<May 2013>
19202122232425

What's your favorite snack?
Hello! How are you all doing? How has your week been so far? Time to catch up!

Last week in our Facebook chat we talked about Tips for Success on Atkins, and one of my tips was to “get ALL the junk food out of the house and stock up on loads of healthy snacks.” I thought about it more, and it’s not just the house. It’s the office, the car – anywhere you eat, you’ve got to clear out the junk and put in a healthy option that you really like.

It seemed like everyone was ready to get rid of the junk food, but a lot of people weren’t totally sure what kinds of healthy snacks to put in its place.

One of my favorite snacks to have at home is “ants on a log” - celery with sugar-free peanut butter (minus the raisins on top). It really hits the spot, especially late at night. Another easy celery snack is “turkeys on a log,” which is celery, cream cheese, and turkey on top.

I mentioned almonds since they are a great no-mess snack to keep in your purse or in the car alongside your Atkins bars, but, if you find yourself craving potato chips, you have got to try Kale crisps or Parmesan crisps. Those are both heavenly!

In my dressing room at “The Talk” I always have a vegetable tray – celery, broccoli and cucumbers. I love having veggies around all the time because they’re good for you and they really fill you up! Be careful about what kind of dip you use though, make sure it’s low-carb or make your own from one of the recipes on the website. Atkins has a great one for Blue Cheese Dressing.

If you’re sick of traditional veggie platters, mix things up with a grilled vegetable tray, which are perfect for spring and summer, right? As the weather gets warmer I find myself moving away from some of the traditional comfort foods and more towards lighter veggie options, which reminds me – hello to all the Atkins Vegetarians! See what Atkins is doing just for you http://on.fb.me/YjuUUb and send me veggie ideas & recipes, I can’t get enough.  That being said, I would never want to go without my sausages, which I recommend as a snack morning, noon, and night!

Your turn! You guys always have great ideas, so I’m looking forward to reading them!

