<May 2013>
19202122232425

Give Your Menu A Mini-Makeover!
I can’t believe we’re already halfway into May! St.Patrick and the Easter Bunny must have flown right on by because I feel like I was just taking down my Christmas tree! While I might have felt oblivious, my body was certainly tuned in to the changing season. I have always loved rich comfort foods, but this year, as the weather has gotten warmer I’ve started craving lighter foods.

Does this happen to you? What are some foods that you find yourself eating more of in the spring/summer seasons?  I’ve seen a few messages from people who say they get bored because they find themselves always eating the same foods. Well, here’s your chance to throw boredom out the window! Let’s do a mini-makeover on our everyday spring menus.

I want loads of new ideas, so I’ll share mine, but I want to hear yours too! For an anytime beverage, I still swear by my sparkling water with lime or fresh mint, but I’m also mixing in Iced green tea. It’s delicious, plus it’s got loads of antioxidants and picks me right up.

For snack I’ve been keeping two-bite rosemary turkey roll-ups in the fridge at home and at work. I love the whipped cream cheese in the middle and wrapping in green onion and arugula is a great way to get some veggies in!

Now, even if you don’t usually like salad, you might want to give Caesar another try. For me, the key was making it fit for a King. Lush pieces of romaine lettuce or Kale, fresh roasted tomatoes, chicken breast that’s hot off the grill, and of course, fresh shaved Parmesan.

The grill is a must for any spring/summer menu. Almost anything on the grill is perfect for hot nights. You can do chicken, steak, fish, and even veggies! The key here is to keep things exciting by trying all different kinds of marinades. Bring on the marinade recipes! Right now my favorite dinner is chili-lime chicken with soy sauce.

The thought of a new spring menu is refreshing, isn’t it? Use it as a fresh start for yourself too. If you’ve been backsliding or falling off the wagon, this is the perfect time to re-vamp your meal plan, re-commit to the Atkins lifestyle, and get yourself looking and feeling great just in time for summer.

