<November 2013>
17181920212223

How I'm staying on Track this Holiday Season
Hello! How are you? What's been going on? I just realized that it’s almost Thanksgiving and I haven’t even started preparing for the holidays! I've got so much to do, but before I jump in, I want to make a plan to stay on track this holiday season. Have a look at what I've written down so far and tell me your tips to add to the list.

1. Don’t shop and starve! Toss an Atkins bar in your bag or keep a few in the car so you don’t go without eating if you haven’t got time to stop for lunch. The longer I go without a snack, the harder it is to resist temptation.

2. Don’t get tricked by holiday packaging. All the coffee shops have the special holiday cups and the special holiday drinks out. It’s easy to get excited about it and forget what’s in those holiday coffee drinks. Skip the snowflake syrup latte and try adding heavy cream and some cinnamon or nutmeg powder to a regular coffee or espresso.

3. Stuff your turkey not your tummy! When there’s lots of food, we eat lots of it! Portion control is so important. I have to remind myself not to pile things on my plate just because I can.

4. If you go overboard, don’t abandon ship! We’re all human and we all have slip-ups. What’s important is what you do after the slip-up. Don’t get down about it and don’t throw away all your hard work. Get back on track at your very next meal.

5. Eat, Drink, and most importantly of all, BE MERRY! Enjoy the holidays, cherish the time you get to spend with friends and family. Don’t let food steal your focus.

