<July 2013>
14151617181920

My Sugar Struggles
Hello! How is your summer going so far? I hope you are all doing well.

I wanted to talk about something that I struggle with…sugar. Now I know I can’t be the only one – does anyone else struggle with sugar? It is literally addictive! I’ve found that if I have some chocolates or a few bites of something sweet that I have to go through the whole detox process of weaning myself of sugar again, which is so frustrating. How do you deal with it?

I try to avoid it, but I’ve been traveling back and forth to the UK for work and there are so many treats over there that are hard to resist.  When I’m really tempted, I think of how I used to feel when I would try on pants and the top button would pop open, or when I couldn’t fit into my jackets, and I remember that it’s just not worth it to start with the sugar.

I was talking about it with my son Jack the other day, and he told me a funny quote from “Men In Black III.”

“-     Do you know what’s the most destructive force in the universe?
  -     Sugar?”

That made me laugh. Hopefully you enjoyed it as well and can laugh about it the next time you’re faced with the sugar struggle.

All My Love and Support,

Published Friday, July 19, 2013 04:39 PM by Sharon Osbourne
Filed Under: Induction, Weight Loss, Cravings / Problem foods, Personal observations & lessons learned
Comments
debbily said:
Thank you Sharon! Great to hear from you again! Sugar is evil, that is all I have to say about it! I totally avoid it at all costs! Wishing you the very best as you move forward!
July 19, 2013 05:30 PM EST
dfc1147 said:
Sharon,
Glad to know I am not the only one that really can't stay out of the sugar!! I am addicted to it and can't get my self out of it. One day I will succeed!! I know you will also!!
July 19, 2013 05:41 PM EST
Debbily- Hello my dear! Always good to hear from you! Do use artificial sweeteners or no?
July 19, 2013 05:52 PM EST
dfc1147 - It is amazing how addicting it really is! Once I start I've got to detox again.
July 19, 2013 05:55 PM EST
VicSue - Hi There! Thanks for your comment. It's great hearing from people who can relate. I do half an Atkins bar after lunch and half after dinner for dessert. What kind of popsicles do you make? That's interesting.
July 19, 2013 06:01 PM EST
shayleeg said:
Hey Sharon! I recently found out I have Hashimoto's disease and sugar, soy or dairy of any kind is a BIG no-no for me. The Atkins lifestyle works so well for me and has been helping me heal. Unfortunately I can't have the Atkins bars, shakes or meals otherwise it activates my autoimmune disorder and I crave sugar more! Yikes! To combat it, I eat some protein and a healthy fat every few hours to stabilize my blood-sugar so I don't have sweet cravings. Hope that helps some of you!
July 19, 2013 06:17 PM EST
mommy1982 said:
Hi Sharon....I too love sugar I think a lot of us do....but after even 6 days on Atkins I have figured out how to have sweet with out sugar.....I chew sugar free gum or ill do as everyone else does and go for a Atkins bar they are amazing......peanut butter can help the craving as well. I cant believe I just spoke to you wow I love your entire family. God bless you all.....Nora
July 19, 2013 06:23 PM EST
sunshine7399 said:
Sharon- what bar do you like the best? I just recently started the diet and I am on phase one. Started on Tuesday and I am already down 5 pounds! I am pretty much a sugar addict and I have been doing well on the diet, but it would be nice to have a small treat/bar every one in a while. Any words of advice for a first time member?
July 19, 2013 06:24 PM EST
tottpaula said:
So good to hear that I'm not the only one struggling with the sugar monster, as I like to call it.

I've just completed my first full week of induction, sadly I strayed off a bit twice, but I've still managed to raise my energy, lose 4 pounds, and lower my BMI too. (cheated with a bit of rice one day, and 2 cookies another)

I'll probably always miss sugar, but I relish the day that I can get out of plus-sized clothing, and into a normal single digit petite size that I used to wear.

By the way, to VicSue, I'd love to have a copy of that recipe for fudgesicles that you mentioned, are they allowed in induction?

Bless you for sharing, Sharon. You are one of the people I look up to, and if you can get past the sugar, well then so can I!
July 19, 2013 06:25 PM EST
guyjbedard said:
Hi Sharon,

I'm a 'carb-tard', sugar addict, grain addict, former alcoholic, former drug addict. After years of struggles with the white stuff, sugar, and grains, I came to the conclusion that I had to treat this issue as I did the other addictions, abstinence.

