<August 2013>
18192021222324

Who Inspired You to Start Atkins?
Hello! How are you? Have any of you had friends or family members go on Atkins with you? What was their experience like? I want to hear your stories and I want to introduce you to my assistant Julie, who would like to share a story of her own.

Hi! When Sharon went on Atkins about a year ago, I decided to do it with her for support. Of course I thought it would be great to get healthy as well, but I had no idea this experience would change my life. I now have a healthy relationship with food, I’ve learned to control portions, and I make healthier choices. I’m not perfect. I won’t lie, there are times when I cheat. But when I cheat I don’t go overboard with it. I’ll have ONE coke or TWO French fries, and that’s my cheat. That’s it. I’m not gorging myself on way too much food anymore because I don’t want to. I don’t need to.

Some people think Atkins is all about meat, but that’s not true. You can do Atkins as a vegetarian or a vegan and never want for anything. Per the Buddhist religion, I had to eat vegan for 49 days, so I did 49 days vegan on Atkins, and never ran out of options.

Also, as a person of Asian heritage, I thought it would be hard not to eat rice, but I eat cauliflower rice, tofu noodles, and have never felt deprived. It’s actually pretty easy. I can still have the Asian foods I’m accustomed to, I just skip the rice.

Since I started on Atkins, I have lost 35 pounds, had my clothes taken in twice, and I can’t wait to buy new clothes once I’ve reached my goal weight! I’m down 6 sizes in pants and I feel like I can shop anywhere now.

Atkins works when you do it right. No matter what your background is or special needs are, Atkins is flexible enough to work for you.

Thank you for reading my story. Below are some of my favorite Atkins-friendly vegan dishes for those of you who are interested in going vegan or vegetarian on Atkins.

Best,
Julie

Breakfast: Low-carb waffles with no butter and vegan sausage.

Lunch: Raw Kale salad with grilled tempeh and roasted tomatoes in a lemon zested veganaise & olive oil dressing.

Dinner: Tofu pasta with broccoli and grilled steak tofu. (Tofu has no carbs so you can do anything with it.)

Snacks: Kale chips, vegan sausages with hot mustard, and olives.

