doing it for a few weeks but have lost 10 pounds already, and that feels great. Thanks Sharon for your support to us all, and you are so beautiful. I am 64 and told I don't look it, that I look more like 40ish, LOL Marian
February 28, 2014 03:43 PM EST
MJoPierce, I love that you have a little fur baby! Bella likes me to pick her up after a block or she gets tired. Luckily she weighs less than 5 pounds. Oh yes, they have lots of big properties up there, right? That will keep you moving for sure! That is a good point about the frozen meals, I like the Chicken Alfredo. Try that one if you haven't. Congratulations on losing 10 pounds, it does feel good doesn't it! You sound like a lot of fun! I like you Marian!
February 28, 2014 03:50 PM EST
symoyer said:
Sharon, first and foremost I love that you are so open and supportive of everyone. I've been on diets all my life and this is the first one that I actually find working for me without any major issues. As far as activities go, I have an indoor pool at my apartment complex for winter use (I live in Michigan and if you follow the news you know it's been pure frozen hell here lately!) so I try and swim for an hour at least 3-4 times a week. I sit behind a desk all day as a career counselor so I don't get a lot of activity and being 53 my energy-levels aren't what they used to be! Anyways, all the best to you and I look forward to reading more of your post and again, thank you for your ongoing support.
February 28, 2014 04:12 PM EST
TroyRayGrimes said:
Hi Sharon, I did not win the Inner Athlete contest, but wanted to share my story with you anyway. This is from my e-book "Endurance 70": I am a former couch potato that successfully transformed myself into an ultra-marathon runner. My short story is: First, I discovered that the Atkins Insider Nutritional Approach™ is the best approach available to permanently lose weight. And second, I discovered that is also the best way to prepare for endurance events. And just to prove myself on both these points…I ran 70 miles at the USATF 24-Hour Run National Championship in Cleveland, Ohio on September 17, 2011 to match my total weight loss of 70 pounds. 70 pounds, 70 miles and a big thank you to Dr. Atkins for not giving up on what he knew worked Overall, I have completed 30 marathons (26.2 miles) and 16 ultra-marathons (31 miles and greater). These include running two marathons in two days in 2010 and running two 50Ks in two days in 2011.
February 28, 2014 06:16 PM EST
DieselMutt said:
I have a newfound passion for bicycling. Unfortunately, the cold, snowy weather in Indiana makes that a challenge, but good weather is right around the corner. For now the stationary bike will have to suffice. I am planning on riding in a Gran Fondo (100mi bike ride) this summer. My ultimate dream vacation would be to ride a bike from the Atlantic ocean to the Pacific. Maybe someday I will achieve that. One of my favorite pastimes was chopping wood (odd I know). However, suffering a back injury has put an end to that. My knees aren't what they use to be so the racquet ball that I once loved is gone too. My love of Bicycling just goes to show that if you try enough variety of activities, you too can find a new activity to love!
February 28, 2014 08:15 PM EST
sophiemurray7 said:
Hi Sharon, just want to say thank you again, for being with Atkins, you inspired me to give it a try and i'm now at my ideal weight for the first time ever. I'm always on my feet at work, running about, as i work in a pub. I also take my dog for walks as much as I can, thinking about getting another dog as well. I've started to actually really like exercise with is something I never thought would happen. I still don't like going to the gym, but i've got a sort of house gym, and i'm loving my new exercise bike. I've got some workout dvds so i do them 3/4 times a week. I might also indulge in a big bit of shopping, which is good for me to get outside and walk to different shops not so good on the bank balance though. I love it weight dropped off easily and you dont feel like your craving anything on atkins.
