<April 2013>
14151617181920

Constant Cravings? Atkins Can Help

A craving is defined as “an intense desire to consume a particular food (or type of food) that is difficult to resist.” Is this how you feel about carbs? The more you eat them, the more you crave them? Welcome to the carbohydrate rollercoaster; you are drawn to cookies, donuts, bread, pasta, chips and French fries, and once you soothe your craving, you’re hungry again after a couple hours. And, unfortunately, it’s the overconsumption of these carbs that raise and drop your blood sugar levels, and contribute to the extra pounds you are trying so hard to lose. As you’ve learned on Atkins, decreasing your carb intake offers a variety of benefits, including:

• Burning your built-up reserves of fat for fuel, instead of carbs
  • Eliminating spikes and slumps in your blood sugar
  • When you consume fewer carbs and replace that with fat and protein, as well as only enough whole food carbs that your metabolism can tolerate, you may be able to lose weight, and keep it off

New Science Behind Low-Carb Diets

There are countless real-life testimonials here at Atkins.com to support the benefits of consuming fewer carbs, and now there’s new science that backs this. A recent study in the journal of Obesity, called “Change in Food Cravings, Food Preferences, and Appetite During a Low-Carbohydrate and Low-Fat Diet”, randomly assigned 270 obese men and women to a low-carb or low-fat diet for two years. The low-carb group limited their carbs and ate foods higher in fat and protein. The low-fat group’s diet consisted of 15% of the calories from protein, 30% from fat and 55% from carbs. During this time, the researchers measured the participants’ cravings for specific types of foods (sweets, high-fat, fast food and carbs), preferences for high-sugar, high-carb foods or low-carb/high-protein foods and appetite levels. According to the researchers “Compared to the low-fat diet, the low-carb diet had significantly larger decreases in cravings for carbohydrates/starches and preferences for high-carbohydrate and high-sugar foods. The low carb diet group reported being less bothered by hunger compared to the low fat diet group.” Interestingly, the low-fat diet group also experienced fewer cravings for high-fat foods and a decreased preference for low-carb/high-protein foods. The bottom line? “Prescription of diets that promoted restriction of specific types of food resulted in decreased cravings and preferences for the foods that were targeted for restriction. The results also indicate that the low carb diet group was less bothered by hunger compared to the low fat diet group.”

What This Means To You

Initially, it sounds crazy to restrict the foods you crave the most. You would think you would end up craving them even more. But this study shows that the fewer carbs you consume (especially when you are consuming fat and protein in their place), the less you will eventually crave those carbs and the more you will be able to control your hunger. What this means to you is that, if you have challenges conquering your carb cravings or have a hard time just processing carbs in general, science once again shows that Atkins could be the best fit for you.

Share And Share Alike

I’d love to hear how Atkins has helped you conquer your carb cravings and what strategies you’ve been able to use to manage your hunger. Please share your thoughts with the Atkins Community and also let me know what you’d like to hear about in the future. Finally, to subscribe, just go to http://ow.ly/3GK2g.

Published Monday, April 25, 2011 10:14 AM by colette_heimowitz
Filed Under:
Comments
I like the strawberry/banana shakes as well. They are also a good source of fiber.
April 28, 2011 03:09 PM EST
Add a fiber supplement.Fiber will not interfere with your weight loss program and will keep things moving. Also make sure you are well hydrated. Dehydration can cause constipation. If you need further assistance add magnesium citrate.
April 28, 2011 03:07 PM EST
bri1978 said:
i am also in day 5 and have a ton of support but the cravings on my end are harsh. i eat, no sugar low carb cookies but they also riddle me with guilt when i eat one because i know i shouldnt. i dont know what to do. i am taking supliments i have friends that have lost 200 + pounds in a year but they fallowed religously im afriad with my cheating im getting know where and like i said before im still in the first week.
May 11, 2011 01:48 PM EST
terri8819 said:
I am in day 5 and still have a craving for sweets, even when I'm full. I did Atkins once before, and I don't remember the cravings ever going away. Probably why I didn't stick with it well. Two things that have helped this time are my "focus string", and atkins bars. The focus string is my waist size. I keep it with me always to stay motivated. When I see it or feel it in my pocket, it reminds me why it's worth it. The bars I sometimes split, 1/2 after lunch, 1/2 in the evening with hot tea. This gives me a sweet fix when I'm craving it the most, and leaves room for another bar or shake if it's a busy day and I need it to fill a gap.
April 29, 2011 01:24 PM EST
missycapecod said:
i also agree there is a physical addiction to carbs as well as mental. I also have allergy to wheat but still would subcomb to a slice of low carb bread. It has to be out of sight for me.