17 years clean and sober and 5 weeks clean and sober off of sugar and grains.

I have a great recipe for chocolate macaroons which I will post when I figure out how to use this site. The delights have no sugar, are high fat and low carb, 100% energy producing yummies! NO cravings when done!

Cheers!
GJB
July 19, 2013 07:25 PM EST
guyjbedard said:
Here are the Chocolate Macaroons recipe.

I made this up and can be tweaked to your liking and tastes.

1/4 cup of UNsweetened shredded coconut.

1/8 cup of heavy cream, half n half or whipping cream. The heavier the better.

1 TBLS of xylitol/

1tspn of virgin/xtra virgin coconut oil.

1/4 - 1/2 tspn of Fry's Cocoa (no sugar in it)

Mix all ingredients in a bowl for 30 seconds in the microwave. Roll warm mixture into small balls and refrigerate for 15 minutes. ENJOY!!
July 19, 2013 07:33 PM EST
JayhawkinMexico said:
Thank you, Sharon! It's nice to see your smiling face again!

Before Atkins, I was a terrible sugar addict. I could eat a whole box of cookies or a one-pound bag of M&M's at one sitting. Now, I don't miss sugary foods at all.

My husband also had an addiction to sugar, so when we decided to follow Atkins, we decided we would not incorporate anything that resembled a traditional dessert, even if it was low-carb. We just didn't think we could handle the temptation.

For the same reason, we decided we would not use the Atkins bars or shakes, which aren't available here anyway, apart from one type of bar we've seen at one of the health food stores. Several years ago, we tried to lose weight on Slim-Fast and ended up bingeing on the bars, so we knew we would do the same with the Atkins bars. They look delicious and I'm sure a lot of people can incorporate them into their diets.

When we started last October, we still were drinking diet soda and were using artificial sweetners. In January, we stopped drinking diet soda completely and a few months later, we stopped using artificial sweetners. We don't miss them at all.

After nine months on Atkins,we are both just about at goal, though I think we'd both like to lose a few more pounds below the goals we set at the beginning. Our doctor told us last month that our weights were fine and we really didn't need to lose any more!! I don't think I've *ever* had a doctor tell me that I didn't need to lose weight! It was a wonderful feeling!

Take care and remember that sugar is our enemy! LOL!

Cindi
July 19, 2013 07:36 PM EST
rachaelebner said:
Hi Sharon, thanks for your post! I used to be a huge sugar addict. It was my crack. I gave it up for totally for a few years, but now I can have it sometimes for a treat and then get back to business the next day no problem. The only times I crave it now is during times of high stress and some months when my PMS is in PMDD mode. I use stevia for sweetening my coffee and tea. I enjoy 85% or higher dark chocolate when I feel I want something sinful.
July 19, 2013 07:42 PM EST
viola59 said:
Hi Sharon, thanks for your post, I miss you when you are gone. I do enjoy the Atkins' bars and shakes but Russel Stover and Reese's has real good sugar free candy as well. All of these keep me away from the sugar jar. LOL. Glad you are back and hope to see you again soon.
July 19, 2013 08:53 PM EST
freemansalesgirl said:
Love your posts! I have been having horrible cravings all week! So far I have been able to resist but I wish they would just disappear. :) I think it has everything to do with PMS so I better get used to it. Sugar free jello and whipped cream have been a savior.
July 19, 2013 08:57 PM EST
lwhittaker3 said:
Hi Sharon,
I too struggle with the temptations of sweets. When the craving gets real bad I have one of my Atkins Endulge bars. I eat it very slowly and savor every bite. Thanks again for sharing on your blog.
July 19, 2013 11:00 PM EST
inkimages1 said:
Sharon i am new to this program and i take 2 shots a day and 2 different pills twice a day ! i started this to see if i can get control of it and maybe be able to get off some of this stuff ! but i dont know just how much i should eat to keep my sugar stable , if i eat just real small amounts it goes haywire , what did you do
July 20, 2013 10:16 AM EST
jt61328 said:
Sharon, Sugar is crack and I think it was the cause of World War II! That is all...JT ;-{)}
July 20, 2013 12:39 PM EST
ladylove61 said:
Sharon, thank you for sharing your struggles with us. love ya girl!!
July 20, 2013 12:41 PM EST
marquess78 said:
I crave sugar and potatoes more than anything. I've discovered a love for zucchini...it's so versatile. Cauliflower too. But I couldn't ever figure the sweets part out. So I started baking things I love using low carb ingredients. Like strawberry cheesecake with a pecan crust(instead of graham crackers). Yum. By my fav is choc chip cookies. I use the same recipe on the back of the nestles bag. Instead of white flour, I use a mix of almond meal and coconut flour(more almond meal than coconut because I hate the way coconut tastes). Splenda, Splenda brown sugar blend, and if I want to be extra good, sugar free chocolate chips. But I prefer the Hershey's special dark chips. That's my sweets solution. Denying cravings,for me anyway, leads to overindulgence. The way I see it, might as well feed the beast in a healthier way ;)
July 21, 2013 01:13 AM EST
jbrun9 said:
For me the best way to handle the sugar issue is treat it like you would the devil, stay away from it, look the other way, avoid it at all costs. When and if you succumb to its temptations, pick yourself up, get on your armor and carry on. Always be wary of its temptations. When my family wants pasta or donuts or pastries or sweets, I try to find another treat I can tolerate or buy a kind that does not tempt me so much. Then I can prepare their treat and enjoy my treat without nagging temptation..
July 21, 2013 09:08 AM EST
lcKim said:
Hello Mrs. O,

