<May 2013>
19202122232425

Dukin' It Out With Dukan

Although I’m firmly convinced that Atkins is the best way for most people to slim down and stay there, I’ve never believed in bashing other diets. If you find something else that works for you—both for weight loss and weight maintenance— congratulations. But I now find that I must make an exception when it comes to the Dukan Diet.

If you haven’t heard of Pierre Dukan, a French neurologist, you will shortly, as a book on his diet will soon be published in the United States. In a recent article in The New York Times, Dr. Dukan said, “I am built on the shoulders of Weight Watchers and Atkins diets.” But it’s not his effort to ride the 40-year wave of Atkins popularity that concerns me. Nor is it that the Dukan Diet is a copycat program. In fact, it actually bears scant resemblance to the New Atkins Diet, as you’ll learn below. Think about it: how could a hybrid of Atkins and Weight Watchers even come close to our signature low-carb program?

Research? Nada. Safety? Uncertain

No. My real opposition to the Dukan Diet is that there’s absolutely no scientific research to substantiate any of its claims—and therefore no evidence that it works or that it’s safe. Contrast that with the more than 60 studies published in peer-reviewed journals that have consistently validated the safety and efficacy of the Atkins Diet. Moreover, over-consuming protein, which the Dukan Diet calls for, could be risky.

Minor Similarities, Major Differences

Yes. There are some superficial similarities between the Atkins and Dukan diets. Both consist of four phases, with the first one designed to kick-start weight loss, the second to reach or get close to goal weight, the third to stabilize weight loss and the fourth an ongoing way of life. Neither diet asks you to track calorie intake. Both control intake of carbohydrates, rely primarily on whole food sources and recommend incorporating activity into the program after the first two weeks. Beyond these basics, the two diets differ significantly in the ratios of the three macronutrients of protein, fat and carbohydrate allowed. There are also very different philosophies in the approach to changing dietary habits to achieve the real goal: permanent weight loss.

The Proportion of Protein

Protein is essential to building and repairing cells, among other life-preserving functions. Protein helps you feel full so you don’t overeat and helps stabilize blood sugar levels. Protein is also about 25 percent harder to digest and metabolize than carbohydrate or fat, meaning you burn extra calories in the process. All these reasons explain why protein is an important component of Atkins, but it is by no means a high-protein diet. We recommend people consume adequate protein, meaning about 4–6 ounces (tall men could have up to 8 ounces) at each meal. This averages an intake of 13–22 ounces a day, which falls within most nutritional guidelines. Moreover, we caution that eating more than the recommended amount of protein can stall weight loss.

In contrast, the Dukan Diet allows its followers to consume unlimited amounts of protein. By simultaneously restricting natural fats and practically eliminating carbohydrates, including all vegetables (!) in the initial phase, you’re left with only one option: protein. Of course, most protein sources also contain some fat. Stuck in the old paradigm that dietary fats are always unhealthy, Dr. Dukan specifies low-fat meats, poultry and cheese. His effort to avoid fat results in a disturbing excess of protein. My analysis of the initial phase suggested menu reveals that 62 percent of calories consumed comes from protein, compared to 30 percent for Atkins. That’s more than double the amount!

How About Carbs?

Also of concern is the absence of vegetables on the initial phase of the Dukan Diet. As you well know, even in Phase 1 of Atkins, when you reduce your intake of simple carbs, you’re still getting complex carbs in the 20 daily grams of Net Carbs comprised primarily of leafy greens and other low glycemic vegetables. Depending on which foundation vegetables you select—there are almost 90—you could be getting anywhere from five to 10 USDA servings a day. These veggies are a valuable source of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and numerous other phytonutrients. They also supply fiber, which helps keep you regular and slows the conversion of carbs to glucose, moderating the blood sugar roller coaster. Fiber also scrubs your arteries of plaque, helping reduce the risk of heart disease.

