<February 2013>
17181920212223

Getting Ready For Myth Busting With Atkins
Hello! Did anyone end up making the Kale chips we talked about last week? And the Kale dip? I want to know whose came out the best.

How was your week? I had an absolutely fabulous time with the girls in New Orleans. Thank you to everyone who sent me restaurant suggestions! Between all of you and the mobile app, I found loads of smart options. There were shrimp, crawfish, and Oysters at practically every restaurant, and I even found a low-carb gumbo. Gumbo Ya-Ya they called it- smoky, spicy chicken and sausage that was simmered, not thickened, with the rice on the side.

For snacks they had gator on a stick (which is the body meat of the gator) and gator bites (made from tail meat), which I had blackened not fried.

Next week Atkins is coming to visit me here at “The Talk,”, and I can’t wait because we’re going to be myth-busting!  I’ll be reading some common beliefs about weight loss and Atkins, the audience will vote on whether or not they think it’s true, and then Collette Heimowitz – VP of Nutrition and Education at Atkins, will be giving us the facts!

Atkins is also bringing lots of goodies for the audience members, which you can enter to win too! They are giving one goodie bag away in the Atkins community and one on their Facebook page, so be on the look out for details.

But back to the myth busting, do you have any dieting or Atkins myths you are curious about? Maybe Collete can help me answer your questions too.

All my love and support,

Published Friday, February 08, 2013 05:30 PM by Sharon Osbourne
Filed Under: Induction, Weight Loss, Nutrition, Personal observations & lessons learned
Comments
JayhawkinMexico said:
Sharon,

I'm so happy that you all are going to have Collete on your show! I think more people need to know about Atkins and hear that it's not a fad diet or a dangerous way of eating.

I wish the Atkins way of eating would become popular here in Mexico as the obesity rate has increased incredibly in the 10 years I've lived here. A doctor friend told me that more than half of Mexicans are overweight or obese...up from about 15% in 2000. While the diet here is high-carb, the biggest culprits impacting obesity are sugary sodas, snack cakes and chips.

Congratulations on your weight-loss success! Way to go!

Thanks, too, for blogging. You've inspired me to keep going on my journey.

Take care and thanks again for your contributions to the Atkins community!
February 08, 2013 05:44 PM EST
sciondiva said:
Hi Sharon,
I just started Atkins again about 8 days ago. I like to drink Crystal Light peach tea mix but someone told me that each 8oz glass can be considered 1NC. I drink about 6 glasses of it a day. Please tell me they are wrong. Also I like Eclipse sf gum. Says no carbs but someone told me any sweetener is considered 1NC per serving. Help!
Is this true?

Love ya,
Maggie
February 08, 2013 06:21 PM EST
Jayhawkin, do you get The Talk in Mexico? Tell me more, have you lost weight on Atkins? Is your family on track?
February 08, 2013 06:21 PM EST
Maggie, that is a good question..let me find out!
February 08, 2013 06:30 PM EST
Pamela at Atkins said:
Maggie, You are only allowed 3 sweetener servings a day, so you could have 3 glasses of Crystal Lite, 3 pieces of gum, or a mix of both.
February 08, 2013 06:35 PM EST
Pamela, thank you.
February 08, 2013 06:39 PM EST
chubacabra said:
Sharon,
I'm concerned about the GMO's in artificial sweeteners, soy, etc.
Laurel
February 08, 2013 07:01 PM EST
princess110375 said:
Hi Sharon

I was on akins already and lost 100llbs then gained it all back and now im on it again, been on it for a yr now and i have lost almost 80lbs now.. i have a first goal to loose 100lbs.. then i will continue to my overall weight loss goal of 120lbs.. and then i will be maintaining.. im not going to quit i want to loose all my weight this time.. and it will feel good to know i did it all on my own with out any help of weight loss surgery. :) best wishes to you all and you look great Sharon.
February 08, 2013 07:34 PM EST
JayhawkinMexico said:
Hi Sharon,

Unfortunately, I don't have satellite and can't watch "The Talk" but do sometimes see parts of episodes online. I hope I'll be able to find the Atkins episode.

I have lost weight on Atkins. I started in mid-October and have lost 25.8 pounds with about 22 left until I reach my goal. My weight loss has been slow, but steady. I'm sure my age and the mediacations I take for blood pressure...now normal!...and to lower my cholesterol have affecte the speed.