How wonderful to see your blogs on here! I have decided to give Atkins a try, starting today and so far so good. I understand how difficult it could be in the UK. The sweets there are the best. Curly Wurlys are my personal favourite. I am just glad that the Atkins snack bars are equally yummy.

My biggest temptation is potato chips of any kind. I wish there was a suitable low carb substitute for them. :)

Btw: You are looking amazing. Very inspirational. Thanks for doing this!

Kim.
July 21, 2013 09:43 PM EST
Tribalmama said:
I definitely agree with jt61328...sugar=crack. I also am a former drug/alcohol addict and found sugar to be just like the other addiction(s) in my life but I have to say the sugar one is the hardest to give up...perhaps because it is not so taboo and so easily attainable?
I have gone sugar free for months a few times before only to have it gradually sneak back in.
I'm still giving in to the atkins bars and occasionally liquid stevia but I don't want to make that a habit as well. I am presuming it will be something I will always have to be conscience about in my choices, no?
July 22, 2013 08:15 AM EST
two_behind said:
Don't deprive yourself because you will just want it that much more. When you do have the sugar it will be harder to wean yourself off like you are mentioning. My wife is in Weight Watchers and one of the meetings the leader mentioned to take items in boxes and separate them into small baggies of perfect portions. This way you grab your portion instead of an entire box and then trying to tell yourself to quit eating.

Hope this helps....
July 22, 2013 02:42 PM EST
terrilou60 said:
Glad to know I'm not the only one who struggles with sugar addiction!! I try to treat myself to one endulge treat every night if I haven't already had 15g of sugar alcohols that day. It really helps curb my sweet tooth!! Thanks for sharing Sharon, it really helps us to hear that we are not alone in our struggles! Keep on keepin' on everyone!
July 23, 2013 03:05 PM EST
Rhondajean1966 said:
I Love sugar!!!! The alcoholic drinks I have slow my weight loss so down. But I love wine. When I am dying at work of course I have my Atkins bars but I also use heavy whipping cream or half n half, about 1 or 2 tbsp. and mix with ice and diet rootbeer. You know that best part of the root beer float, that is what it tastes like. It helps ALOT!!! Love seeing your posts!!!!
July 25, 2013 02:27 PM EST
inthesonlite said:
S-H-A-R-O-N!!! As Ozzy would say ;-) Love how authentic you are!
I so wish I could eat the Atkins Bars, but they give me digestive problems. It must be the sugar alcohols. does anyone else have these problems? Splenda and Ethrytol don't seem to bother me, but the sorbitol and malitol are muder....running to the bathroom, if you know what I mean (sorry if TMI).
I'd love to find things sweetened with Sucrolose or Erthrytol.
July 26, 2013 09:58 AM EST
Wigginsb said:
I just joined Atkins two days ago. I am so excited to find you here because I adore you and Ozzy. I always watched you on America Has Talent. Sugar gives me a real fit because I have type 2 diabetes. If I eat it, I'm so tired I'm worthless. I will be watching your blog for help. I found the rootbeer float recipe yesterday and that really stops the craving for sweets. I've always used rootbeer to relieve cravings...even frozen it into ice trays for an icy treat!
July 30, 2013 04:24 PM EST
Yo11y said:
Hi Sharon, fellow Englishwoman! What a wonderful ambassador you are, not just for Atkins but for the UK!