So how many vegetables would you get to eat in the first phase of the Dukan Diet? Zero! That right, not a single vegetable, unless you want to count a few herbs in some recipes. Even in the second phase you alternate days of eating what Dr. Dukan calls “pure protein” (although it obviously includes some fat) with days in which you combine protein sources and vegetables, choosing from a list of 25 veggies. Just to be clear, this means that every other day you eat no cooked veggies and not even any salads, nada! As a result, these valuable sources of fiber (to say nothing of micronutrients) simply aren’t on the menu. And this pattern of eating continues possibly for months on end if you have a lot of weight to lose. No wonder two tablespoons oat bran is an absolute daily requirement!

After two weeks in Induction on Atkins, you begin to add new carb foods, including first nuts and seeds and then berries and a few other low glycemic fruits like cantaloupe. These foods add variety, helping relieve boredom. Not long after that, yogurt, fresh cheeses and legumes round out the menu. On Dukan, no fruit—and that includes berries—is allowed until the third phase, in which you stabilize your weight. Even nuts, which are full of essential fatty acids and have been shown to cut the risk for heart disease, can be eaten only occasionally and not until one has achieved goal weight.

Fat Is Your Friend on Atkins but Not on Dukan

When you follow the Atkins Diet, you switch your body from burning primarily carbohydrate, in the form of glucose (sugar) to burning primarily fat, including body fat. As long as you control carbohydrate intake, there’s no risk in consuming natural fats—you should, however, avoid trans fats—on Atkins. Dr. Dukan doesn’t agree—that’s where his debt to Weight Watchers comes in. His recommendation: eat only lean meats and poultry and low-fat dairy products (which, of course, are higher in carbs—go figure).

As mentioned above, in the first phase of the Dukan Diet, followers eat only low-fat protein and virtually no carbs. Eliminating carbs, reducing fat and relying solely on protein for energy is extremely inefficient. This approach also starves the body of essential nutrients such as vitamins A, D, E and K, which are soluble in fat but not in water. Fat plays a major role in moderating blood sugar levels, which helps maintain energy level and keep hunger and cravings under control. The calories from natural fats may be the very thing you need to get your metabolism tuned to the right mix of fuels. Fat is the essential nutrient that makes low carb safe and effective. Protein can’t do the job alone. The tag team of protein and fat keeps you from being deprived and avoids the negative impact of excessive protein.

Fat Makes Low Carb Work

I asked Dr. Jeff Volek, associate professor at the University of Connecticut and coauthor of The New Atkins for a New You, for his views on the Dukan Diet. “Long-term success on a carbohydrate-restricted diet requires more than a casual approach and the Dukan Diet falls short,” he said. “Dr. Dukan’s approach ignores the well-documented fact that people vary in their ability to metabolize carbohydrates and that when carbohydrate intake is low, increasing fat intake has an important role in providing fuel, flavor and functional satiety.”  In other words, you need fat to stay energized, savor the taste of food and feel full. And when your energy level is high and you’re tummy isn’t rumbling with hunger, you don’t overeat. In fact, any diet that skimps on natural fats is inherently unsatisfying, making it extremely difficult to sustain long term and almost certainly doomed to failure.

Maintaining Weight Loss

Dr. Dukan claims that to maintain weight loss you “shock your body” into fat burning by reverting once day a week to the program’s stringent guidelines for phase one. The rest of the week, you can “eat whatever you want,” according to the Dukan website. This approach has absolutely no basis in physiology. It takes three or four days for the body to shift from a glucose (carb-burning) metabolism to a primarily fat-burning one. By returning to a low-fat, higher-carb diet for six days a week, a person will likely never sustain fat burning. This advice also flies in the face of all we know about yo-yo dieting. As soon as people return to their old way of eating (whether six or seven days a week), they are almost certainly going to regain the pounds they lost.

On the other hand, Atkins followers are encouraged to find their own personal carb tolerance level, which consistently keeps their body in the fat-burning metabolic state, allowing them to maintain their new weight—for good.