All my love and support,
Published Friday, November 15, 2013 04:23 PM by Sharon Osbourne
Filed Under: Carb Balance/Carb Intolerance, Weight Loss, Exercise, Cravings / Problem foods, Personal observations & lessons learned
Comments
I'm serious! I want your tips!
November 15, 2013 04:41 PM EST
Yes! I love it! Do you have links to your recipes? Or have you sent them in for the cooking contest?
November 15, 2013 04:59 PM EST
JayhawkinMexico said:
Last year for Christmas, I made Rock Cornish Game hens, stuffing made with Revolution Rolls from www.genaw.com and the Just-Like-Baked-Potatoes, also from the www.genaw.com web site. This year, we'll probably have the same thing since it all was delicious. I'm going to make the Revolution Rolls a little further in advance, though, so they have more time to dry out first. The stuffing was a little too wet for my taste. Thanksgiving is not a big holiday for us, but I'll probably make chicken roll-ups and a salad. My husband and I decided that we just don't have control over sweets, so I don't make anything that resembles a dessert. We don't feel deprived at all. How could anyone feel deprived following this way of eating with all the great foods we can eat? Take care! Happy Low-Carb Thanksgiving and Merry Christmas!
November 15, 2013 06:50 PM EST
suelss said:
I will be happy with turkey, green beans. My cheats will be a spoonful of stuffing and gravy on my turkey. I plan on bringing my low carb pumpkin pie with a pecan crust. I am not even going to tell anyone it is low carb. My high carb husband loves it. I am not going to be perfect, nor will I make a big deal about my special diet, but I think I will do okay. After all, it is just one meal, and not my favorite anyway. My splurge will be Christmas Eve when we make tamales. I won't say no to that--again, it is just one meal!
November 15, 2013 07:59 PM EST
JYoung508 said:
I will be sticking to my low-carb guns for Thanksgiving and Christmas this year. I'll be enjoying protein-packed ham and turkey, seasoned green beans, sweet potatoes with butter, and broccoli with melted cheddar cheese. I'll leave the taters, rolls, and dessert for the others! I will be joining the gym Sunday, 11/17/13. With my fitness routine, my ACE is around 60 grams a day. I weight194 lbs now, and my goal is around 170 by March.
November 15, 2013 08:19 PM EST
aeonflux1 said:
i actually started atkins last year in sept. i was 215lbs i am now at 165 and maintaining until march. in march i plan to decrease carbs and drop another 15 lbs but my doctor has told me not to push it to hard which is why i backed off for now. i certainly need to maintain through the holidays. i plan to eat turkey , greens and avoid all the sugar. i will probably have a small sliver of pumpkin pie. i have some pumpkin coffee that i have with cream and splenda when i get the special coffee cravings and i always keep some mio to enhance my water so i dont drink sodas.
November 15, 2013 09:31 PM EST
dmilam said:
We are invited to families for Thanksgiving, that do not follow low carb, so I will be enjoying the turkey, green beans and salad. Since it is only one meal I plan to focus on the people and not the food. If I want my traditional "leftovers" I will make a turkey with Atkins dressing on Friday and mashed cauliflower. I also like the recipes from the food network site "Low Carb and Lovin it" by George Stella. I am hosting Christmas, so we are having Chicken Cordon Blue. I use a breading mixture of pork rinds, ground nuts and parm cheese. Grean beans almondean and roasted root vegetables. For dessert I plan to have several choices. Cheese cake, chocolate torte, berries and creame coffee.
November 16, 2013 10:26 PM EST
delock said:
This is the hardest time of the year for overeating and I need to start now for the rest of my life to make better choises in food to live a healthy life and be around to see my grandkids grow up. I plan to get the book to understand how carbs work on me. I love food and now my heart is suffering from it; what an irony.. I'm 58, hbp,angina, 280lb, 5".4 ,bad knees and hip and just walking is my active exercise, so eating is what I need to control most and what not to eat to keep me obese.Weight problems start at my birth with overfeeding of sweet formula mix, and it's going to be a fight for healthy life, but I love a challenge and is in need of help, on disability. Don't get me wrong, no poor pity chubby me party, I know how this happened and as the doctor's on different occasions have stated " but you carry it so well " the number on the scale that is, you don't look that heavy! I say bite your tongue Doc ! then they say don't eat bread, etc. I just had my gall bladder removed and doc says; low fat , no salt, no beef (negiotated beef 2x a month), see I just confused on what to eat and this is reach out for help on simple meals or books found helpful, grocery list, snacker tip, sweet tooth tricks on how to succeed so I can post my success and help the next me somebody. Am I asking for the impossible, don't know, just want to live a healthier life.( I also, decided not to have the lap band surgery - due to still having to eat correctly and if not you can get obese again) Season Greeting to Healthy Eating 2013
November 17, 2013 03:07 PM EST
dmilam said:
Delock, Start with your Dr and an Atkins Nutritional Book there are several editions out there. But you need a good Dr/dietitian and the book to guide you. Then there are several Atkins recipes on this site as well as Atkins cookbooks. With a little practice you will get the hang of different foods and seasonings. Before I started Atkins I didn't know I would like roasted root vegetables. They are completely changed when roasted, and they make the best addition to chicken soup. Good Luck!
November 17, 2013 11:38 PM EST
stunning57 said:
My beautiful 28-year-old daughter just lost about 8 lbs on the Induction Phase (1); she looks great and is motivating me to release my extra weight once and for all. My husband loves Thanksgiving, so we'll have everything available to eat, but I know I'll be happy with turkey, green beans and whatever other veggies are on Phase 1. Christmas is my big deal (well, EVERY Holiday and anything made with sugar, to be exact!) I'm flying out for Christmas this year and I'm giving myself 1 month to get into the smaller jeans and other fun winter clothes. Good luck, everyone!
November 18, 2013 01:23 PM EST
albond0071! said:
Just started on the induction; down 11 pounds and loving it. Thanks for everyone's positive and motivation to keep a chin up for the holidays. The recipes are great. Have a wonderful Holiday and best wishes and happy weight lose.
November 18, 2013 06:40 PM EST
cswilson35 said:
Like several people, I will be going to my favorite family to share the holiday. Sounds like my plan is similar to others: Turkey, green beans and salad. My concentration is on family. The family frenzy has already started with the sabotage talk: "oh, you can go crazy for one day." Fortunately, my resolve is stronger and I'm liking the way I feel. They can eat all of the high carb foods and I will enjoy sticking to my plan. I'm hoping that my results will be an inspiration to others. That would be something to give thanks for!!
November 25, 2013 09:57 AM EST
dkmc2 said:
I have lost 22 lbs on atkins since aug. I am still stugleing to lose 45 lbs but I love all the insparation from all the folks here
November 27, 2013 12:42 AM EST
ecur said:
I have never in my life lost 7 pounds in a 10 days.! 53 year old woman who has been sidelined from exercise due to herniated discs. Last summer I hiked the grand canyon, this summer laid in bed all summer. 15 pound gain over 4 months was scary.. I decided January 1st - New Years Resolution - drop 20 pounds. I'm on my way. I have been very strict these past 10 days such cravings for sweet til i discovered the atkins bar - now i am happy . No wine though but next Friday night - one glass!!!!!
January 10, 2014 02:38 PM EST
susanpetros said:
At this point food is my focus. I plan my whole day's food out in the morning - I am so grateful that I am not starving on this. I am glad I can eat real food, but until I get back into the swing of things, food has to be my focus.
February 09, 2014 05:58 PM EST
Millerfarm said:
Well I have recently become a non smoker. So now I need to work on weight I just started two days ago and didn't do well. Only thing I did well is drink tea. So I was looking for inspiration.
March 04, 2014 12:06 AM EST
stella kempisty said:
Mrs. Osborn. Huge fan of you and your family. Even the daughter we don't know. Lol Also big daily fan of the talk, and your buddies on it. So it is because of you and the commercials of Atkins you are in that I have decided to get healthy at this age (56)for my grandchildren. To be around longer and healthier. Today is my first day. Off to a good start. I signed up and read up here while on my excersise bike. I love food period! So I will have to relearn much. Thanks for being exactly who you are at all times. Don't change that for nothin. Respectfully, Stella Kempisty, 244 pounds today but not tomorrow.
March 12, 2014 03:45 PM EST
darkasnite27 said:
I love watching you and nice to hear we have something in common. I am having a bit of trouble starting out because i feel week and nauseated and tired alot. DISCOURAGED. But I want to press on. What are some suggestions you might have for me. I am at 220 and my goal weight is atleast 170. I can't seem to grasp the protein thing. I either eat too much or too little. Anyway I'm glad to be a part of this and need support. Thanks for taking time to read.
March 13, 2014 05:33 PM EST