I joined Atkins two days ago...and have lost 2lbs already. I have used Atkins before, with great success....but I fell off the wagon and am paying the price. Nobody to blame but myself! Never mind! I'm back 'on the wagon' now with a real determination, not just too look better but more so for the sake of my health. (My current weight and my age make me the perfect candidate for type 2 diabetes....which scares the crap out of me)!

Sugar is my arch nemesis! I liken my sugar addiction to alcoholism. "Just one" is one too many. So I steer clear of the Atkins bars because I know, from experience, that they can weaken my resolve, lol.

I have a tip however, (not sugar related), that I would like to share, although many of you will more than likely already be aware of it. If you like rice, as I do, you can replace it very well with cauliflower! I simply whizz raw cauliflower in the food processor, just until it looks like 'grains'. Then I put it in a dish with a tiny drop of water and put it in the microwave for just a few seconds, really just to heat it through. The result is simply the best substitution for rice....without the guilt! Even the texture is perfect! Hope this helps at least one or two of you. Good luck everyone!

Love you Sharon. x
August 03, 2013 07:45 AM EST
mamaCD said:
I too love sugar, but I simply can't eat it, it's like an addictive monster to me. Sugar is almost like alcohol and it is addictive. I do use sweeteners though, either stevia or splenda. I found that some low carb products really help me satisfy my desire for a treat. Since it's summer, I like to make iced lattes using Big Train latte mix (only 2 net carbs per serving) I also make my own protein bars, having 1 each day usually. I do have Atkins bars available at work, at home and in the car, just in case. I think the trick is to plan ahead knowing that you will crave sweets. All the best!
August 03, 2013 05:10 PM EST
zenoelle said:
This is an amazing video by a UCSF Physician, Dr. Robert Lustig, who works with childhood obesity. It's all about how we were wrong about fat in the American diet and what the gross amounts of sugar we are consuming have done to all of us. It's got some chemistry in it, but it's very interesting. When he talks about the politics behind it all and the "perfect storm" that led to food producers adding gross amounts of sugar to our food supply, it all makes sense.

Also, Sharon, a friend of mine in California posted on Facebook the other day that she was waiting for Valet service and you were too.

She said "Sharon Osbourne is soooo beautiful."
August 05, 2013 10:10 PM EST
bretman444 said:
Hello Sharon! Bret Horrell here, Iowa City, IA.

I just wanted to say congratulations on your success, and to let you know that you're inspiring a lot of people to embark on a road to better health - myself included. I've had great success with Atkins so far. I started Induction in January, at a weight of 490 pounds. After 7 months I'm down to 376. A loss of 114 pounds so far, with a very long way to go. But enough about me. Sometimes my success so far goes to my head!

Sugar is definitely "The most destructive power in the universe", as Jack so accurately quoted. I have successfully avoided the evil white stuff for many months, but July 20 was the most difficult. That was my daughter Sarah's 8th birthday, and she wanted me to bake her a chocolate wacky cake with cream cheese frosting. I can't say no to her birthday request, so I went out and bought FLOUR and a can of Betty Crocker cream cheese frosting, and baked her that cake. I used Splenda to sweeten the cake instead of sugar though. I don't want THAT stuff in my house at all. Long story short, I somehow avoided the temptation for "just a bite", but I will admit after frosting the cake I did have a taste of the frosting, and here's where it got weird. It tasted TERRIBLE! It was MUCH too sweet, and the aftertaste on my palate was just disgusting! Funny thing. The whole product smelled fantastic, as you can imagine. Chocolate cake and cream cheese frosting - it just smells so appetizing! But the sugary-sweet taste would have lingered for hours on my tongue if I hadn't immediately gone and brushed my teeth.

I do occasionally indulge in an Atkins Advantage bar, or sometimes a Russel Stover sugar free candy, (I always look at the carbs and subtract whatever sugar alcohols there are), and they seem to take the edge off of the sweet cravings.