The Last Word

I also asked Dr. Eric Westman, who is director of the Duke Lifestyle Medicine Clinic and another coauthor of The New Atkins for a New You, to chime in. “As a scientist who keeps up with the literature, I am not aware of any studies that have been published about the Dukan Diet," whereas the Atkins lifestyle was developed from a clinical practice that treated obesity, diabetes and other metabolic problems for over 30 years and then repeatedly tested the diet in clinical trials with excellent results.” Enough said.

Share and Share Alike

I’m curious to know what you think about the Dukan Diet and whether you’d heard of it before reading this blog? Please share your thoughts with the Atkins Community and also let me know what you’d like to hear about in the future. Finally, to subscribe, just go to http://ow.ly/3GK2g.

Published Monday, March 28, 2011 12:09 PM by colette_heimowitz
Filed Under:
Comments
Good point about the lack of clarity around protein. I think my next blog will be about protein. That is a subject that requires it's own coversation. I think the oat bran may be recommended to avoid constipation because it is the only source of fiber.
March 29, 2011 06:45 PM EST
Good point but fat is what makes high protein safe. The Inuits diet was 70% fat. They also ate roots and berries when available.
March 29, 2011 06:48 PM EST
It does not seem as though you are eating enough. Do a spot check and make sure you are consuming the minimum of 1500 calories and 12 to 15 net carbs daily in the form of vegetables.
March 29, 2011 06:39 PM EST
girlit said:
I am French and i do dislike Dukan Diet. Few months ago, i tried it. And it's almost impraticable. The reasons : - The total miss of good fat makes the diet insane. Dr Dukan declared that good fats like almonds, avocados, olives ... are "dangerous" for health. No comment. - Dukan dieters are permitted to eat anything at anytime (as long as it is protein or fat free soft white cheese). That's definitely not the right way to learn people how to eat properly and healthily. - Dr. Dukan never speaks about calories. And that's a huge mistake. Whatever diet people choose, when it comes to loosing weight, we always have to watch and care about the daily calories intake. - THE DAIRY PRODUCTS. I am neither nutritionist nor scientific. But I have big doubts about the supposed benefits of those products, particulary when we are trying to lose weight. (and even after ...) Here are my "results" after 3 weeks on this diet : I was constantly tired, I had a splitting headache, my stomach was full but I did not feel good at all. I had no energy and my skin was not as its best. So I made internet research and discovered ATKINS DIET. I read SO MANY websites, blogs, and obviously the official website. I decided to start it. It seemed definitely more sensible and sane than my former diet. My only problem is that Atkins diet doesn't exist in France (too bad ...) So I need to buy Atkins products in the US or UK. And that's not really cheap from France. (Advantage bars & shakes are very helpful). But it worths it. I had "only" 22 Lbs to lose and the work is almost over. Last thing : I feel REALLY good since I started Atkins diet, and I plan to keep that low carb way of life for ever ! Thanks for reading me :) And sorry if my spelling is wrong.
May 09, 2011 11:30 AM EST
ebergstrom said:
One comment on the Inuits. Because they live so far north in their native environs, they have to have a high fat diet (hence the need for whale blubber, duck and seal). They actually have an extra layer of fat just under their skin to assist in warmth. It is the influx of a so-called "western diet" of junk food that has shortened their lives. Just consider how hard it is to get fresh fruit and veggies north of the Arctic Circle. So if they augment their high fat diet with high carbs, it is a recipe for all sorts of disease.
April 11, 2011 06:46 PM EST
knorris47 said:
A word about the Intuits and other peoples who eat protein only. According to the author of The Great Cholesterol Con their life span is quite short with some as young as in the 20's and in particular the Intuits 55. They just don't get old enough to get heart problems. I'll stick with Atkins! Thanks Colette!
March 30, 2011 10:19 AM EST
missycapecod said:
I also started the dukan diet just before starting with atkins. I had tried the atkins many years ago and lost but failed to keep it off. I though Iwas doing good with the dukan but after two days the scale was not moving. I started atkins and have lost 2.5 lbs in 3 days. I still do not eat tons of fat, but i certainly have not excluded it the way dukan wants you to. I also missed the crunching salads. this time however i will be very careful about the kinds and amounts of carbs i reintroduce. that was my down fall last time and to be honest the support such as this on the internet was not available then. dukan claims cupport is so important but there is nothing htere on the main website.
May 19, 2011 11:32 AM EST
-atkins4eva- said:
I had not heard of this diet but its good to have the information for when friends and family try to compare it to Atkins I will have some correct rebuttal points. I have a lowish ACE at 45gnc and find I eat a ratio of about 60% fat, 25% protein and 15% carbs in my eating plan. I don't alter this much and so if I'm planning on a lovely pork chop or roast for dinner I'll eat a tuna salad for lunch. I enjoy eating cheese, also a good source of protein so I spread that throughout my day and generally have an omelette at one meal. When I eat too much protein I feel quite uncomfortable but this is preferable to eating high carb foods. I have maintained my weight loss for nearly 3 years. I would not recommend a diet that contained protein levels any higher than Atkins and veges are not-negotiable for me, got to have them!
March 29, 2011 07:13 PM EST
mils333 said:
The Duken Diet is quiet extreme, reminiscent of the Stillman-like fads that came out in the late 60's and early 1970's. Been there. Tried that. I'm not going back!
March 28, 2011 06:46 PM EST
engagedtone said:
I'm 30g total carb, 60g protein, and 245g of fat a day - as prescribed by my keto RD. Diets like this make explaining my food even harder because of the bad science. Someday I'll be able to say "it's like Atkins but with more fat" without getting a side-eye. Maybe.
March 28, 2011 11:46 PM EST
rhobo said:
I live in France so know this diet and did try it almost five years ago! I lost weight very quickly, about 18 pounds in very few weeks - to go from 150 to 132. I stabilised with a gain of around 5 pounds but didn't go through the rest of the stages. It's horrendously restrictive, to the extent that I could never do it again! The initial 5 day period is protein only, at the end of which there is a choice of alternating periods - ie one day protein followed by one protein plus veg, or five and five, for example. Oat bran is the only fibre for the five days of protein only and is eaten at breakfast with "fromage blanc" (thick yoghurt!) at 0 fat. I have never eaten so much natural yoghurt in my life! Or ham.... Never to be repeated - even the thought of it makes my mouth turn down at the edges! Friends who did the same diet had astounding results over a very short time too but have all regained and are bigger than ever. It's impossible to keep to long term as it really is too restrictive and I lacked all the energy that I currently enjoy with my piles of fresh veggies and the occasional fromage blanc (full fat!) for 3 nc's. Feeling sluggish and wanting to eat more because your taste buds are screaming for flavour is not my idea of a successful eating plan. Here I am with Atkins, savouring every mouthful of a delicious crunchy salad with a fatty salmon steak and a splash of lime juice. Now THAT's eating!
March 30, 2011 01:18 PM EST
the512melrose said:
I think I'll stick to the recommendation of a nutritionist. Glad it's working for you, but why continue on the Dukan plan if it's been found to not provide the proper tools to MAINTAIN weight loss? And the lack of research and documentation concerns me. Good luck on your journey.
April 16, 2011 01:56 AM EST
eiremaisie said:
I've been on Atkins for 3 months now, April 1st will be 4. I read about this new diet and since I can't stand vegetables, with the exception of salads, found it impossible to get 20 carbs a day. I tried the Dukan diet for 3 days and all I can say about it is - Absoultely worth it! Lost 6 lbs! I am still on Atkins but I do switch it up every now and then and do the 1 or 3 days on Dukan and still don't worry about my carb intake and no, I do not and will not eat 20 grams of veggies a day. All I ever read on the Atkins blogs and FB pages is about calories and their cravings. C'mon! I'm sick of reading it. All you nay-sayers may want to try it.
March 29, 2011 06:41 AM EST
jodgar said:
I'd like to know more about nitrates and nitrites. Not sure I spelled that correctly.
April 14, 2011 07:38 PM EST
MareBare said:
I hadn't heard of the Dukan diet until reading about it in this Blog. I have never been much of a meat eater, but not a veggie eater either. I would be just happy as a clam to eat spaghetti for every meal of the day, with a cheese sandwich as a snack! The Atkins Diet is very far from the way I have always eaten, even when I was on Weight Watchers! I think the new WW program has more of the kinks ironed out, but it's still pretty high in carbohydrates in the form of unlimited fruit and whole grains. But it seems to be working for thousands of people. With all of the diet programs out there, it's really hard to decide which one to try, and to stick to in the long run. The thing that keeps me going on Atkins after 25 days is the knowledge that some day I will be able to have some of my favorites again, like nuts, and berries, and even mellon! Maybe even some yogurt now and then which I love and really miss. I'm sure that the Dukan Diet book is full of testimonials just like the Atkins book and others, and I'm wondering if the different diets work for different groups of people because we are all so different. My husband would be overjoyed to be on a diet that was strictly protein, and would never admit if he was feeling sluggish or bad because he would be so happy eating all of that meat! Me on the other hand, I would be happy on a high carb, low fat diet, but that was my downfall because it left me hungry all of the time. It seems that whatever plan works for you is the one you should be on regardless of what you read or hear about it. But it has to leave you feeling energized and able to live your day with joy and hope. That is what I get from Atkins, and that is why I'm sticking with it for the long haul.
March 31, 2011 09:01 AM EST
MareBare said:
Kibejudy, You are so right, success comes when we keep trying! Failure only happens when we give up! I have the same problem with carbs, and have noticed that when I start to eat them, I continue to eat and eat. If you'd like to buddy up or join an inspirational forum, check out the Christian Friends Thread. There are some really great people there that have wonderful ideas as to how to keep at it, and not give up. I can't imagine going completely without carbs for a year, but losing 100# must have felt wonderful! Mare
April 02, 2011 08:57 AM EST
PhilTUK said:
I find your use of language around protein somewhat confusing, Colette. I assume your 4-6 ozs per meal of "protein" is actually 4-6 ozs per meal of meat, fish or other high protein materials. 4-6 ozs of (lean) chicken breast meat would be 36 - 54g of protein per meal, *3 = 100 - 160g of protein per day which is a reasonably high protein intake on the Atkins diet but not outlandish. With the fattier choices preferred by Atkins the protein intake comes down to around 1 - 1.5g protein per day per kg lean bodyweight. On the Dukan diet the protein intake would have to be around 270g of protein to get 1380 calories per day (eg from 30 ozs chicken or 10 ozs per meal) - at which level protein is a rather high 3g per kg lean body weight. In reality those on the Dukan diet consume more like 600 calories a day on "protein only" days which is what no doubt helps with the weight loss. I don't understand Dukan's thing about oat bran either, seems to be it's 8g of net carbs per day at a high glycemic index - for what purpose ?
March 29, 2011 03:01 AM EST
scardwell13 said:
Just started this diet and want to know if I eat the following if I can expect to lose weight. I am 61 years old and have a very small frame. Would like to lose 15 pounds. Here's what I'm eating: Breakfast: Atkins Protein Shake Lunch: Meat/Cheese rollup, Celery, 2 olives Dinner: Salad with turkey and Ranch Dressing Snack: Atkins Advantage Bar (recommended for all phases) Appreciate your response.
March 28, 2011 06:26 PM EST
Chatkat said:
Im a slow looser. No sugar or potatoes,rice,pasta. Still do not loose weight! 9 mos on atkins. Exersize everyday only lost 10 lbs. Need another 5-10 lbs. But getting discouraged!
March 30, 2011 09:38 AM EST
Labhraín said:
I imagine the diet may get popular because it buys into the lipophobic ideas that still prevail in our mainstream dietary recommendations. And it's French, so it much be good since French women don't get fat, right? Of course, the traditional French diet looks nothing like the Dukan diet. I can't imagine giving up my veggies and fats, no matter how much I enjoy protein-dense foods. Aside from sounding unhealthy, it sounds really quite boring, as well.
March 28, 2011 02:55 PM EST
thespiderlady said:
I would just like to add that several years ago I did basically a very high protein diet - I lost weight, but wound up with an added "Benefit" of Kidney stones. Doc said it was due to such an excessive amount of protein.
March 30, 2011 09:53 AM EST
wiscgirl said:
Colette, You mention that in the initial phase of Atkins, about 30 percent of calories come from protein. Over the long term, what is an ideal percentage of calories from protein (and from fats and carbs)? Is there any research that shows how much protein is too much (or too little) in terms of percentage of calories and/or grams per day?
April 13, 2011 09:02 PM EST
mtnbiker said:
Although I don't agree with the Dukan diet as described above, because of the lack of research and studies, I do have one comment. In Gary Taubes book, "Good Calories, Bad Calories" there has been research done on people groups that sustain their bodies on meat alone- the Intuits are the people group I remember. Following that observation, a study was done to support that man can live on fatty meat alone. Some diets earlier in the 1900's were built on such claims. I'm sure most people that have access to our variety would have a hard time with meat alone for such a lengthy time (and low fat!!!). But if Dukan's "induction" was fatty meat, it might be more plausible. Unfortunately his maintenance phases are going to add back on the pounds and frustrate the masses.
March 29, 2011 07:24 AM EST
b5fan88 said:
Scardwel13...I don't think you are getting enough carbs! Are you getting 20 a day? It doesn't seem like enough to keep you going. Try real food for breakfast instead of Atkins products. They are fine for a snack, but meals should be more substantial, less processed foods-especially during Induction. Good luck!
March 28, 2011 09:49 PM EST
nessi said:
I started the Dukan diet and started writing a blog about my experiences. After the first phase I craved vegetables souch that when I could have veg I had celery for breakfast! I also found my energy levels were non existent. I persevered for over a month and found I lost very little weight, so I changed to the Atkins diet that had worked for me 11 years ago when I needed to loose my baby weight last time. It started working straight away and I was gutted that I hadn't started off with it! Anyway still a fair way to go but it's doable with Atkins!
March 29, 2011 01:41 AM EST
ursa_so said:
I think the Dukan diet is way too extreme. It is never good to rob your body of practically everything, but one nutrient. That cannot be healthy. Our bodies and minds need variety and change, and that is most often shown through our diets and way of eating. I think they there should have been some studies about the effects, since one can seriously damage the way the body / metabolism functions. I am not a fan and would not try it, just because I don't think it's safe.
March 28, 2011 02:39 PM EST
cporte12 said:
I tried this diet as soon as I had heard about it a couple months ago. It was very expensive buying only chicken and fish, and was just so hard to follow. I dont remember how much weight I had lost, but I can tell you that I gained it all back, plus some. It was ridiculous to maintain. Then the veggies go bad before you can even eat them! It was recommended that you switch from like 3 days of pure protien to about 2 days of protien and veggies and keep alternating like that until you lose all your weight. Horrible. It left me with a mindset that fat is horrible for you, and its still difficult for me to eat a lot of fat. But I just switched to Atkins about two weeks ago and I love it! I am still struggling to get all my fat calories in but im working on it. I dont think people will be able to do the Dukan after they realize how crazy restrictive it is!!
March 28, 2011 03:04 PM EST
deborahspalm said:
I had a friend who when I was very young (with a weight problem),tell me she would go on a diet with me and pay for it. I didnt know it was the Adkins diet untill I read the book for the first time. I am so happy to find this again, I tryed weight watchers,shots,fasts,slimfast,and counting carbs.All with minimal success.I lost over 80 pounds the first time around with Adkins,and am hoping to lose more now.(its been 30 years, and my weight has crept back up.) So far I have lost 25 pounds,all my clothes fit loosely,even my shoes dont fit. But best of all my blood sugars have stabelized to the point that I dont have to take my am and pm insulin shots.I am hoping eventually to stop the pills too. Love the menus and I do suppliment with the shakes and bars.My husband is amazed and happy to see this work . My health energy and energy have totally changed,even my skin. I love the different phases it gives me hope to maintain the new me when I reach my goal. I have reccomended this to my sisters as they all have weight issues too.Who needs knock off diets..stick with the real deal.Its a proven success. Sincerely, Deb