May 19, 2011 07:34 AM EST
ConnieWarner said:
I've been doing low carb for over 10 years with weight loss of about 70 lbs. For most of that time, I have fought, and given in to, cravings. A few times I have added carbs back into my diet only to increase my cravings and my weight. It's been difficult! I had mistakenly thought that if I combined low carb AND low fat that I would enjoy more success and better health. But after reading Gary Taubes' book, "Why We Get Fat", I have realized that fat is GOOD and helps you keep the weight off and most importantly, helps fight cravings!!! I've been back on the Induction Phase for over a week now and feel better, have no cravings, feel full and satisfied. And it's all because I've increased my fat intake - fat with meat & poultry, skin on poultry, avocado, butter and olive oil! It's amazing how much easier it is without the cravings for carbs!!! And I had a serious problem with carbs - couldn't have just one piece of fruit or just one plain Greek yogurt or just one piece of dessert. I can't tell you how much better I feel now. Fat is the trick! Now I'm trying to tell others, but nobody wants to hear that eating fat is healthy and the way to lose weight along with low carb - they don't want to believe it! The other thing is that I have eliminated all sweeteners and sugar substitutes. I have found that for me, that has helped reduce my cravings. And I have certain trigger foods that I know I have a hard time with - anything with sugar, including fruit and anything with dairy - such as cheese and plain yogurt. So by eliminating my trigger foods, sugar substitutes and adding fat to my diet, I have eliminated my cravings! :-)
April 27, 2011 01:42 PM EST
xxterriexx said:
I was on the Induction about 11 years ago and was losing 5lbs a week. No carbs hardly at all and worked in a factory. I felt good. My daughter was getting married so I decided to stop eating healthy and ate cake potatoe salad and beer. That did me in and pretty soon I was gaining all the weight back, like 60lbs. I just couldn't get back on the Induction Phase. I quit smoking 3 years ago and now my body is 48% fat. I knew this was going to happen but I didnt care; I wanted to quit smoking for good. Today I saw a picture of me and I look horrible. A big fat blob. I started the Induction Phase yesterday. Cravings are usually bad for me until after the first week. I too like the chocolate, soft serve ice cream, chips, breads but they are poison to my body. I've never been this big before.
June 02, 2011 03:46 PM EST
honyb50 said:
Celery is good for cravings and I also munch on pumpkin seeds-not only crunchy, it's a good source of fiber. I'm back on Atkins after gaining 100 lbs when I quit smoking. Don't know how much I've lost so far, but today i could bend over and pick up a fork I dropped without squatting.
May 05, 2011 08:00 PM EST
cafuller said:
Why is there not a listing of the lowcarb pastas on the allowable foods?
May 10, 2011 08:00 PM EST
o2byoung said:
I was successful on a LC diet after the birth of my son. I stuck with it for almost 2 years. I would eat LC all week and have one cheat day,(this only started when I had gotten down to my goal weight).I would gain a pound or 2 then lose them within a couple days. I got pregnant with my Daughter and have attempted LC a couple of times with no luck. I had noticed after having my daughter I had no tolerance for any type of medicines, or my IUD. Had it removed and I'm starting LC again.....Finger's Crossed!!!!
May 04, 2011 01:55 PM EST
Ka100149 said:
I find I am craving every day. I have two good days and the third day I have something I should'nt. The atkins bars help but I find I'm eating more than one. Sometimes that leads to something else. After excersice in the morning I find I am starving. I have some protein to get through to breakfast. I love the Atkins program but I find if I do bad than I feel I have to start on Induction to get rid of the cravings. But that does'nt alway help. I'm board at work some days and all I think about is eating something. I might have some all natural peanut butter, but that is just giving in. I am frustrated and can't seem to get control. But I will not give up.
May 04, 2011 05:18 AM EST
rayna324 said:
Try eating more fat like Connie suggested earlier. And Liz said the same thing plus try fighting sugar cravings with the opposite, salty, sour or spicy. She also said the longer you can resist the sweet cravings the less you will have them. Fat will help keep you full longer. I have the same problem and I have done Atkins a few times before and ended up going off it after a couple of months. I'm just starting back and I hope this time I can stick with it because I know it works and I really need to do this for my health and many other reasons. I know if I cheat I will end up reverting back to my old habits and I don't want to do that anymore. The first few weeks seem to be the hardest but the longer you can stick with it the easier it becomes. Good luck and hang in there!
May 17, 2011 02:59 AM EST
Micho said:
I am on day 2 today and i am craving carbs like a addict craving heroin (so i feel)!!!! i did atkins in 2004...lost 50 pounds in 3 months so i know that this cravings could last for up to 6 weeks...its the carb withdrawel talking!!! What used to help is to push up fat content. Ex in am eat eggs cooked in lots of butter with cheese. For a snack eat some chicken wings with the skin on. Every food serving has to have a good dose of fat. After a while you wont feel cravings. Also keep a food diary. Certain foods are trigger food...makes you crave. We have to all take it day by day....like recovering addicts! Good luck to all. ps i work in saudi arabia and here is no atkins products to help me...to satisfy my sweet craving i just eat sugar free jello with cream and some crushed nuts on the top with some sweetner. I remember the wonderful feeling of being thin and that helps me to carry on with the program!
May 08, 2011 07:47 AM EST
Micho said:
sorry i forgot to add the importance of WATER!! I drink 3 litres of water a day...if you get a craving drink a glass of water...if you have cravings all day...at least you drink all your water LOL
May 08, 2011 07:48 AM EST
ctsoprano said:
Collette, I was reading your blog on protein, and it tells you how much to have at each meal, but not at each snack. I keep reading info on having TOO MUCH PROTEIN. Do I really have to worry about too much protein when counting net carbs (and watching my overall calories in/out)? Can eating too much protein make you crave/eat more? I have the 4-6 oz. of protein at each meal, and often I have 2-4 oz. of protein for my snacks. Is that inappropriate in terms of percentages of nutrients for Atkins? I'm tracking my foods on fitday.com and I'm having a LOT of protein and fat--and it's more fat (50%) than protein (42%). My net carbs are good--I'll be at 15.5 for today... Do you have any suggestions for me? Thanks, Karen
May 11, 2011 09:50 AM EST
carabelding said:
I agree with Sarah, I do feel some cravings are more of an addiction, be it emotional or mental. I'm very frustrated with this aspect. I had great success on the Atkins diet when I was 30, now that I am in my 40's I'm finding the cravings are so hard to overcome.