My husband and I are both doing Atkins. He was actually the one that got us started on the program after a routine blood test showed he had diabetes. His most recent blood test in January showed no signs of diabetes, good cholesterol numbers and his triglycerides were cut in half! His doctor was very pleased with his blood work and his weight loss...35 pounds! His doctor decreased the medication he takes to regulate his blood sugar from three a day to one a day and will probably discontinue the medication at his next appointment in May.

I have to say that we've been on many diets over the years but have never been able to stick to any of them for more than a couple of weeks. Atkins is so satisfying and easy to follow. We have not cheated once...not even for Thanksgiving, Christmas, birthdays or our anniversary.

Thanks again for your support and promotions of the Atkins way of eating!

By the way, I double-checked my statistics on the prevalence of overweight people in Mexico. Actually, close to 70% of the population is overweight or obese!! Thrity percent are obese and 40% are overweight!
February 08, 2013 07:37 PM EST
jnitsch said:
I just started Atkins this week I have done it before with great results but I lost my way for awhile
Now I have lost about 10 pounds this week. I am super excited. I know I will have the willpower this time.
Thanks for your tips Sharon love you and the talk.
I will keep posted on my progress. I need to lose 60 pounds. I will do this for myself and my 2 yr old daughter Cecilia.
February 08, 2013 07:42 PM EST
happiness29 said:
Hi Sharon! Love watching The Talk, I will be sure to dvr the upcomong myth busting episode. I have done Atkins before and have had amazing results then unfortunatly fell back into my old, horrible unhealthy way of eating. But I am back ontrack again and am beyond thrilled with the new convinent frozen meals, they are all really delicious! The myth that I would love for you to bust is the 'Atkins is an unhealthy diet' myth. I can't tell you how many times I have told people I am on the Atkins program, and then they just badger me with a lecture about how 'dangerous' it is for me. Yet they have never read a single book or bother to find out any facts. I am happy with eating the Atkins WOE for the reat of my life. I am thrilled to have a positive celebrity figure like yourself representing the Atkins community. Keep up the great work ! :) ~Kimberly
February 08, 2013 08:23 PM EST
Golf Gal Cheryl said:
Sounds like a good show Sharon...will check it out. Do you know yet which day it will air? Going to try the kale chips...thanks for the tip. Cheryl
February 09, 2013 01:56 AM EST
chelle00c said:
Hi. I was also on Atkins several years ago. I was on it for over 3 years because I had someone that I was doing it with at the time and we kept each other motivated. But we went our separate ways and I have since gained all the weight back because the people I'm around most often now offer little support when I try to start back up and tell me that Atkins is not healthy. They say that it's essential to include carbs into my diet. I've tried a low fat diet though, where I included wheat rice and wheat bread, but I gained weight. It frustrates me because I was my skinniest and healthiest when I was on Atkins before. I'm trying to help them understand that Atkins is, in fact, a healthy way of life, so that I can get their support.
Thank you for your blogs. They're so helpful and hopefully, now that I'm starting Atkins again, I'll be able to have the body I used to have!
February 09, 2013 08:36 AM EST
cjr721 said:
I've been on Atkins about a month and have lost 7 pounds. I had a slip up on my birthday and it took me 2 more weeks to get back on track. I have adapted my cupboards with low carb everything and have even managed to satisfy my husbands sweet tooth with some yummy low-carb goodies from www.genaw.com. However, my husband is jumpin ship. He was doing Atkins with me but since not losing anything for 2 weeks, has decided he may not do it anymore, says he misses sugar too much and that the sucralose gives everything an aftertaste. I said fine, but I'll be damned if I'm going to revert back to sugar and regular flour for my baking (started using almond meal). Love you Sharon
February 09, 2013 08:39 AM EST
chelle00c said:
Oops, I meant brown rice in my last post. Not wheat rice. Haha
February 09, 2013 10:29 AM EST
Jessi713 said:
Hi Sharon, I tried kale for the first time 2 weeks ago and LOVED it. I will def try out these chips and dip. Thanks.
February 09, 2013 11:24 AM EST
kc82 said:
I always thought that the atkins diet was a crazy thing, that it's not a real thing, you cant go thru life without eating carbs. So, when my husband decided to do this diet, I thought I should support him and started reading about it, I found this website and read the lessons, the recipes, the meal planner and I started to understand the atkins life style better and decided to join him. I love this website, I dont have to pay for the information, I can talk to a lot of people going thru the same things I am, I can plan meals, track my weight and measurement. The bars and shakes are a plus, they help with the sweet craving and the busy times of the day. I wish more people could understand the atkins diet, because I get all strange looks when I say that Im on atkins and they tell me what I use to tell other people: you can not maintain this diet for life, because it is not real.
February 09, 2013 01:43 PM EST
gerrissister said:
Thank you,Sharon,for being an inspiration for us all to get healthy.I am going from being an old hag bag to a hot mama at 66.
February 10, 2013 03:55 PM EST
bmuncy said:
Sharon,