Published Friday, August 23, 2013 01:19 PM by Sharon Osbourne
Filed Under: Carb Balance/Carb Intolerance, Weight Loss, Personal observations & lessons learned
Comments
Who's got a story for me? Go on, let's hear it!
August 23, 2013 03:14 PM EST
Queeniemary said:
I started Atkins on April 22, along with a good friend. At that same time I bought the book for two of my other dear friends, one with a heart problem, and one with diabetes and high blood pressure. After reading the book I realized that this could help them also. I am a 67 year old widow, my friend who went on the plan with me is a 64 year old male, my two other friends are males in mid 40s and mid 50s. Well, or course they all took off losing more than me...lol. I am so happy though, my friend with diabetes was fixing to have to go on the shots, now he does not have to, and his doctor is very happy with him, he has lost about 25. The friend with the heart problems has lost about 30, and his doctor told him to keep on doing what ever he is doing. They both credit me with their success and thank me every time I see them for getting them started. One of them is a wonderful chef, and they eat very very well on Atkins. My friend that started with me has lost about 30 also....me, only 17 1/2 pounds, but I am happy with it. I have 10 more to go. I knew I would be slow with thyroid problems, and age! I think the 4 of us, at least, will be Atkins for LIFE!!!
August 23, 2013 03:31 PM EST
Queeniemary, I must applaud you. You are an angel. I am 60, so I am in the same boat as you, the metabolism slows down with age, but don't you FEEL better? I have so much more energy!
August 23, 2013 03:50 PM EST
obxmab said:
You inspired me Sharon! I have tried everything, most things did not work at all, a few things worked a little some of the OTC & Script but those all left me jittery, angry and sleepless. When I saw your advertisement on TV and went to Adkins.com and read I said ok if Sharon can do this so can I. I believed that what you said was the truth and trusted that you would not say it worked for you if it did't. I started a little over 3 weeks ago and keep tweaking what I'm eating as I go along each week. I lost 9 ponds in 3 weeks. This week I am trying to not relay so much on the meal and snack bars, eat more veggies and to try and have real food for dinner and sometimes lunch. I love having the shakes and snack bars for breakfast, snacks or a sweet treat and the meal bars for a quick lunch on busy days. I am 50 and in menopause, I have gained 65 pounds over the past 10 years. If I can loose at least 30 -40 of that I will be happy. I already have more energy and clothes are fitting better which fills great.
August 23, 2013 06:43 PM EST
KarenLaPlant said:
KIDNEY TRANSPLANT'S A HUGE SUCCESS!!! THANK YOU, ATKINS!!! In January of this year, I had ballooned to 218 pounds. The stress of my 35 year old sons deteriorating health was too much to handle. Three years ago, he lost kidney function and has been on dialysis since. In the meantime, he suffered 7 heart attacks, three mild strokes and has 11 stints in his chest. He needed a kidney. About a year ago, I realized I may be a match. I was also relatively healthy. With the constant scares and hospital visits, I started having chest pains. I decided to call a heart doctor. When I realized I had gained so much weight, I was devastated. With my BMI, I would not be a candidate. I remember coming home from my appointment, sitting in the dark alone and crying. All I could think of if I lose him because of my weight, I will never forgive myself. What had I done! I had tried every diet in the book but nothing seem to work. Stress kept winning. At that moment, I picked up my IPAD to check my email. It was crazy. The first email I saw was Atkins. I looked at it as a sign. About a week later, I received my free bars and instructions. Also in that week, I signed on the Atkins community site and never looked back. It was very easy. My weight started to change. I lost 35 pounds. Two weeks ago, Aug 13th, I gave my son a kidney. In my wildest dreams, I could not have imagined how well things would go. The kidney is functioning perfectly. After our hospital release, My son came back home with me to recover. My daughter has taken off work to care for us. We are the three musketeers. I am the happiest mom on the planet. My husband asked me if I was going to continue with the Atkins program. My reply was, "It saved two lives, how could I not". I am a walking billboard for Atkins. From the bottom of my heart, I am forever grateful. Thank you, Atkins!
August 23, 2013 07:07 PM EST
Queeniemary said:
Thanks Sharon, yes I feel so very much better, and the energy is fantastic. I would not have thought loosing 17 1/2 pounds would matter so much, cannot wait to get the rest off. I have not given up my nightly glass of wine, probably would have lost faster without it, but this is going to be my way of life, and I need to enjoy it!!! You look FANTASTIC as always.
August 23, 2013 07:09 PM EST
LanaNY516 said:
My doctor told me to start Atkins when I was diagnosed with PCOS. I was 360lbs and miserable -- AND my liver was failing. That was March 8, 2012. Fast-forward to today and I have lost 160lbs and my health has turned around. That doctor saved my life by putting me on Atkins. I will eat this way for the rest of my life. It is better than any medication that I could be prescribed. I now speak at gyms in my area to try to inspire people and let them know that I believe that diet is 80% and fitness is 20% of the equation. I hope that I have helped a few people --- I know that I have ordered a few kits for people to get started.