April 25, 2011 08:57 PM EST
mabels said:
I know bread is my weakness!!! Someone told me that carbs feed your brain so I use that as an excuse when I'm studying to eat some muffins, and then I fall in to the carb rolecoaster!! And get off track, and here I am, gained 7 out of the 20 pounds that I had lost.
April 25, 2011 09:33 PM EST
WendyWanders said:
Hmmmm...I DID like carbs, but once I switched to LC eating, I have not gone back. I began the LC way of life in March 2010. I weighed 467. My blood sugar was 478. My a1c was 7.9. My triglycerides were 86. So far I have lost over 150 pounds, my blood sugar is most often in the 80's, my a1c is 5.5 and triglycerides are down to 49 :-) I had no desire to "cheat". I considered my new way of eating to be life or death. The only time I have gone off the path was my wedding night. I ate a bit of the cake...NOT because I wanted any, but because someone was thoughtful enough to provide it and folks wanted the traditional cake eating pic of my new hubby and I. I thought it tasted GROSS!!!!! I have considered grains and sugars as poisons and do not miss them. I got this fat from years of prednisone, several autoimmune diseases and 3 strokes. I never want to go back! I am very, very grateful that I do not crave carbs. I am happy eating LC :-)
April 25, 2011 10:49 PM EST
medtec2282 said:
I dunno. When I did atkins the last time, I did awesome. This time however, I cannot stop night eating! I wake up at all hours of the night, finding myself eating foods, usually peanut butter on a bananna, or small snack bag of assorted frit o lay items. Uggggg I feel like a fat cow, Im bloated, I feel sick to stomach etc. So, I started a 14 day cleanse and detox. I have now decided to eat a serving of oatmeal in the AM, yesssssss carbs, however,,. I have found that the last 2 mornings at work, since the oatmeal I do not go raiding the fridge at work by 8am looking for 'something'..........im so MAD at myself!
May 21, 2011 08:16 PM EST
lisa2bethin said:
Walmart also has low carb tortillas and they are great. On enchillada night at my house I make my portion of enchilladas with the low carb shells, meat, cheese and onions and they are delicious! even better the next day for work.I am not a big fan of sour cream but I up the portion of avocado.
May 14, 2011 01:32 AM EST
MareBare said:
The Low Carb Tortilla Wraps that I found were Ole Mexican Foods and I got them at Kroger. No cholesterol, 12 g fiber, 5 g carbs, 8 g protein, no sugar or lard. Now my question is: If they have 5 g of carbs, and 12 g of fiber and you are figuring "net carbs" by subtracting the fiber from the carbs, does that make the tortilla's a free food to a point? I've been eating two in the morning and making like a breakfast taco with eggs, bacon, cheese, lettuce and olives.
April 28, 2011 08:38 AM EST
MareBare said:
Colette: The Low Carb Tortilla Wraps that I found were Ole Mexican Foods and I got them at Kroger. No cholesterol, 12 g fiber, 5 g carbs, 8 g protein, no sugar or lard. Now my question is: If they have 5 g of carbs, and 12 g of fiber and you are figuring "net carbs" by subtracting the fiber from the carbs, does that make the tortilla's a free food to a point?
April 29, 2011 06:48 AM EST
Stealth_AKA_Liz53 said:
I agree that carbs are addictive and I think that it is just as much a physical addiction as emotional/mental. If you can just kick the physical side of it, and there's nothing better than Atkins for that, the emotional/mental part improves as well. But it takes time. My best tips are 1) keep your fat content up, so hunger never gets too intense, and 2) fight a craving for sweet with its opposite: salty, sour or spicy. The longer you go, without giving in to sweet foods, the easier it becomes.
April 26, 2011 03:28 PM EST
shalisha42 said:
Wow. This is an AMAZING post. I thought I was the only one. I've been struggling with Atkins since Sept 2010 simply because I give in to the sugar cravings. I keep thinking I can use "substitutes" and in the end, I'm just a sugar and carb addict. I cannot just have one or substitute. I've gained back any weight I've lost and am 212 pounds! I'm in the solution though - eat the foods I love, eat enough fat, drink lots and lots of water and stay away from all "low carb" imitation foods, sweeteners, stevia, etc. as they all kick up my cravings.