All My Love And Support,

Published Friday, May 03, 2013 01:14 PM by Sharon Osbourne
Filed Under: Induction, Nutrition, Personal observations & lessons learned
Comments
pamtime22 said:
Sharon, my favorite summer time snacks are watermelon and cucumbers - plain, but chilled very cold from refrigerator. I know cucumbers are harmless, but watermelon has a lot of natural sugar. I will need to look that food up.
May 03, 2013 02:11 PM EST
Pamela at Atkins said:
Watermelon is (unfortunately) very high in carbs. Try to avoid it until you've hit your weight loss goal.
May 03, 2013 02:17 PM EST
annieesser said:
Cheddar cheese slices & sausage rounds. I have them almost every afternoon when those 2:00 hunger pangs get me!
May 03, 2013 02:53 PM EST
lynnevon said:
Hi Sharon! When its time to start adding fruit back into the acceptable foods list, the best ones to start with are cantaloupe (1/4 melon has 7 net carbs) and blackberries (only 3 net carbs in half a cup)! There's nothing like a bit of fresh fruit in the summertime! I just purchased an ice cream maker and I am going to make low carb home made ice cream, I cannot wait! Right now my favorite breakfast is scrambled eggs with mashed avocado and sour cream, I put it in a bowl and eat it up!
May 03, 2013 02:55 PM EST
Pamela, isn't that unbelievable about watermelon - I thought it was all water! It just goes to show you really have to do your homework.
May 03, 2013 02:56 PM EST
richkadams said:
My favorite snack is Broiled Crispy Mozarellla Cheese. Spray PAM on a cookie sheet, Spread shredded mozarella cheese on the cookie sheet, place under a broilder until it's bubbly and starts to turn brown. Take out of oven and let set for a couple of minutes. After it sets you can rip off some and enjoy. It gooey, crispy and yummy. At times I also dip the pieces in sour cream.. Sooo Goood.
May 03, 2013 03:05 PM EST
Annie, sausage is always a perfect snack!
May 03, 2013 03:05 PM EST
Rick, I must try that! It's almost pizza
May 03, 2013 03:06 PM EST
goldendomer316 said:
Pepper jack cheese fricos. Great with some salsa.
May 03, 2013 04:05 PM EST
stamper66559 said:
I love fresh cauliflower and low-carb dip or a spoonful of sugar free chuncky peanut butter. I cut up cauliflower and put single servings in baggies so I always have some in the fridge. Usually on Sunday I boil up eggs and make deviled eggs and some chicken salad. Both can make a good snack.
May 03, 2013 05:34 PM EST
Everfriend67 said:
I like to make "Egg Muffins" You scramble eggs, add what every you would like. I add shredded cheese, sausage (tonight I put Chirizo sausage - you fry the Chirizo (I also fried onions with it) then let it drain in a fine colander for a LONG time because it is VERY oily. Then you mix it in with the eggs. Pour the mixture in to your muffin cups - I use silicone. Bake on 350 for 20 min and let cool. Then you can wrap them individually and freeze them! You can grab them, heat in the microwave and go! A quick breakfast or on the go snack!
May 03, 2013 07:54 PM EST
shysraveneyes said:
I like the Atkins shakes if I need a snack the bars are good to but use them not to often i really dont snack if I do Usually a light salad.
May 03, 2013 08:28 PM EST
NicholeThurmond said:
Sharon, since you love the celery sticks so much, you should try this. I take a slice of ham and put a piece of cheese on top and microwave it til its melted, then wrap it around the celery stalk. It is great as a snack or lite meal on the go. I was having late night stomach growling one night and was in the kitchen telling myself I wasnt going to mess up and I tried that. It really was good.
May 03, 2013 09:43 PM EST
daniellamunson71 said:
Today is my first day at this. I have been doing WW but have hit a plateau and thought I would try this out. I had a shake for breakfast and a meal replacement bar for lunch. Did pretty good until the ride home and I started to feel sick. Had to make my husband stop at Wawa so I could pick up something to eat to curb the nausea feeling. I did good though. They had 2 hardboiled eggs in a vacuum pack and I got a piece of string cheese. It helped tremendously. Then when I got home I had a huge salad for dinner. But I have only had 10 net carbs all day. Do I have to have 20 a day? Tomorrow will be better planning wise and I can be better prepared for my meals at work.
May 06, 2013 07:44 PM EST
maewest131 said:
Daniella, you really need the 20 carbs, mostly because you need the calories, fat and protein that go along with it. I try to eat about every 4 hours. Keeps your metabolism going! Good luck!
One of my favorite snacks is to take the onion and chive cream cheese and spread it on slices of deli roast beef and then sprinkle a little bit of garlic salt on it and roll it up. Yum!!!
May 07, 2013 09:45 PM EST
ksovcik said:
Almonds are my favorite snack because usually when i want a snack its more about needing something to munch then total hunger and you can have like 1oz for only a couple carbs so it is healthy and fills my need to crunch something.
May 08, 2013 10:07 AM EST
pjmiller65 said:
Hi Sharon! Another great snack for for your relish tray are ham roll-ups! Of course, using the best Atkins-approved ham, a thin slice of cream cheese, and a thin slice of dill pickle. Lay out the deli ham slice, cut a thin piece of cream cheese from the block, and cut the dill pickle in to a thin slice. Put the cream cheese and pickle on the ham...roll, then eat!
May 08, 2013 02:07 PM EST
nurse929 said:
Sharon.. I have always admired you and I am thrilled that you're here! About 10 years ago I lost 60lbs on Atkins and I felt wonderful and so empowered! Sadly, since then gradually, and little by little I have gained it all back. My plan is to get started next Friday when I get paid so I can buy groceries that fit in the Atkins plan. I really struggle with weight loss and fitness and the needed motivation. I desperately wish I could find that place within myself that I had a few years back when I lost the weight on Atkins and I was so happy and fulfilled with my success. I am in such a rut. I see from my journal that I have been attempting to get back to that place since April 17, 2011.. 2 years !! In the last 2 years I have lost my best friend (My dog) and my daughter moved out with her then fiancee, they eloped last August. I have lost my nephew .. his mother took both him and his sister 2 years ago, but thankfully the sister is back with us now. My nephew is in Florida with his mother and we are not allowed any contact with him. I have never lived alone in my life but I have for the last 2 years since my daughter moved out, it's a very different life .. on top of that I reached menopause last summer.. I feel like a train wreck. I have gained about 35 lbs in the last 2 years. lots of big changes and 35lbs gained. Sometimes I wonder why I feel lost and depressed but now that I see it in print.. wow... I just pray that I have the same resolve and determination next Friday when I go grocery shopping that I have as I sit here writing this today. You are an inspiration!
May 10, 2013 11:24 AM EST
jonwilliams911 said:
Sharon you look AMAZING! In 2005 I lost from 240 to 175 with Atkins. I'm now back up to 200 and am looking forward to my new journey down to 145.... And to stay there!!!! Day one here we GO!!!
May 11, 2013 09:05 PM EST
sweetjhara75 said:
Sharon, I like to make mini veggie pizzas on flax meal crust. Onions, spinach, mushrooms and tomato slices topped with mozzarella, yummy!
May 14, 2013 05:18 AM EST
viola59 said:
Hello Sharon, I just want to say that I am so happy you are with us on Atkins. I have always admired you and you have always been a beautiful lady even before losing all your weight.
May 17, 2013 02:41 PM EST
Archgirl said:
I started the Atkins diet, phase one a week ago and have lost about 9 lbs. My nutritionist says it is a good diet but to be careful about too much protein. She says to divide your weight by 2.2. This will give you the amount of protein to not exceed in order to protect your kidneys on this diet.
May 18, 2013 01:59 PM EST
kellierara said:
My favorite snack is half a tomato (sliced) and some sliced cucumber with pesto and cheese. Very delish!
May 19, 2013 10:01 PM EST
nesse919 said:
My favorite snack is one handed down by my late grandfather. A halved avocado with the pit hole filled up with sardines. ohhhh my, that's delicious. I leave the olive oil in the sardines and add some black pepper and a bit of lemon juice. SHAAARROOON! loved you on AGT :) feisty! you have to try this snack. you can even eat it with some almond chips for a nice crunch.
May 20, 2013 09:56 PM EST
Rhondajean1966 said:
My favorite snack was ice cream. Now i just take a little heavy cream, add ice chips and top with diet root beer. Taste just like the best part of a rootbeer float, the end gulp...mmmmm.....i dont feel left out....
May 24, 2013 11:41 AM EST
sedaughtry said:
My favorite snack is pepperoni slices with a bit a jalapeno cream cheese
June 11, 2013 12:09 AM EST
Acallia said:
I love the Atkins Bars! All of them, but not at once Ha! Ha!
August 16, 2013 04:41 PM EST