Again, congratulations on your Atkins success. You look gorgeous! Ozzy is a very, very lucky man, indeed. Here's to continued success, and inspiring others to better health. Cheers!

Bret J Horrell
August 07, 2013 09:44 AM EST
Maria5466 said:
Sharon, I just love you...and I'm just getting ready to get started on a "healthier" life style. You look absolutely amazing in your photo's of yourself. I'm such a carb lover that I'm concerned about how I will stop myself from snacking on salty things which are my absolute downfall. It seems the moment I know I can't have something I WANT or CRAVE IT! Well again you look fabulous as always and you will be a great motivation for me : ). Thanks, Maria
August 07, 2013 01:30 PM EST
Wrightn221 said:
Hi Sharon,

I think we all struggle with the dreaded "S" word! LOL As the old folks say "We have to laugh to keep from crying." I started taking Glucommanan that was suggested by Doctor Oz and that helps me. It keeps sugar cravings away and keeps me full. I got mine from my local Vitamin Shoppe for $9.99 and it's 100. I take 3 before 3, 30 minutes before meals and it's unbelievable!
August 08, 2013 11:51 AM EST
Skinneymimi said:
Sugar..sugar..sugar! It lingers in the air to possess you!! Once a sugar addict, always a sugar addict! I am 59 years old and some things never change. I have been struggling with this addiction all my life! When I stay on Atkins I do fine without the cravings! When I decide I want sugar, I lose control! It's a constant battle. Sometimes I win and sometimes I lose. One day when I find the real answer to controlling my addiction, I will let you know! I have read some of your posts and I will try some of your strategies. I'll come from a positive place and at least I will try!
Good luck to all!
August 08, 2013 12:36 PM EST
nancy p said:
Hello Sharon, I can tell you with insight looking back, I was addicted to sugar when I was a young child. It was common for my Mother to offer me cake for breakfast! Lol...I could eat one pound candy bars and not feel bad at all, I did not know what a sugar high was until I was in my early forties. I guess sugar made me feel normal !Thank God for a fast metabolism. I'm doing great with not having it but I feel like I have the flu. I've read about the low carb flu and that really bites! Not going to give up though, determined to get this one hundred pounds off!!
God bless you,
Nancy P
August 12, 2013 11:46 AM EST
cglennon01 said:
Sharon...You look fabulous!! I am just now getting on Atkins ...I have done it before and I remember having to give up the Vino for the first 2 weeks and the sugar cravings started hitting me! My plan is to keep an Atkins bar close by for when those cravings happen!! I hope I can sail through it! :)

Thank you for keeping it real! :)
~Cindy
August 20, 2013 03:52 PM EST
Stickybeak14 said:
In the past when I was really craving sugar...I would make cheesecake...there are recipes out there with very little carbs per serving...you can make it with splenda...but what I found was the almond flour tasted sweet enough that I did not have to use the splenda..I think looking at something that has the appearance of the real thing and knowing I can eat it and not gain weight...has enough satisfaction that I don't want a cupcake...it is work the 2-3 carbs and satisfying.

SUGAR IS POISON!
August 22, 2013 05:50 PM EST
poker22 said:
Sugar is EVIL and hides in places you don't expect it to. My main goal will be to uncover all thoes little sugar carbs and their hiding spots that P$#S me off.
August 23, 2013 01:13 PM EST
JudBruc said:
I have been "alergic" to sugar, not really. Yes I have a terrible time with sugar. I bought the Atkins Advantage - Caramel Chocolate Peanut Nougat Bar because it only has 18g carbs and 11g of fiber for a net carbs of 7g. This is amazing and wonderful for my glucose readings.
August 26, 2013 07:09 PM EST
Apurposeplan4Me said:

I am so delighted when I read your blogs, they are encouraging because I know you are speaking from your sucess, and I just had to take a moment to say thank you, plus you always have looked amazing, now even more.
Big hugs to you
We Win
Rebecca aka APurposePlan4Me
August 31, 2013 05:15 PM EST
Sandik621 said:
Sharon:

Thrilled to see you on the site! I am trying again since my blood sugar has gone "sky-high", up into 300"s..I have to get down off of my addictions before they(I) kill me. I have a grandchild to look forward to next April...so I need to get cracka-lackin! Sandi
September 09, 2013 01:40 PM EST