March 01, 2014 07:54 PM EST
sophiemurray7 said:
March 01, 2014 07:54 PM EST
tquartin said:
Hello Sharon!!!! This is my first time to use Atkins so I am looking forward to all this weight to be falling off. Please wish me luck!!!!! I am still trying to figure everything out. Hope yall have a great day
March 03, 2014 02:21 PM EST
denalter said:
Hello Sharon, I have been a big fan of yours for several years. I love your energy and how delighted you are when helping people. I have been curious about Atkins for years and was over joyed when you became a spokesperson. I ended up with lower back surgery 9 years ago while tending to my 2 year old son. Since then, I have tried to get healthy and maintain my weight but since turning 50 it's become more difficult. Your encouragement to others via your blog has inspired me to take the next step and go on the Atkins diet plan. I just recently started and I’m hopeful that this will work for me too. It’s seems easy and seems to offer several yummy food options. I like that! Wish me luck and thank you for being you! Sincerely, Denise
March 04, 2014 05:03 PM EST
NancyBartlettPA@comcast.net said:
Hi Sharon! I am impressed with your loss - you look just beautiful!! I am a long time Atkins fan, back when Veggies weren't on the menu!! I lost a good amount back then, but life happens and today - I am recommitting - and doing it seriously! I will appreciate any encouragement and lots of it :-) Good luck to everyone! I know Atkins works - been there, done it - but its been at least 15 years... so I'm excited about the NEW Atkins:-) I add in Gods strength here because I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me :-)
March 05, 2014 01:06 PM EST
betty1997 said:
I've been walking during my break at work, twice a day. I add a little bit of distance each week.
March 05, 2014 04:21 PM EST
jeribeasley said:
This is the first time i've tried Atkins and i'm just starting today. I've gained about 50 lbs over the past 5 yrs. I have RA which makes excercise a little difficult for me so i'll be doing a lot of walking. I beat breast cancer and i'm raising a beautiful granddughter ( i've had her for 2 yrs now) she is 2 ad half years old so you'd think that i would have no problem loosing weight, I am 62 yrs old and I really hope this plan helps me. I need to get healthy..
March 06, 2014 11:01 PM EST
Hobiecat7 said:
This is my first time trying Atkins and am really excited. I'm dealing with some depression and quite a few injuries. Everything from a total ankle replacement, 2 spinal fusions, hip surgery...the list goes on, but nothing I can't over come. My passion in life is animals. I have a permit with Texas Parks and Wildlife and rehabilitate Wildlife. It's all volunteer and can really cut into the finances, but cannot imagine my life any different. I feel too fat and in too much pain to do the animals justice right now. So sad. I'm taking the first step to change this. Sharon, You are such an incredible inspiration! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
March 08, 2014 02:44 AM EST
jredden said:
This is my second time on Atkins. I have to admit that I have the attention span of a cat in a canary hatchery. However, this time I feel compelled to make my weight a lifestyle and life changing success. It helps tremendously to know that Atkins has changed a lot in the last few years but still held true to its basic premise. The only change I make to it for myself now is I eat organic and gluten-free. I find the recipes easy to adjust and still stay "legal." I love to swim which is lucky since I live near Corpus Christi, TX but I get self-conscious about being in public. For me being in a swimsuit is overwhelming because my of weight. I also like going to the gym but I tend to go for months and months and months, then quit. Now that I've really joined the Atkins "family," I feel like I can work through my penchant for sabotaging my lifestyle changes. I plan on utilizing the groups here for support. I also have my husband on board for the first time which helps a lot. I will end with this: Thank you for all the years of sharing your personal and family triumphs (and struggles) with us outside of Hollywood with an upbeat attitude, that doesn't come across as self-serving and self-absorbed. It makes you inspirational in a real, refreshing and relateable way.
March 08, 2014 04:05 PM EST
Shannon G said:
When it comes to exercise I have to keep it simple. I have a lot of health issues including ra and it's pretty important for me to have something (or someone) to grab onto just in case. I have a body rider elliptical I use. It has a seat on it and handles so I feel safe using it. I usually read a book while I pedal up a sweat. I'm able to go a half an hour now but I have to stop for breaks sometimes. All together it usually takes me about an hour to get a good 30 minutes of exercise but I'm doing it! I actually started atkins not just to lose weight but because I was told Dec 2013 that I have type 2 diabetes. I was given 3 months to get my blood sugars under control with diet or I have to go on medicine and I wasn't given any guidelines for how to do this. I'm happy to say that since I've started atkins (5 weeks ago) I haven't had a single blood sugar that has been too high! Not to mention I've lost 11 lbs since week 2! I didn't weigh myself when I first started (I was a chicken and didn't want to hear from my old nemesis, the scale). I can't wait to see what my doc has to say about all this at my next visit! I honestly believe I have been addicted to carbs most of my life but I've now broken the cycle. I seldom miss my old comfort foods and the few times that I have tried a bite of them here or there, they just didn't taste the same to me. I have my whole family eating healthier now. They still get their favorite foods (macaroni and such) 1 or 2 times a week. I felt guilty at first not making all the old dishes, like I was depriving my family. Then when I really started to think about it, I realized I don't deprive them of anything good for them. They still get their grains with bread, etc. I just don't cook all the noodle and potato dishes I use to and they have all started to eat more veggies. Atkins is definately a WIN with me so far :) If this carb queen can do it, ANYBODY can!