Thank you for being an inspiration to all of us on the Atkins program. I started in January and have lost 12 pounds. I keep jumping from 12-15 but I am wondering if the stall is from my using the bars and shakes on a consistent basis. Do the bars and shakes cause people, especially older woman, to stall in weight loss if used on a daily basis?

Thanks again for your inspiration...you look amazing.
February 11, 2013 09:42 AM EST
dmsedlier said:
Can you address the myth that Atkins doesn't work on people with a slow metabolism (I.e. a certain age group or medical reasons)? Also, people are under the belief that Dr. Atkins had heart disease when he died so the diet is faulty. Oh, and the one about Atkins causing kidney stones...I hear that one all the time!
February 11, 2013 10:44 AM EST
Chihiro said:
oooh I wish we could see your show here in Australia Sharon! I wonder if someone will YouTube the Atkins segment???

I'm so tired of fending off the criticism about Atkins being unhealthy that I no longer tell people I'm doing it - I simply say I have given up sugar and grains.

Your blog is great - how I wish we had the mobile app and the frozen meals here in Australia too!!!!!!! I don't understand why the app is USA only.
February 11, 2013 10:43 PM EST
rlutsey1st said:
I would love to lose weight with atkins but it is so hard with the prices. I am over weight at 210 and only being 5.5 buying Vegetables, meat and the bars/shakes ect it just gets too expensive. Its a shame in the world today that cheap food is junk, expensive food is good for you. I wish our society would do something about that. But I do love reading the articles and I am really happy for those who do indeed lose weight. It is hard I know, boy do I know. I do try when I can and I do lose hear and there, but like most tends to creep back on. Oh well who ever said life was easy. lol Everyone have a great day and Sharon keep up the good work, LOVE the show.
February 12, 2013 08:47 PM EST
rlutsey1st said:
OOPS done the comment under my husband, oh well he can stand to lose weight also. anyway thanks plutsey1
February 12, 2013 08:49 PM EST
JESEKAG said:
WHAT DAY IS THIS SHOW HAPPENING ON THE TALK? I WANT TO TAPE IT! THANK YOU!!
February 13, 2013 08:53 AM EST
Carmenle said:
Hi Sharon. I loved watching you on Americas Got Talent and on the talk. When I seen that you were doing Atkins you inspired me to do it. I have been wanting to loose weight since I've turned forty, I have been gaining weight everyday since then and nothing has worked. I have tried so many diets and exercise programs, but . I hadn't tried Atkins yet because I was nervous because I've heard to that it could be dangerous. Ive read that too much protein can cause high uric acid & gout...Is this a real concern? Also, did you ever have to add the broth or sodium to your diet like they recommend for light headiness or weakness? Did you add exercise to your Atkins diet plan? I want to to know that when I seen you on the commercial and how great you look, I decided I wanted to try it! After reading the plan it seem to a healthy option filled with whole foods and healthy choices. I truly hope this works. I am wondering will I ever be able to eat ice cream or cookies again? Thank you so much for giving us the hope and inspiration that we need to try it out for ourselves. Love you, Happy Valentines Day!
February 13, 2013 10:01 PM EST
brymoebear said:
Hello Mrs Osborne,
Thank you for taking the time out of our very busy schedule to share this with us. You look beautiful, as you always have. I have been doing the atkiins induction for 3 weeks now and have not lost weight. However, I may have dropped very few inches. I have referred back to the book for possible causes. I am on HRT med's, well up until this week:)
Heaven help the people in my house! I have been faithful to the program but find it hard to eat so much. I do eat as directed if all i can handle is a meal replacement bar vs actual food. do you have any other suggestions as i am bored with salads and eggs, chicken. I do not eat pork or any red meat ever. the atkin frozen meals are so hard to find in cookeville.
February 13, 2013 10:03 PM EST
Grammyw/kitties said:
SHARON, Where are we supposed to sign to enter the contest for the dinners for a year. I will be watching on Friday. Thank you for your support
February 13, 2013 10:26 PM EST
BunnydApt 1 said:
Sharon, Just saw "The Talk". You have inspired me to join in and lose the weight I need to. My husband has always been a big Atkins fan. I now have decided to give this a real try. You look great and your energy shines thru in the daily shows. Thank you for being a great support to all.
February 15, 2013 03:31 PM EST
drsuzy555 said:
You looked great on THE TALK! and the audience was so smart! I loved how the segment went, and showed the Atkins products along with Fresh alternatives! How Smart!
drsuzy
203/189/147 -17" in 7 weeks!
February 16, 2013 10:11 AM EST
nmeunier said:
Hi Sharon,
My husband and I did Atkins back when the bars were not so good and we did it all wrong eating all the bad fats, chicken wings alot, bologna, pepperoni. I know they are allowed but not all the time. We ran out of ideas and I soon quit and my husband did lose 35 lbs. but a lot of muscle too. We have tried everything. After seeing you on the Talk and knowing you were on Atkins, I started to investigate it and try the meals and recipes. We are only on introduction but we feel we can do it this time as a life style. Having our martini at night is tough to do without but worth it if we get results. We are a bit tired these first few days but I believe that is normal. Thank you for being an inspiration to so many.
February 20, 2013 10:27 AM EST
skeegan said:
Hello Sharon,

