<October 2013>
20212223242526

Don't Sew Anything to Your Tongue!

Hello! How are you all doing? I want to hear what’s going on, who’s got something to celebrate? Who needs some support? Go on, let’s hear it!

Last week I went on “The Doctors” to talk about how I’ve finally overcome my life-long struggle with my weight through Atkins, and that is definitely something to celebrate! It was great to talk about this with Dr. Travis and Dr. Ian because they were able to help me bust some myths and answer health questions as only doctors can.

They’re a tough group, and right after they praised my decision to get healthy on Atkins, they drilled into me about the dangers of some of the things I’ve tried in past years to lose weight and introduced me to the most shocking, outrageous diet I’ve ever heard of, the tongue diet. I cannot believe people are allowed to do this! They put you under anesthesia and sew a patch to your tongue so eating solid food is very uncomfortable and you have to do a liquid diet.

They said the average person who does this loses 16-20 pounds in the 1 month that the patch is on.  There was a woman sitting in audience who had just had the procedure done the day before, and you could see the stitches in her tongue from the stage. I felt so bad for her. Not just because she had to be in pain, but because she would think that she literally had to torture herself to lose 16-20 pounds! I jumped out of my seat!

I lost 11 pounds in my first two weeks on Atkins, and in 6 weeks, I lost 23 pounds.  That’s a similar amount of weight. I know what it’s like to be in that woman’s position and be willing to do crazy things to lose weight, but if you’ve tried Atkins, you know you don’t have to!

Don’t sew anything to your tongue!