All My Love and Support,
Published Friday, May 17, 2013 03:34 PM by Sharon Osbourne
Filed Under: Weight Loss, Nutrition, Cravings / Problem foods, Personal observations & lessons learned
Comments
Go on, let's hear it, bring on the spring! Are you changing things up?
May 17, 2013 03:55 PM EST
JayhawkinMexico said:
Hi Sharon, It's always great to hear from you. I'm sure you're very busy, but you still have time to encourage us and share great tips. Thanks! We're in our hottest part of the year right now, so I've been thinking about meals that consist of cold things. Salads and raw vegetables are staples. So are baked chicken thighs...I bake up a couple dozen at the beginning of the week, then wrap them in foil and keep in the refrigerator. They're so easy...just brush with some olive oil, sprinkle on whatever seasonings you want, cover with foil and bake. We also eat a lot of crustless quiche. It's good hot right out of the oven but is even better cold after the flavors have a chance to mingle. Since my husband and I sometimes have difficulty getting enough vegetables, I put a lot in the quiche so we get a good amount in each serving. We like red peppers, Swiss chard, spinach, mushrooms, cauliflower, broccoli and zucchini. I crumble some cooked bacon on top along with some chopped green onion. Delicious! Your rosemary chicken roll-ups sound great! Could you share the recipe? Also, the chili-lime chicken with soy sauce sounds tasty. Take care! Cindi aka Jayhawk in Mexico
May 17, 2013 04:03 PM EST
Cindi, "Jayhawk" I've spoken to you and your husband on here before, right?
May 17, 2013 04:33 PM EST
I love the idea of crustless quiche! Maybe with some sausages!
May 17, 2013 04:38 PM EST
I want some more input here! Stop hoarding your spring and summer recipes people!
May 17, 2013 04:39 PM EST
NicholeThurmond said:
Grill some chicken and add some salsa to it. Or lemon pepper always adds a kick. I love the grilled chicken on top of my salads all year long. For a snack, I roll a slice of ham and cheese around a celery stalk, I usually heat the meat and cheese up in the microwave first. Its a great on the go snack or light meal.
May 17, 2013 04:44 PM EST
Nichole, I've never tried the ham and cheese with the celery. Great idea, I'm adding that to my list! Someone just suggested Mango salsa, have you tried that?
May 17, 2013 04:51 PM EST
NicholeThurmond said:
I thought Mangos were high in sugar. I have at least 40 pounds to lose so I have to watch it lol. I never thought you needed to lose any weight Sharon, you are always so beautiful. Ozzy is a lucky man. Thank you for being here with us. I know its not all about weight loss but to be healthier. I hope all the family is good. Keep up the ideas, I love them. Oh and stir frys are great all year as well with all these great summer veggies.
May 17, 2013 04:55 PM EST
NicholeThurmond said:
Also, to go off the subject again, I loved watching You, Ozzy and family on the show you use to have. I even named a tea cup chiuaha after him...lol. Excuse the spelling, not great with uncommon words lol. Give the family lots of kisses for me, I am a family woman.
May 17, 2013 04:58 PM EST
Oh that's a good point! Someone just suggested it on the Facebook page, but I think you're right. I better look into it first. And thank you for the compliment darling, I am 100% with you in that it's not just about weight loss...for me it's about taking responsibility for myself and getting healthy! I hope your family is good as well, sending my love and respect to you and your family. X
May 17, 2013 05:06 PM EST
NicholeThurmond said:
Thank you Sharon. Have you tried jicama, it is wonderful, I also heard that you can make a slaw with it. I prefer it as hashbrowns or thinly slice it and fry to a crisp for chips. Also kale chips are delish as well. Toss the kale in a small amount of olive oil and lightly salt, bake on low temp til they are crispy. They are great as a snack or side dish. Becareful because they are hard to stop eating lol.
May 17, 2013 05:11 PM EST
Donnahootanany said:
Sharon the fun food that I have discovered on the Atkins plan is grating some cheese, sprinking in some seasoning like maybe taco seasoning or garlic salt mix it up and place little spoonfulls on parchment paper place it in the oven for a few minutes let them cool and they make wonderfully crunchy "chips" so while everyone else is crunching yummy stuff, you have something yummy to crunch with them. Great for those family BBQ's. ALSO, off topic but, have you ever reached a plataeu and just froze there? My scale hasnt moved in 18 days and I have been a good girl! Maybe it is peri menopause but it is really getting me discouraged! Just thought I'd ask. Thanks Sharon. I am glad you are one of us! I always enjoy watching you on TV! :) Donna
May 17, 2013 06:06 PM EST
JayhawkinMexico said:
Hi Sharon, Yes, you and I have exchanged messages before. I told you a bit about my health improvements as well as my husband's improvements and about our weight loss. I agree...Atkins is not just about weight loss, though that's great. It's about taking responsibility for one's health and well-being. We both feel better than we have in decades and wish we'd done Atkins years ago instead of suffering health problems, not to mention self-esteem issues. Sausage works great in the crustless quiche by the way! I sometimes use ground pork for the meat, sometimes chicken, sometimes a mixture of ground pork and chorizo, sometimes just chorizo. And, bacon, of course. Our neighborhood butcher makes his own chorizo...just meat and spices, no sugar or other fillers. The commercially-available chorizo at the supermarket has sugar and starch added. Take care! Cindi
May 17, 2013 07:59 PM EST
doordie said:
I'm into turnips! Pare about 3 turnips quarter and boil in salted water until they are soft. Drain and add a tbsp of butter or more and a packet of splenda. Salt and pepper to taste. It will take the place of a potato with your protein meal. .
May 17, 2013 08:38 PM EST
BJee said:
HI, Sharon, I'm new here. I love boneless skinless chicken thighs on the grill wtih lemon pepper or parsley, garlic, onion, n sea salt with a fresh broccoli salad with some bacon bits, chesse ( mild chedder) sipces and in mayo with stevia to add a tad of sweetness to the mayo mix in spices ( garlic, oinion, salt n pepper, a dash of paprika). Taste so good.