March 12, 2014 03:01 PM EST
taylk01 said:
Hi Sharon, my activity of choice is walking. Living in the desert north of Phoenix, AZ gives plenty of opportunity all year round and there are plenty of trails and some steep hills to climb up too. I recently came back to Atkins and I am on day 22. I was okay with my weight until 4 years ago when I incurred a Knee injury. It took longer than I expected to recover, tried to do too much too quickly cause I thought everything would be back the way it was before surgery. 18 Months later, I had to have another surgery which I recovered much better from. Today I can get back into walking and hiking and soon I would like to incorporate strength training to obtain more muscle. Although I couldn't walk as much, I could still manage to do my real passion, which is to ride and train horses and also barrel race. Although you would think that this is considered exercise and does burn calories, when you are an avid rider, I don't think you burn as much as when you just begin to ride. You learn to move with the horse. But there is the prep work before riding and the daily care of the horses as far as cleaning corrales and so forth. I have been wanting to shed these extra pounds I have gained so I can move closer to a dream or goal I have set for myself and in order to do it I need to weigh less to assit the horse in the speed eventsI love to do. It is a known fact that jockeys can only weigh so much. (Not trying to get that thin though) I did Atkins several years ago just to lose a few pounds, but I never tracked anything nor did I have or want a scale. I just know my pants fit so much better. I kept on it but after about a year, the holidays came around and now and then I would let myself endulge. One thing lead to another and just never got back on track. Now at day 22, my clothes are again fitting better. I am very excited to be on track and in control of what I eat. I felt like I was spinning my wheels before. I would start something, then at the end of the day I would grab what ever to satisfy my sugar craving. I tried HCG and it worked as long as I was taking it, but then what? I couldn't afford it. Then I tried the appetite supressant, and again it worked as long as I took it cause I wasn't hungry. But when you stop taking it, what have you learned about what you should or should not eat? Nothing. So you go back to eating what you shouldn't and get cravings and eat out of control. I love the Adkins Website and the spokes persons. Something I did not have back when I started the first time, but I do still have my hardback book "Atkins for Life" and the recipes in it that are my favorite. And I really love the new food products that I can have on hand where ever I am. I may not have had as much to lose as others, but it a great feeling that my weight is coming off! I am just about half way to my goal and I have lost 12 lbs. I am very proud of myself and what I have accomplished. There are temptations around every corner, but I have kept to my plan and so far, it has paid off. I wish everyone great success! good Luck! Krissy
March 20, 2014 04:59 PM EST
riveramary said:
Hi Sharon I was in shock when i became a member on here n I saw that you a member as well" how neat". I decide to check atkins after I seen a friend FB post that she lost 5 lbs in 1 week. I was like what ever all this diets and websites ect... I thought ok another diet story but when she posted her new picture I was amaze how great she looks, and I want to look as great as well and feel good. Im young " well im only 38" lol.. but Im not happy at all I let my self go after I lost my mother I want a change I dont feel healthy no more my feet be hurting alot when walking, I be having difficult breathing and the worst I turn all night cant sleep. I been to a gastric bypass doctor and I got scare and walk away. I live in a bad neighborhood so I cant go walking like i need to, so I try to exercise in my home. But with GOD will I know I can do it and lose wight and get back on track. I will purchase some of the things I read on the recipes giving on here and LET THE DIET BEGIN . AND GOOD LUCK TO ALL THE MEMBERS TRYING TO LOSE WEIGHT AS WELL. MARY
March 23, 2014 11:37 PM EST