May 11, 2011 01:25 PM EST
ladyannmarie said:
I'M AN OLDER PERSON AND A CARB AND SUGAR ADDICT. WHEN I STARTED YESTERDAY I KNEW IT'S NO JOKE FOR ME. I BUY CANS OF CHICKEN SALMAN, AND TUNA. FOR BREAKFAST IT'S A CAN OF ONE OF THOSE WITH AN EGG, SAME FOR LUNCH AND DINER I ADD A SLICE OF TURKEY BREAST. I KNOW IT'S BORING BUT IN TWO DAYS I'VE LOST 5 LBS. I EAT NO CARBS FOR THE FIRST TWO WEEKS. MY PAIN LEVEL IS DOWN I HAVE ENERGY I HAVENT SEEN IN 3 YEARS SINCE I WAS LAST ON IT.I MAY TRY THE COCONUT OIL BUT NOW I USE MAYONAISE AND MUSTARD. LAST TIME I STAYED IN FIRST PHASE FOR 7 MONTHS AND LOST 50 LBS. IT'S WORTH SUFFERING FOR A LITTLE WHILE TO RECIEVE A GREAT HEALTHY BODY. I WASN'T EVEN EXERCISING MUCH. I NEVER CHEATED AND WAS NEVER HUNGRY. IF YOU FIND YOU'R NOT LOSING IT MIGHT BE A GOOD IDEA TO LOSE THE CARBS. I AM USUALLY BEDRIDDEN UNLESS I DO NO CARBS. I TAKE TWO FISH OILS AM AND PM FLAXSEED OIL ALSO. MULTIVITE. GRINK DIET GREENTEA AND SODA. I HOPE THIS HELPS. NO CHEATING AFTER 3 DAYS YOUR HUNGER GOIES AND ENERGY REPLACES. GOOD LUCK
June 26, 2011 04:05 AM EST
pitch.c said:
My problem isn't carbs in general. I have been on low carb diet for quite a few years. My only craving is chocolate, and I find if I allow myself to have a few chocolate chips daily, I don't eat so much of other 'bad for me foods'. I have found a source of really good sugar-free chocolate, but it is very expensive. My metabolism is also slow, (been on thyroid therapy for more than 25 years) and I'm sure that is part of the reason it is so difficult for me to lose weight. I know I have to be satisfied with slower weight loss so I try to be patient. I went to induction yesterday, but found I didn't get the right amt of carbs from those foundation veggies. I have 2 questions ... (1) a STALK of celery??? That is what you buy in the grocery store and it is comprised of many 'ribs'. Do you mean a rib of celery has .8 grams of carbs? I will try to eat a stalk if you like, but I want to be sure. (2) I don't see any nuts on the induction diet but several of the Atkins bars that have nuts are good for all stages. Did I miss something?
May 24, 2011 09:42 AM EST
evettemendisabal said:
I was eating these regularly, then I re-checked the label and found they had been labelled wrong. They are NOT zero net carbs, they are 5grms net carbs. The company labelled the total carbs with the NET carbs, so all us low carb eaters were lead astray. I'm SO disappointed, I thought I was on to such a great thing.
June 17, 2011 11:19 AM EST
danni198711 said:
I keep falling off the LC wagon. I have a 1 year old son and I give him things like dry ceral and fruit in the morning. I love cereal bread pasta CHOCOLATE and suce. It is very hard to keep at this. At the rate I'm going I'll never get out of induction.
May 21, 2011 11:26 PM EST
freshscent said:
i have been on atkins for about 6 months,i have only lost 10 lbs and no more.of course i cheated a few times but always go back the next day i am an older person and i know its harder to lose, i walk about 2 miles a day. my thing is i am always hungry, and tired of cauliflower and cabbage (brussel sprouts etc.) for a side dish.why can't i lose more i just stopped losing ?
May 17, 2011 02:14 PM EST
Dallen100 said:
Dallen100 May 23, 2011 Colette: Marebare The Low Carb Tortilla Wraps that I found were Ole Mexican Foods and I got them at Kroger. No cholesterol, 12 g fiber, 5 g carbs, 8 g protein, no sugar or lard. Now my question is: If they have 5 g of carbs, and 12 g of fiber and you are figuring "net carbs" by subtracting the fiber from the carbs, does that make the tortilla's a free food to a point? Did anyone answer your question? The answer is NO. The package says 5 net carbs, but check the label and look at the TOTAL carb count. I have a package from ole Mexican foods called La Banderita (bought from Kroger) and the total carb count is 11 grams. They have 6 grams of fiber. Six from 11 is 5 grams of net carbs that need to be counted. :-)
May 23, 2011 08:57 AM EST
Dallen100 said:
Colette: Marebare *The Low Carb Tortilla Wraps that I found were Ole Mexican Foods and I got them at Kroger. No cholesterol, 12 g fiber, 5 g carbs, 8 g protein, no sugar or lard. Now my question is: If they have 5 g of carbs, and 12 g of fiber and you are figuring "net carbs" by subtracting the fiber from the carbs, does that make the tortilla's a free food to a point?* Did anyone answer your question? The answer is NO. The package says 5 net carbs, but check the label and look at the TOTAL carb count. I have a package from ole Mexican foods called La Banderita (bought from Kroger) and the total carb count is 11 grams. They have 6 grams of fiber. Six from 11 is 5 grams of net carbs that need to be counted. :-)
May 23, 2011 08:51 AM EST
Thin_nu_me said:
hi, I love my carbs!!! but i refuse to give in to them - I do have the low carb tortillas which are great. Also for my carving of something crunchy I eat pork skins - they are no carbs at all so you can eat a whole bag. they also come in plain , hot & barbecue which gives you alternatives in flavor.
May 23, 2011 12:50 PM EST
drivinghorse said:
I started (back) on Atkins this past Jan. and I was loosing but didn't really start shedding the pounds until I started exersizing (swimming) a few days a week. You've got to do some aerobic exersize to make it work,
May 14, 2011 07:43 AM EST
pjebarnett said:
Getting off sugar and carbs is a great thing for my body, and getting rid of the cravings is wonderful, but it is still disappointing to only lose one pound a month.