May 18, 2013 11:37 AM EST
Golf Gal Cheryl said:
I just had a crustless veggie Frittata (slivered bell peppers & asparagus) at a Bunco party this week and forgot how good they are and totally Atkins legal with the eggs, cream, veggies & meat. Can google the Frittata recipes of your choice. I also love veggies with seasoned (i use Hidden Valley dry seasonings), Corto olive oil & Champagne vinegar.
May 18, 2013 02:41 PM EST
irregularwaves said:
Hey Sharon! First, I love you and Ozzy and the kids (I mean young adults). Second, here's my suggestion for a great summer meal: Jamaican Rub on Grilled, Baked or Roasted Chicken legs Summer Vegetable Salad - 1 zucchini, 1 small yellow squash, 1 medium tomato, 1/2 cucumber, 1 large carrot. Chop all veg and marinate in Italian dressing in the fridge for 30 minutes. Frozen unsweetened blueberries (1/2 c.) mixed with one fresh chopped apricot. It's like teensie popsicles with bursts of added sweetness. I really tend to eat with my eyes and this offering has all the colors and is DELISH! See you on TV :-)
May 18, 2013 08:30 PM EST
mmock12 said:
Just on day three so I haven't come up with any go-to's yet but I really appreciate the other posts! Thanks!
May 22, 2013 12:54 PM EST
gretchdef said:
Hi Sharon, I'm not new to Atkins; I've been "on and off" again a few times, bought all the Atkins books, lost 20 - 30lbs at a time and gained it all back. Needless to say, I know it all works. My mini make-over consists of keeping a drawer in the fridge filled with veggies and salad fixings just for me. I share with my husband, but he's so skinny he doesn't need to diet. He has his sweet snack drawer and I have my healthy drawer. I cut up zucchini, yellow squash, mushrooms and add frozen california blend in a frypan with butter and a sprinkle of garlic salt or soy sauce and saute' until done to go with whatever meat I have. They work well in an aluminum pan on the grill as well. When I was on Atkins before, I made chocolate muffins-in-a-minute that filled me up if I really needed that chocolate fix. On another note, my husband is a big fan of Ozzie, but I'm a big fan of yours. Thank you!
May 22, 2013 01:57 PM EST
leeshe said:
Hi Sharon, I'm sorry I'm probably in the wrong area but this is the first time to get on this site and to write something.My question is (looking at the nutritional facts on Silk Pure Almond unsweetened vanilla, with Total Carbs<1g and Dietary Fiber<1g and sugars0g, does this mean I can drink as much as I want)? Also which sweetner has 0 carbs? This site is very confusing to me and dont know where to start, where the right place to write is, where to find the answers to my questions. If you or someone could give me the first 4 steps to how to start using this site in this respect it sure would help.I'm a newbiee to Atkins x3 now in last 10 yrs. I'm 56 and it will work this time!!! I started in March and have lost I think 20 lb although I'm not following induction like I should, otherwise I'm sure I would have lost more by now. I'm really trying to get on track and do it right so these 2 questions are my first. I would like to get hooked up with someone for a "buddy" in my area,close to home in Warr Acres, Oklahoma. I am a very slow typer so it's easier to talk. I will check back here tomarow and there after till I find any answers. Thank you, my email for Atkins is cortessherril@gmail.com Thank you to anyone/everyone who are able to help.
May 23, 2013 02:40 AM EST
mrspic said:
I lost a lot of weight (150 lbs) with the help of lapband surgery. Unfortunately, I had complications with it and am now struggling to keep the weight off. In almost a year, I've gained almost 40 pounds. I retired from teaching 4 years ago and was honored to be asked back a year ago. I love my job but with the long hours found it hard to stick to a diet. My nieces are having great success with Atkins, so, as I'm in desperate need of a makeover...Atkins is going to help me get that makeover. Sharon, I'm a huge fan of yours and find you very inspiring! You're so honest and seem to have a genuine love of people.
May 25, 2013 12:55 PM EST
sweetjhara75 said:
Hi Sharon, I just moved into Phase 2 OWL this past week. My favorite snack right now is 1/4 c. plain yogurt mixed with 2 oz. strawberries, 1 tsp cocoa powder and 1 pk artificial sweetener. 13 months of Induction and 1 week of OWL. I am down 46 lbs with 39 to go!
May 26, 2013 11:04 PM EST
jasontab said:
hi Sharon, would love to have that chillie chicken lime recipe you sope of in your blog.
May 29, 2013 09:52 PM EST
rosy.alcala said:
Hola, Here is a simple recipe that is very refreshing and I use it as a side dish especially with grilled steak!! 2 cucumbers sliced 1/2 yellow onion sliced thinly or more your preference 1 yellow onion is about 5g of carbs 2 to 3 tablespoons of mayonnaise, I use Hellman's, but in Cali Best foods has the same taste add black pepper and salt to your liking, I like to use more pepper Mix it all up and you have a yummy fresh cucumber salad!! Let me know if you like it!! Thanks, Rosy
May 30, 2013 11:26 AM EST
Diggindeep said:
Just starting and Thank you all for sharing !!!
June 03, 2013 10:40 PM EST
phyllis1348 said:
I just started also. It's only been a week. I have lost 3#. I tried the Rosemary-Roasted Chicken an vegetables, It was great didn't seem like diet food. Thanks for sharing recipes.
June 11, 2013 08:26 PM EST
VALLEYGIRL9950 said:
Great summer protein shake disguised as a Root Beer Float. 1 scoop low carb vanilla protein powder 2 cups ice 1-2 cups diet root beer BLEND AND ENJOY
July 09, 2013 11:11 PM EST
charmoss said:
I'm on week two of induction and totally love grilling vegetables. I mean, I live in the South and can grill year round but I never considered grilling squash, asparagus, tomatoes, etc. The taste of these already wonderful veggies are ramped up! Also, avocados....where have you been all my life? Super food and makes salads creamy delicious! To be honest, I only lost a pound. Yes, that's 1 pound this past week. But I know my hormones are raging with menopause, type II diabetes and that would mean my weight loss would be slow going. That's okay although I am so jealous of my husband who just loses so easily! I'll have to remind myself of this if I still am poking along next week! LOL. BTW...I love that you are still 'real'. Never change!
July 23, 2013 07:28 PM EST