It's weird writing somenone you only see on TV. I just started the Induction Phase, and I am active, as I am in the Army so the physical fitness area is already a "go". I will try to find the show you did on Atkins on-line, but was wondering if you could tell me whether pork rinds is authorized and do you know of any meats that do not have nitrates or dextrose in them? I cannot find anything out there. I am assuming pepperoni and such is off limits due to the nitrates? I just tried the Atkins Frozen breakfast this morning and it was REALLY GOOD. I recommend that.
February 20, 2013 12:26 PM EST
skeegan said:
I was also wondering, since I am limoited for time most days, is it okay to rely heavily on the Atkins Products? I like the shakes, bars and so far the frozen entrees. Thank you.
February 20, 2013 12:28 PM EST
linkenmac said:
I believe it is ok to rely on the Atkins products. There are a few you should wait until after induction to enjoy, but otherwise, I think everything else is a go. I'm about 50% Atkins. I love my veggies and a good steak. You can always ask the nutritionist. It is really nice to have that resource available.
February 21, 2013 01:00 AM EST
skeegan said:
Thanks. I did see where some of them were good for Phase II and forward. I did not get those. I will ask the nutritionist. Some of the products are confusing.
February 21, 2013 05:41 PM EST
ivytoo said:
Dear Mrs. Osborn, I missed your show! I am so sad about that. Would it be possible to address some of the high points in your next blog? I know one myth I've heard over the years is that the Atkins diet causes gall stones (in the gallbladder). Was this addressed on the show. Again I am really disappointed that I missed "The Talk" the other day. You are doing a wonderful job as a spokesperson for Atkins (and on the show). Thanks for all you do!
February 23, 2013 12:13 AM EST
lshockley said:
Sharon, you are so beautiful and you absolutely ROCK! I just finished week 3 of induction and have lost 13.5 pounds. When I saw you have been doing the Atkins plan I was super excited. I think we need more celebrity role models for health...every bit of encouragement helps. I am a wife, mom of 8 and a pediatrician. I have read through the medical literature that supports this way of eating and it is rock solid. My plan is to get people hooked by my own example...we shall see what the next few months bring!
February 23, 2013 11:14 AM EST
chelle00c said:
Good point, Ivytoo. When I was on the Atkins diet several years ago I actually had to have my gallbladder removed. That is why I initially quit and was reluctant to start again. I am not sure if it was due to the diet itself and what I was eating, or if it was because I lost the weight so fast. I've always wondered. Since I have gained about 90 lbs since I quit the diet, and nothing else is working for me, I have actually decided to start again and I am hoping that it will help me and not cause any other issues.
February 23, 2013 02:00 PM EST
quickemeline said:
I'm a little confused. How long should I stay in the Induction Phase? HELP please... I haven't weighed myself but I feel much better without ALL the sugar in my body ;-)
February 23, 2013 04:16 PM EST
Melandian said:
I would like to know if Sharon eats the bars and shakes? People are telling me don't bc it's not on old diet????? Confused 😪
February 25, 2013 07:32 PM EST
wolfie911 said:
OH LORDY, I MISSED IT WHEN DID THE EPISODE AIR? I WORK 911 SO WE DO NOT ALWAYS HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY TO TUNE IT BAHHHH. BTW LOVE YOU SHARON!!!!!!!!!! AND KELLY IS FLIPPIN FABULOUS (JUST SAYIN).
February 26, 2013 08:20 AM EST
susanpetros said:
Is there a way to see the show you did online? I would love to see that. I too have just restarted. Been hospicing my mother - she finally died. Loads of stress and unfortunately - lots of weight gained over the last year since I had no life. Anyway - now it is me time and I am trying Atkins again - although I have the new book - I am using the original more strict one because I want quick weight loss. Any suggestions anyone?
February 26, 2013 11:11 AM EST
bflomum said:
I just began Atkins yesterday.... I was on it back in 2003-2004 and lost 53 lb! I'm a two yr post op Rny gal...down to 247 from 335... Have pcos.... Hoping to get to 195...
February 26, 2013 09:00 PM EST
beth0617 said:
Hello My name is Beth I just join the Atkins team, so far I have lost a total of 7 lbs in 5 days time.
I have always eaten just what I wanted to, but my older Sister Judy just passed away of Pancreatic cancer.
She had a diet of sweets and coffee in the morning, and nothing else the whole day long,
I guess this kind of eating took it's tole on her Body.
She died on this passed November 23, 2012 I miss her so much she was only 62 years old.
I decided I was going to make some changes in the way I myself have been eating.
I saw you ad in a healthy Living magazine, and downloaded your app on my cell.
I find I can eat more than I could ever want on the Akins diet.
I will let you know more latter how it works out for me.
February 27, 2013 09:22 PM EST
adkinsguide said:
I didn't notice the amount of sodium on the package of chicken and broccoli. I looked for the sugar and the protein. I then bought seven frozen meals. When I was waiting for the microwave to finish, I noticed the amount of sodium. I quit eating Smart Ones due to the high sodium. Why would this new product contain so much sodium?
March 07, 2013 12:57 PM EST
sweetjhara75 said:
Hi sharon, i am coming up on 1year on atkins April 16. I have lost 41 lbs so far. Myth-wise, i would like to address the idea that atkins is the "all-the-bacon-you-can-eat-diet." Even a nurse at work called it the "bacon diet" Commercial bacon contains sugar and nitrates (big no-nos) and yet it seems that even atkins veterans feel that bacon is a "free" food.
April 03, 2013 09:54 PM EST
MoandJohn said:
When you're on the Atkins diet your body needs more Sodium, it's a scientific fact, 2-3 grams a day more. That is because the diet is naturally diuretic so you excrete more Sodium and water. If you don't replace both you will get ill (old Atkins 'flu' because your body will preserve Sodium and excrete Potassium. So it makes sense to make Atkins products a bit higher in salt.
Just like fats, salt has been unfairly demonised - salt in appropriate quantities, with real food, is of benefit to your health. It is processed foods high in carbohydrates, chemical substances that aren't foods at all that are the real culprits in our food related health problems including obesity. I would recommend that everybody embarking on the Atkins diet buys and reads the book - it is so informative and interesting, and helps you to understand why the stuff we've been taught for the last 40 years is basically wrong. I'm an old-timer, and I love bacon (maybe around 3-4 times a week). The foods I used to fear are quite different from the foods I fear now - trans fats, hydrogenated vegetable oil, Frankenstein foods. I don't use Atkins products, I don't need to, my taste buds have changed and I find bars and shakes sickly sweet and cloying, but we're all on the same side! And I have time to cook real foods from scratch!
Sorry, Mrs Osborne for hogging your blog, (but some questions needed answers) you look great and I'm pleased that your whole family has benefited from this WOE,
April 27, 2013 02:40 AM EST