April 25, 2011 09:02 PM EST
toni0825 said:
I lost 70 lbs back in 1999 and of course I gained it back. I am now doing it again. I am almost thru , only two days left and I will be thru induction. There is a old book that Dr. Adkins wrote back then which had some good tips in it for stopping the cravings. When I had gotten cravings real bad, I increased my fat, like I ate cream cheese and celery, I ate cream garden veg. cream cheese with pork rinds. The cream cheese help me with the cravings. Also, I bought the vitamin L-gluamine and took one half-hour before lunch and dinner and the cravings went away. The vitamin was also in the old Adkin book I had. Hope this helps.
May 24, 2011 10:22 PM EST
Patricia0909 said:
Oh Sarah! I sympathize. When HFCS became the industry sweetener for soft drinks I gave them up for unsweetened iced tea. But whenever I drank a soft drink I always felt as though my mouth was coated with something sticky (so that I'd need more than one to keep the feeling away). Family get- togethers were horrible - canned soft drinks all over the place, but no plain iced tea or water. I finally started bringing my own. Getting over those cravings for simple carbs is SO hard. I've read some research that says those carbs hit our brains' pleasure center the way some drugs do... For me it is so much easier to just keep them out of my life. I DO have some low carb lavash bread, and low carb tortillas in the house. BUT I buried them in the back of the freezer, so not only do I have to dig for them, I have to wait for them to defrost. And by the time they've defrosted sufficiently I've drunk some water or tea and moved on. (No matter what, a frozen tortilla will NEVER taste as good as a frozen Thin Mint or Samoa cookie)
April 25, 2011 08:16 PM EST
jami_anne said:
That's funny that someone said carbs feed your brain because for me (I can only speak for myself ;-) ) carbs make it hard for me to concentrate on my schoolwork! If I have a test to study for, I always eat protein and it helps me focus and keeps me from dozing off while reading textbooks!
May 02, 2011 02:45 PM EST
jami_anne said:
I COMPLETELY agree with you! Carbs can be an addiction for some people! I honestly feel the same way I did as when I quit smoking 11 years ago! The physical sensation is the same and the mental desperation. I have to continually tell myself that this feeling will pass and that I'm addicted to them just like I was addicted to smoking. I say to myself that just because other people can eat bread and pasta and sweets doesn't mean I can. I'm an addict and I can't have those things. My body doesn't process them properly and they are poison to my system. It helps me.
May 02, 2011 02:50 PM EST
rwood42 said:
I am having a hard time getting through 3 days of induction, mainly because I can't seem to be able to overcome stress eating which hapens every day almost. The stress is in the form of anxiety and that is the time that I have overwhelming to eat high carb foods. any suggestions?
June 15, 2011 10:41 AM EST
TexasLiz777 said:
There is a chart on page 42 of the new Atkins book that lists protein intakes. My 5'6" body is to have 16 ounces of protein a day in total. You might want to check that chart. Blessings, Elizabeth
May 14, 2011 08:55 PM EST
TexasLiz777 said:
Almost any restaurant has a large salad with grilled chicken breast on top. Use oil and vinegar dressing and enjoy being with your friends.
May 14, 2011 08:57 PM EST
ccrash3 said:
Is there lactose in the Atkins shakes?
May 03, 2011 09:41 PM EST
callieanne said:
I had a bit of an advantage going into the Atkins WOE; two years ago I found out my body doesn't tolerate gluten and I had to give it up. I mourned that initial loss of carbs pretty hard but I knew I felt so much better without them. In time I found many gluten free alternatives to my old favorites and I wound up addicted again, this time to gluten free pastas, breads, cookies and chips. Going low carb was easier for me because I knew that I could give up the things I craved and feel healthier as a result. I have now found great low-carb alternatives to my old favorites, shredded zucchini with marinara sauce and parmesan cheese is a great sub for pasta and MIM's save my life about once a week. I still have the occasional craving for my greatest carb weakness: Ruffles Cheddar and Sour Cream chips! I have to give them a wide berth at the store! What is helping me steer clear is seeing the positive changes in my body and carrying with me all I have learned about the negative effects of empty carbs. I would be letting myself down if I cheated and I would be canceling out all the hard work I have done to get to this point. I also find that if I eat my 12-15 Veg NC's every day and get my recommended ratio of fat, protein and overall calories, I am stuffed! Forget hungry, I wouldn't have room for chips even if I got my hands on some!
April 26, 2011 12:56 PM EST
cheryl713 said:
Hello Wendy, I really know what you are talking about with the prednisone...I have a few autoimmune diseases also and have had to take prednisone everyday for the past 12 years and even some IV steroids when things are really bad..the weight issue has been horrible..I never had a weight problem till the prednisone, I was gaining 20lbs a month when they first put me on them..wonderful drug with horrible side effects. I just wanted to ask you, when you were doing the induction part of atkins did you get a dizziness feeling? I have been a little worried about it, didn't know if I am supposed to feel that way or not. Thanks so much.