March 29, 2011 02:40 PM EST
Maria76 said:
I agree with you completely it's unstable and inconsistent. Sounds like it would appeal to people who like it ruff, but an average person would fail to follow it all the time, and then they would think their occasional lapses were the cause of their failure and not the diet. Not to mention how expensive it would be, ouch. I just started Atkins, I'm on my 6th day and I'm feeling awesome, I'm following it exactly with no problems I record absolutely everything I’m actually really enjoying it. Every recipe I've tried has been so good and I have been sleeping very well. I have been an insomniac since my teens and the first day of this I was tired by 7:30pm could barely keep my eyes open and went to be before my kids for the first time ever and slept like the dead, didn't even hear my phone ring :-) woke up exactly 6hrs later lol :-) I've moved my cup of coffee to about 4pm so I can make it to 10pm; I find 4am a good time to get up. Haven't had to use my alarm clock since I started, which is huge for me I'm usually always getting up late and always had to set my alarm early so I could snooze 6 times :-) Even if I don't lose weight on this (and I know I will) for that alone I could just hug you all :-) that just means so much to me it’s something I’ve wanted forever. I feel absolutely fantastic. Thank You So Much Maria
March 28, 2011 01:34 PM EST
kibejudy said:
In 1975 I was on the Atkins diet with no carbs at all for a year, and lost about 100 pounds. Then I found out I was pregnant, and my doctor insisted that I eat a well-balanced diet. I have struggled losing weight all these years. Now I have started on the New Atkins diet, because I love vegetables, and am hoping this will be the answer to my diet and health problems. After so many attempts at losing weight, it is difficult to get up the nerve and ambition to start over again. But this has given me new hope. I have lost 7 pounds in 6 days, and feel very satisfied. Carbs are my enemy, and I have been aware of that, but making the changes takes energy, confidence, and above all...courage. Success comes when we keep trying!
April 01, 2011 01:21 PM EST
mountainhigh said:
Dukan Diet is to extreme, and not MY REALITY..My reality, is getting the weight off, with some sense, and learning how to manage my life, with real life living....I tryed the Dukan Diet for 5 days, and stopped, not for me..
April 11, 2011 02:59 PM EST
liv2pra said:
I agree. I think that if anyone should start a lifestyle of eating right, that it should be something that has been put under the scope, if you know what I mean. The Atkins has done it's research and that makes me feel safe. After all, aren't we in this for the long run? I have been on the diet or should I say life style, for not quite a week, yet I feel so energized, and my blood sugar has come down even on the first day of this diet to the mid 100's I am still going strong with this. I need to lose around 150lb. But I feel great, even my concentration for school is way better then before. I am way over weight and I am a diabetic also. It's no longer about looking good, but survival. Thanks for the free information on you web sight, and all that goes with it. I tell everybody about your site. I can't wait to get back to my real self...I'm on my way!
April 15, 2011 07:21 AM EST
muffintop84 said:
I tried the dukan diet a couple of weeks ago. I was very upset to learn after the suffering of no variety all week i'd only lost 3.5lbs. GUTTED!!!!! I never lose less than 7lb on the first week of a diet, especially one where your suppose to lose so much. Its back to good old atkins for me now. This is my first week trying the new plan after doing really well on the old plan a few years ago
April 12, 2011 02:15 AM EST
LunaRaevn said:
I was 16 when I was first exposed to the Atkins Diet.(1983) My mother had started doing it and she put the whole family on this. Unfortunately, I don't believe she was following it quite right. She tends to read a few things and then goes gung-ho; an all or nothing attitude. Also, I was not familiar with the diet at all myself...just eating whatever was provided. So my idea of Atkins was a package of hot dogs and a carton of sour cream. Oh my. And all of that that I wanted.....um...ok. (It was easier to want it than you think- If you didn't like it you didn't get anything.) I don't recall how long this continued but eventually menu became some other diet attempt in the home and no more hot dogs and sour cream. I think it became some kind of oat bran muffin and the muffins just got bigger and more of them and then loaded with other goodies to keep them exciting.....and then on to another diet.....and then I got married and on with my own choice in eating. And yes, boy did I battle weight of my own. When it came to dieting now though the choices could be my own. No,I would never ever choose Atkins. No way could you convince me that hot dogs and sour cream (all of them that I could want) was ever going to be a healthy way to eat. Fast forward: Years and years of low-fat dieting did not save me from finally making the decision to have Gastric Bypass surgery in 2006. I lost more than half my body weight but I still did not come to know how my body works and how to prevent it from happening again. I thought now that I can't eat hardly anything I'll never get fat again. Wrong. After surgery the recommendation was to make sure I was getting in plenty of proteins. Absolutely essential! Doctor never mentioned cutting back on fats. In fact, the cut back was on breads and startchy and sugary foods. But get in those proteins and don't worry about fats...that's what it was. Did good. Felt good. Looked good. Until.... In about the 3rd year post-op I found I could finally stomach some bread.(Well sure I was going to nibble it at some.) I was amazed and tickled the first time I actually got half-sandwich or small bag of "healthy low-fat" crackers to go down. This led to something I had not experienced in the first 3 years.....feeling hungry....and so I ate more crackers....more sandwiches....then pastas.....then a cake here and there and by 4th yr. post-op I am now 30 pounds overweight even though I still can't stomach near the volume of foods I was consuming before surgery. So why the 50 pound gain!?! Why can't I get control. I feel awful, scared, and ashamed to become a "bad" statistic....I went through so much to get the weight off and have a life and I'm losing it now. No way was I going to choose Atkins to save me from this...this....whatever demon name you can give it. Dukan...heard it mentioned by a woman at the market looking for some specialty item that was low in fat. Low-fat being the habit diet of old my ears perked up and I decided to rush out and give it a try. Started reading it May 4th. Started the Phase one May 11. Kept reading the book and getting concerned that much of the advice being given sounded "lucky"....tried this on a few patients and it seemed to work and so I recommend it...kind of things. And not just a few examples like that but almost the whole program is like that. But, something niggled the brain about the body's way of utilizing proteins, carbs and fats. I needed to find out some proofs. I needed something more solid to stand on if I was really going to eat this way. So while still trying to follow Dukan I began researching low carb eating and the science for and against it. The more I researched it the less comfortable I became withe the Dukan approach. Atkins kept popping up. NO WAY, no way, no way. I bought a book by Dana Carpendar that in not too heavily scientific terms explains more than a dozen diets that utilize protein and and fats. Really helped me to understand what Atkins was meant to be, not what my mother had me thinking it was. So have now been on Atkins 3 days. I am much more confident in this plan because it is solidly based on scientific studies. I finally understand more fully the essential need for fat in a low-carb diet and will never again have to cut it out. I love understanding that I am carbohydrate intolerant and that I will learn what my personal threshold is and will be able to live within it for life. Not only that, I feel good. I'm feel satisfied. I am losing weight. And I'm not eating all the hot dogs and sour cream I could want. I'm eating real meat, (good, whole meats not processed cr@p.) I am enjoying vegetables everyday! I don't have to feel like a yo-yo or anticipate that yo-yoing is actually what I'm being "prescribed" to do. I have lost the scared feeling and am in control again. Duked it out and Atkins won! For Sure!!!
May 24, 2011 01:05 AM EST