August 23, 2013 07:16 PM EST
sam13peace said:
I was widowed twice by the time I was 40. I had 3 young sons to raise on my own. I was overweight and a smoker. I was able to quit smoking by the grace of God and the badgering of my sons but the weight remained an issue. I did Weight Watchers more times than I can count but was never able to maintain my Healthy Weight. Fast forward to May2013. I am remarried and my Father in Law is in the hospital with cardiac issues and I am thinking that I cannot stand by and watch my overweight husband go down that road. I came across Atkins by some random posting on facebook and decided to check it out. I told my husband that day "this is what we are doing". To my surprise, he agreed. It is now a journey we are taking together, we have stumbled a few times along the way but we are feeling good and enjoying a whole new world of healthy eating. Thank you Sharon for getting the word about Atkins!
August 23, 2013 08:26 PM EST
meyfam3 said:
Sharon, you were my inspiration to start Atkins. I accidently saw you on tv one night in April when my husband left it on. You were talking about how much Atkins had helped you so I went on-line to read about the program. I was 61 yrs. old and have been overweight all my life but over the last 20 years I had just gotten heavier and heavier. My daughter is also obese and in Feb., 2011 she went to Mexico and had a gastric sleeve done on her stomach as a last desperate effort to lose weight. For the next year I copied what she ate and we both lost weight but after that the compulsive eater in us won out and we both started regaining out weight. This scared us and I started looking at different diets again hoping to find something that would not only work but that I could stay on. Most of the program sites had testimonies of people who had lost 20 or 50 or 35 lbs and I thought, "Big deal, I need to lose so much that those numbers don't impress me at all!" After I saw you and heard you talk about Atkins I looked up their success stories and found people who had lost 100, 150, and 200 or more pounds and had kept them off for years. I thought, "This is what I need!" and started the program that same day which was April 28, 2013. It has now been 4 months and I have lost 56 lbs! I'm soooo happy and expect to stay on Atkins for life. Someday I plan to be one of those big losers. My daughter, son, and grandson are also losing weight on Atkins after seeing my success. Thank you, Sharon from all of us!
August 26, 2013 02:08 AM EST
Wrightn221 said:
i started Atkins when Dr. Atkins was alive due to gaining 10 lbs!!! I was much younger then, so it was a piece of cake to lose it. Nobody inspired me to go on Atkins, but I knew I had to go on some type of diet in order to lose the 10lbs that I gained.I'm 47 and have been working out for over 20 years, so working out has never been my problem. When Ineared 40, I started picking up weight due to not having enough muscle mass, eating all the wrong foods and not exercising enough. Atkins was good for me back then, so back to Atkins I went! Today, I'm 16lbs light and my goal is to lose 15 more but not sure because I love my size 12's and I'm looking good with the muscle tone I have from doing more weight training.
August 27, 2013 02:10 PM EST
mutah said:
I was on Atkins mank years ago. I tried many other eating plans but have decided Atkins is the best. Sharon Osborn was my insperation to return. I just say Paula Dean's son start his show with a very large glass of OJ and was so angry that the dangers of sugar are still not known.
September 01, 2013 10:03 AM EST
porkypine482 said:
Sharon,I am so sorry about your son and his wife losing their baby. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Take Care
September 06, 2013 10:48 PM EST
Lynnie816 said:
Thank you to everyone here for your comments, it was good reading all of them...I am touched and inspired. Sharon, you look amazing and very much younger looking than 60 yrs. To everyone... all the very best always, a happy November and take care. Lynnie816
November 05, 2013 03:15 AM EST
Lynnie816 said:
So sorry I forgot to tell my story...I'm 63, live in Johannesburg South Africa, have RA and have been battling with my weight this year. Last year I went on ATKINS and lost weight easily but because I took the advice of friends who said that ATKINS was a very dangerous Diet with serious results besides the weight lost. Well, I unfortunately went off ATKINS and started a couple of Diets that my friends had suggested...and so started the Yo-Yo. I visited a Specialist recently who checked me out, smiled when I told him what had happened, told me to return to ATKINS as High Carb is obviously not for me and not to listen to negative comments from others. Here I am back on ATKINS, other Diets shredded for good, a promise to myself and a commitment to ATKINS to be faithful and loyal to change my lifestyle and Diet for always. It's only my second day on Induction, I'm happy and enjoying everything about ATKINS this time knowing that the change is the best thing I have done for myself. This Site inspires me and I will visit it every day if possible. Thanks ATKINS and thanks Sharon and all the others who take time to share with me. Lynnie816
November 05, 2013 03:37 AM EST