May 04, 2011 08:05 PM EST
sarahmcnally27 said:
I am craving carbs more than the first 2 weeks of induction. I bought some low carb tortillas. I am truly an addict. I ate all 10 over the course of 2 days! I couldn't eat just one oh no! I felt just like a junkie...I was thinking of ways to eat tortillas. 1 would have been fine with my taco meat, lettuce, tomatoes, cheese and sour cream - all measured out very carefully so I wouldn't exceed that meal's carb allowance. The tortillas called to me to eat them with butter (I can have that)no sugar added peanut butter (I can have 2T)...and on and on. I have actually gained back 2 of the 13 pounds I lost in the Induction Phase. I'm disappointed, but I'm still craving carbs. I had leftover steak for lunch which was delicious, but I still wanted bread and some tootsie rolls that someone brought in. I refrained, but...I don't think the craving will ever stop. I am thinking that simple carbohydrates, i.e. refined flours and sugars are truly an addiction. I think that I will always be a recovering addict. What does help me is how quickly I lost weight those first 2 weeks, lack of knee pain when I walk and when I see the amount of carbohydrates in so many foods... that is what keeps me going. I understand what the "studies" report, but if this is an addiction then there is a HUGE part of the addiction that is mental and I think that is where the key may lie. Conquering the mental portion of empty carb addiction.
April 25, 2011 05:55 PM EST
sarahmcnally27 said:
Oh I do not do HFCS no matter what those commercials say that it's the same as regular sugar. Yes a carb is a carb, but... So there was Splenda. Then I read about the "excito toxins" that affect brain chemistry associated with Splenda/sucralose. I was thrilled to find the stevia blends, but the erythytol (sp) has carbs-3 gr. per packet! YIKES! I was thrilled to see Sobe Life Water, but 15 grams of carbs per bottle? YIKES again! So...I'm back to using Splenda. I do like the taste of sweet. I quit drinking diet colas because of the caffeine and phosphorus which both leech calcium from the bones...not good for women. You are right Patricia, a frozen tortilla can't beat the taste of a frozen thin mint...I ate a whole box the week before I started Atkins. I went off carbs 6 years ago and lost about 35 pounds. I was within 30 pounds of my goal. Once I had refined sugars it was like a spike in a junkie's vein...I was hooked - again. I went up to 205 and am now 194. I have gained 2 pounds since I finished Induction. I am looking to see where I'm making mistakes. Of course you get all bummed because you did so well and you don't want to let it set you back. Just because you fall off doesn't mean you can't get right back on the proverbial horse again. We're all in this together, so to speak. One Day At A Time!
April 26, 2011 07:34 PM EST
sarahmcnally27 said:
Mission Tortillas have 5 net carbs Renee. They are that flour-y tasting tortilla. If I buy them again, hopefully I'll not binge. (fingers crossed)
April 29, 2011 11:59 AM EST
sarahmcnally27 said:
After I had my tortilla binge I too got right back on the horse and as of this morning lost an additional 3 lbs. So 15 pounds and counting. When I follow the plan to the letter I do fine. After induction I went on the meal planner and I print out my weeks meals and prepare my shopping list. The only thing to watch out for on those recipes is sometimes the number of servings are 8, 4 or 6. I live alone so I am always having to cut everything in less than half. I am spending endless amounts of time in the kitchen, but I do love to cook, and this is helping my budget. It's amazing that eating out not only keeps your weight up but is a budget buster. On Top Chef Masters this past Wednesday the chefs had to prepare low cal versions of the Biggest Loser contestants favorite recipes. Most chefs really don't know how to do that. I have turned my boss onto Atkins...at least getting the free kit. I don't know if he's really started on the plan. It does take discipline.
April 29, 2011 12:06 PM EST
1marriage said:
i have had the same constipation issue. i definately make sure i drink my water. also, make sure you are eating a variety of foods, especially a variety of vegies. its easy to get stuck on the same foods....but that can make you bored, then you cheat. eating variety will help prevent cheating, and helps with the constipation. gotta move around some. i park further down the parking lot. check out the backyard. different things, even small things help.
May 27, 2011 09:35 PM EST
1marriage said:
i use Mission low carb tortillas from Walmart. 7 Net Carbs, 0 sugars
May 27, 2011 09:37 PM EST
susiqu said:
I am also a bread addict - with teeth impression butter spread on! alos i was ok with no cravings the first 2 weeks then the craving started. I gave in at Easter with hot fruit buns and then found the desire to eat bread came back. I had some bread the other night and then I was satisfied. Maybe that will work for me - have a bit of bread but control it. I think the difference with this diet is that I am am not as hungry ALL the time. The Atkins bars also help. So being able to stop a craving food is easier.
April 28, 2011 07:13 PM EST
renee_21 said:
I would like to know what the name of the low carb torilla are my boyfriend has lost about 21 pounds so far...so if you could please let me know the name i would greatlt appreciate it
April 27, 2011 06:04 PM EST
mav5189 said:
I could not believe after a few days on Atkins I had no cravings...truthfully I couldn't believe it. I had some cheesecake out to dinner this week and figured the cravings would come back..I guess if you cheat and then get right back on the diet it doesn't happen. I am still on Induction and as I read these blogs I am worried what is going to happen when I go to OWL. I went on Atkins several years ago and my biggest problem is severe constipation and sure enough it happened again. I am actually taking pills to keep things moving and I'm not too happy about that...any suggestions?
April 28, 2011 11:02 AM EST
shirleybeth said:
I am getting crankie with the loss of Carb's. I have cheated 3 times in induction. but I have not gained the weight back that I lost. Ihave lost 5 pounds in 9 days. I know it should be more. So I will just have to buckle up and do better. I feel better just having 5 pounds off me.
April 27, 2011 06:55 PM EST
KMM1 said:
I have just started on this diet. I am amazed at the reaction that I get from people. It is discouraging. But I'm going to stick with it. I do like the choices of the food you can eat. I really did miss not eating beef on weight watchers. Thanks for everyones good insite on the low carb diet.
May 08, 2011 09:45 AM EST
lorrywells said:
I am just starting induction and am really craving anything, passed McDonalds and wanted fries, passed Target and wanted popcorn, I feel hungry in a way, but I think it is just that I want to eat junk food. How long does it take to not feel this way? To not crave the sweets and stuff? Does anyone have a blog or a day to day from the begining where I can see how the cravings die down???
April 27, 2011 06:23 PM EST
IRISO said:
Today is my first day...... the day is not over yet and I'm craving chocolate and carbs!!!!! :/
April 27, 2011 07:12 PM EST
Sweetbabygurl100 said:
i started this diet 5 days ago and so far i have lost 6 pounds. i love the fact that i lost weight so quickly but its so difficult. i like drinking wine once in a while and i cant have it. also if i go out with my friends to restaurant its hard to choose foods from menus, specially when its a restaurant with food i have never tried before. also i have never been a breakfast person before eating so early makes me really nauseous. every time i eat breakfast is torture i gag and have to force it down.
May 13, 2011 12:45 PM EST
jjsrhang said:
Thank u. I am on day 2 and feel the same way. I don't even think I'm hungry, but every time I walk in the kitchen I want to shove something in my mouth.
April 30, 2011 12:56 PM EST
Jillisa said:
April 29, 2011 03:28 PM EST
Amylast said:
I am on day 5 and i find my self dreaming about cookies...i haven't cheated but the cravings are very intense for me. I've found will power in my self that i never thought i had but every day is a struggle staying away from sugar and soda!
May 05, 2011 02:23 PM EST
PamLacey said:
I have read everyone`s comments as i am about to begin the Atkins plan. I must say that the thought of craving food is abit worrying. As i comfort eat so it`s not that i am hungry i just eat for the sake of eating therefore i am not sure i will be able to adhere to the plan if i have cravings. Does anyone have suggestions of how to manage these feelings?
May 04, 2011 09:01 AM EST
kara4sure said:
Your metabolism is starting to burn the stored fat by the 3rd day. the brain send the signal to eat the starch and sweets to keep the stored stored.
May 10, 2011 11:16 AM EST
swallszee said:
Today is my first day and after reading the comments I'm a little discouraged. I know there is not a quick fix but I'm hoping, since I am a sugar eating junkie (lol) that the Atkins diet will help me control this. Nothing good comes easy and I know that this weight loss endeavor is going to be hard. I really want to lose the weight so do I reach for the chocolate bar or do I grab a piece of celery. Lord give me strength!
May 13, 2011 08:41 AM EST
moebetta said:
I find i do good for a while then i find myself craving anything sweet salty. In between meals is hard for me. But I find if i dont eat a snack i over eat when its time to eat a meal. I find it is work every day and a constant way of thinking. Which I find draining after awhile. maybe thats just me being lazy.But I will keep trying.
May 14, 2011 05:57 PM EST
metheny4 said:
SO agree! This is day 2 and I find my self wanting things I REALLY shoiuldn't eat. :) I think my biggest fight is that my husdand has a very high metrate...so in my fridge lays Reese cups, Mtn. Dew, and much more junk. It is so hard to not want this things. He support me, and is my biggest cheerleader...Just hoping I can make it a full 2 weeks!!
May 22, 2011 04:44 PM EST
hudsonsbubbie said:
I had a sleeve gastrectomy in September of 2010-I have lost about 80 lbs, but I need to lose so much more-Now that I am able to eat whatever I want, I find myself drifting toward carbs-I began Adkins on Monday- I am going nuts trying to eliminate carbs-I had to go off peanut butter because I was eating it instead of healthy protein-I have no caffine, no soda. I drink water and caffine free iced tea- Any advice would be appreciated-Oh yes, I'm having a difficult time with meats of any kind- My Hubs had the same surgery and has lost 105lbs-in 5 months-;(
May 17, 2011 11:00 PM EST
Angielala said:
I am not really a breakfast person, either so I just have an Atkins shake blended with ice and a tbs of natural peanut butter...and some ground flaxseed....is this ok?
May 28, 2011 10:16 PM EST
lisareese said:
This is day one for me. I am so curious about what the average weight loss is in the first 2 weeks on the induction diet. Can anyone share thier experience with me? I am 5'3 200 lbs. I would really appreciate it.
May 23, 2011 12:34 AM EST
penndelgirl said:
Lorrywells, I am on day 2 of induction, and today was easier than yesterday. My daughter, who is doing the Atkins way of life, told me to eat some olives. It did the trick for me. Now, I keep some at work, especially, when other workers are eating cakes, donuts and candies.I really miss bread and fat free milk. I am looking foreward to my 2tbs of peanut butter, when I can have that. Let's all hang in there and give support and advice when we can. Good Luck everyone.
May 24, 2011 06:16 PM EST
kathiandlane said:
I too am having a hard time getting past day 3. Done it about 4 times now...I cannot believe how strong the cravings for crunchy & salty things are. It must be true that it is an addiction! Everything to eat is mushy. I SO WANT to do this diet, but can't get past the mush factor. Also, I am allergic to eggs, gluten & dairy, so that is presenting a challenge - what to have for breakfast - can't have the shakes or bars. Do any of you have suggestions for breakfast, besides dinner??? :) Thank you!
June 27, 2011 04:12 PM EST
kathiandlane said:
Can you have the shakes or bars? My husband thinks these really save him.
June 27, 2011 04:14 PM EST
kathiandlane said:
I too wonder about diet pop. Most of them are aspartame or splenda - both fake & bad for you right??? I admit though that a diet pop really helps me when I am starving or craving something/anything.
June 27, 2011 04:15 PM EST
crunyun said:
Just started Induction, too.June 1st @ 168 lbs. I am a Diet Mountain Dew-aholic. I looked on the label "No Carbs, No Calories" But I don't know HOW it is sweetened. Can anybody tell me if this is OK? I am trying to stick to the 12-15 carbs/day, but it is tough. I'm bored w/salads, eggs, etc. already. I ordered some of the Atkins bars, but they haven arrived and are a little expensive. But I can do anything for 2 weeks! My sister did the old Atkins a few years ago & lost a ton of weight, but of course gained it all back.I guess moderation is the key. Best of luck to us all!!
June 05, 2011 12:14 PM EST
ninarey said:
Can anyone tell me if the miracle noodles (shirataki) are ok to use on induction?
June 02, 2011 04:12 AM EST
annkim said:
hard boiled egg net carbs?
March 12, 2012 11:38 AM EST
avonsgb628 said:
I am glad that I started this diet because, I needed to lose weight to help me stay healthy. Since I have started, I am losing weight and I am becoming healthier. It was rough at first because I am a pasta eating woman. My menu for dinner for the week was Monday- Meatloaf with vegetables, Tuesday- Pork Steak with mashed potatoes and a vegetable, Wednesday-Spaghetti with a vegetable or a salad, Thursday- Fried Chicken with vegetables and rice, Friday- Fried Fish with french fries and broccoli with cheese, Saturday-Chilli with homemade buttermilk cornbread, Sunday- Pot roast with carrots potatoes and onions and collard greens. I usually pig out until I get full and drink lots of Hawaiian Punch fruit punch. About a month ago, I decide to stop eating all this food and relax my body for a while. Unbeknownest to me, I went from 230 down to 220 in two weeks. Then I seen the commercial for Atkins with Sharon Osbourne and decided to try it. I have been on this diet for allmost three weeks and I have lost 3 pounds. This is the reason that I am sticking to it. Now if I can get my walking in or exercise in for my days, I will reach my goal. When I find myself craving foods like my pasta, I get on the computer and play my puzzle games and it takes my mind off it. I am so glad that I joined Atkins!
March 05, 2013 04:26 PM EST
JAGV said:
THIS IS JAGV; I AM A TYPE 1 DIABETIC ON AN INSULIN PUMP. I'VE BEEN DOING ATKINS FOR 2 DAYS. I WAS DIGANOSED LATE N LIFE. I'VE BEEN DOING ATKINS FOR 3 DAYS AND MY INSULIN IS DROPPING BY LEAPS AND BOUNDS. I FEEL MUCH BETTER BUT I'M WORRIED ABOIUT GETTING TO LOW. COLETTEE DO I NEED TO MAINTAIN A CERTAIN AMOUNT OF CARBS. OR CAN I LET IT GO AND SEE WHERE IT ENDS UP ON ITS OWN? I WOULD SO LOVE TO GET OFF THIS PUMP. MY DOC. SAYS THAT "ITS GOING TO BE A PART OF MY LIFE FOREVER. I DID ATKINS 30 YEARS AGO BEFOR INSULIN AND DID WELL. BUT SENCE CANCER AND CHEMO IT FINISHED OFF MY PANCRESE. CAN YOU HELP ME TO DETERMINE HOW FAR I GO ON CARB INTAKE.THANK YOU
February 05, 2014 10:13 PM EST
mar_ben1 said:
I much enjoy reading everyone's comments. I am diabetic and started the low-carb food program a little over 3 weeks ago. My blood sugar is dropping nicely but I'm not losing as fast as I hoped. At 61 years of age, I am metabolically resistant after so many years of yo-yo dieting. I also take thyroid and don't like to exercise much so I've started with some mild swimming, gentle walking, and lifting a few weights. Nevertheless, I am following the program pretty closely except for enjoying a few more nuts and Atkins bars than is ideal. Even after several weeks I still have cravings for sweets, but I have found that the Atkins products are lifesavers for me and help me to resist a full-sugar temptation. I just count more net carbs that they show on the packet because the sugar alcohols affect me like carbs and I need to monitor them closely. The Atkins M&M candies are satisfying substitutes for the real thing.and last a long time if you just suck on them slowly and let the rich chocolate melt in your mouth. The best part of the food program is that I am learning to make better choices and have decided that I must be on this program for the long-term. My goal is to eliminate my diabetic medication and to re-train my body. I do think cravings are often more biological than we imagine. Somewhere our bodies got out of whack and it can take a long time to overcome this. It's important to not develop bad eating habits in the first place because they lead to trouble later. Habits can be broken but it can be very difficult mentally, even torturous! Once I got past the first 6-7 days, I wasn't that hungry, just had to remind myself to reach for new foods. I didn't have tons of energy however, and felt lethargic. I still don't feel really peppy yet, but I don't feel bloated or have brain fog now. My advice for those beginning the program is to Prepare, Prepare, and Prepare some more, stocking up on foods you can have, and have them ready when the need strikes. Good luck to all. I look forward to learning more about everyone's success!
June 28, 2014 02:48 AM EST