All my love and support,

Published Friday, October 18, 2013 02:45 PM by Sharon Osbourne
Filed Under: Carb Balance/Carb Intolerance, Weight Loss
Comments
How ridiculous!! Would you ever?
October 18, 2013 03:12 PM EST
laika123 said:
You look beautiful.
October 18, 2013 03:20 PM EST
annfink47 said:
I watched you on TV on Americas Got Talent and enjoyed watching. I have not watched since you let. I had gastric bypass 5 years ago and have maintained most of my weight loss until this year. I have gone back into the stress eating habit and I am having a hard time breaking it. I can only eat very small amounts of food at a time but thought about going back to Atkins to get off the 15 pounds I have gained back. I had lost a total of 108 pounds. Any suggestions from you? I am the type person that needs the support to stay on track.
October 18, 2013 03:23 PM EST
ChrisMitch said:
And then what? After your tongue is back to normal? The beauty of Atkins is actually LEARNING a sustainable eating strategy and how our bodies interact with food so we have a strategy to not just lose the weight but keep it off.
October 18, 2013 03:59 PM EST
laika123 thank you, I love your blouse!
October 18, 2013 04:07 PM EST
annfink47 Have you read the post I wrote about my stomach surgery? I gained back all the weight I lost with the surgery and had to have the band removed. My problem was that I was an emotional eater, and it wasn't until I addressed the emotional eating that I was able to get healthy. It's good that you're able to recognize that you're stress eating again. Now you've got to take steps to prevent yourself from falling back into all those old habits. Atkins is good because there is a structure, you plan out your meals and snacks, and you know what you should be eating, so you don't end up stuffing food down to stuff away the stress. There is loads of support in the Atkins community. Get their starter kit, it has all the information and it's free. Give it a go! I want to see you keep off that weight you lost. Don't fall down the same trap I did!
October 18, 2013 04:24 PM EST
ChrisMitch, you're spot on! I said the same thing to the doctor who was performing the surgeries! I can't imagine how awful it would be to not only go though that surgery, but then to gain the weight back again.
October 18, 2013 04:27 PM EST
ChrisMitch you look fabulous by the way, love your picture!
October 18, 2013 04:28 PM EST
ChrisMitch said:
Thanks, Sharon! It's been a long, slow journey, but a constant progression in the right direction. My promise to myself is no shortcuts... has to be my way of life from here on out.
October 18, 2013 05:29 PM EST
JayhawkinMexico said:
Hi Sharon, It's crazy what people will try to lose a few pounds, especially when they could do it with delicious foods and without hunger on Atkins. I'm celebrating my latest blood test results. My HDL cholesterol went from 32 in July 2012 to 55 in February 2013 to 71.5 this week. And, my triglycerides went from a staggering 624 in July 2012 to 82 in February to 72 this week! My doctor will be so pleased! My husband, who has reached his goal and even has gone a bit below his goal, continue to walk for exercise. We walk 90-105 minutes a day, six days a week. We also do some exercise at home...crunches, wall push-ups, leg lifts, toe touches and work with resistance bands. We're both getting muscle definition and losing some of the loose skin we developed after losing weight. We feel better than we have in decades and have far more energy and stamina. Thanks for all you do to promote Atkins! And, thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts with us and to respond to our posts! It means a lot! Take care! Cindi
October 18, 2013 07:37 PM EST
JayhawkinMexico said:
I should have said...My husband and I continue to walk. Wish there was an edit button on the comments!
October 18, 2013 07:39 PM EST
mamayamaha said:
Hi Sharon. I had done the Atkins diet many years ago and lost 40 pounds in 5 months! I didn't stick with as I had reached my goal weight. Well we know what happened, I gained it back eventually and then quite a lot more. It has been many years now and with raising four kids by myself, and well my nickname is bad luck Jo. lol Even my doctor says he has never met anyone with the kind of bad luck that I have. hahaha Anyway from stress eating and now being disabled after 28 yrs. of nursing and not being able to do much exercise at all I became grossly obese as it is called. I tried the Atkins diet a few times and never made it past 24 hrs. due to nausea. I pushed through it this time and after I saw you on a show discussing the atkins advantage diet I decided to try the shakes and bars. They are absolutely a life saver. For some reason I do not seem to do well with the bars, even one a day will cause me to NOT lose a pound, but I can have a shake a day and be just fine. I find it actually effortless to lose now and I really need to lose for my health (herniated discs) as well as emotional well being. I'm so glad I saw you talking about the diet as it was very inspirational. Keep up the good work please and thank you.!
October 18, 2013 11:55 PM EST
mamayamaha said:
Oh forgot to say I lost 22 pounds in two months! Sorry for the long speech. My friends say if I had my own talk show I would do all the talking. hahahahaha
October 18, 2013 11:58 PM EST
KristineCanada said:
I'm celebrating that after 6 weeks on Atkins and 17 pounds gone, I have decided that I will not be having weight-loss surgery.
October 19, 2013 05:19 PM EST
Punklydunkly said:
HI Sharon, I watched your interview on T.V. Looks as though we are the same age and that was inspiring - I had gotten to the point thinking it was impossible to lose weight at "my age" . I have about 22 pounds to lose also, and short like you so those 22 lbs look more like 50 - been on diet for 12 days only down 3 lbs..... ( I am a vegetarian also, so I am told it goes slower for us....)
October 20, 2013 12:51 AM EST
eburnell said:
I've seen your Atkins commercials. I really need to lose weight to control my blood sugar. I'm starting today. Thanks for the encouragement!
October 25, 2013 09:47 AM EST
stephlynnallen said:
I'm thinking about starting the diet today. I am excited! Some friends of mine have had great results!
October 25, 2013 11:05 AM EST
tamiesue2 said:
Tongue diet?!! No thank you, I prefer a diet where I can have a juicy 6 ounce steak with a steamy vegetable anyday!!
October 26, 2013 01:41 PM EST
Leslie Nafzger said:
I started Atkins this past week and it seems That it may be the way for me. I have a huge amount of weight to lose. But so far---I am not hungry, weird for me lol
October 26, 2013 11:43 PM EST
cswilson35 said:
There are lots of crazy diets out there. It just proves that most people are in search of an "easy fix." Let's be honest! There is no easy fix. It takes hard work, determination and will power to change a lifestyle and, sometimes, a life long pattern of unhealthy eating. Most of us didn't even realize that it was happening until one day we look in the mirror and wonder what happened! Portions in restaurants are sized to feed a family of three! I learned a long time ago to ask for a To Go box as soon as the food is served in any restaurant and to immediately box half of the serving. That way I'm not tempted to eat everything, just because it is there! I have lost weight before and kept it off for many years and then, as I got older, I noticed the weight creeping back on, slowly (as if trying not to be noticed.) Then I had to go on blood pressure and cholesterol medicine and discovered that just thinking about losing the extra weight wasn't working. I don't want fad diets or diets were you have to buy there meals because you don't learn anything about yourself and your eating habits. And then when you are done, you return to old eating styles and wonder why the weight is coming back. My goal is to have my doctor take me off the blood pressure and cholesterol medications when I see him in February. I'm not running a sprint here. I'm doing this the right way, losing pounds slowly, and eating healthy on the Atkins plan. So far I've lost 11 pounds amd have 22 to go and I've been on the plan for three weeks. This may not seem like much of a success to some but to me it is an encouraging step. I'm not losing weight for anyone else but me! And it is wonderful to know that I am in control. When I did this before, I was in a relationship and my significant other tried to undermine me at every step. I don't have that anymore. In fact, yesterday I cooked a Mexican fiesta for my youngest son's birthday with all kinds of foods that he loves and I love but doesn't love me (a couple of inches on the hips at least.) I ate with them but ate salad and had a wonderful time. Now I need to learn how to cook low carb for a crowd!
November 04, 2013 10:16 AM EST
leane said:
Hi Sharon, First let me say you look wonderful. You have a healthy glow. I listened to a pod cast from Jimmy Moore's Livin La Vida Low Carb show where he interviewed the registered nurse that worked with Dr.Atkins for 30 years. She is so interesting to listen to. I think it was show 747. You might some things very informative on that show. And for the rest of us. Jimmy Moore's livin La Vida Low Carb show is very helpful.
November 07, 2013 09:17 PM EST
bensgirl2 said:
You give me hope, Sharon. When you said, "I was once 230 lbs..." Well, I'm 230 lbs. now--on a 5'1" frame! I'm heavier than I've ever been in my life. I'm uncomfortable and unhealthy. I now have high blood pressure, acid reflux disease, insomnia... I'm also embarrassed and heartbroken that I've let myself go this far. But, truly, you give me hope. It's encouraging to know someone such as yourself who has lost the weight and looks so beautiful has been where I am. Thank you so much for your story and encouragement. I look forward to reading future posts from you.
November 15, 2013 09:15 AM EST
tvcable said:
Hi Sharon, My husband and I started Sunday. It is nice to do this together. I lost 5 pounds in 2 days, then only a pound since. Is this normal? But on the other hand, people have told me they see a change and my jeans are fitting different. We have not cheated, but a couple of days our carbs went to 22. Going to finish out week strong and hoping for a good second week. I like the fact the you add carbs back in a little at a time until you find what works for you. And all the veggies have got to be good for you. Thanks for taking the time. Would like to know about your first weeks, how you felt. I am full but sometimes i just want something. That is when i grab jello or pork skins. Did you get tired in the afternoon. The afternoons have been hard on me.
November 15, 2013 02:14 PM EST
jcombs75 said:
Sharon I know your busy but i need your help, I have a 17 year old daughter who is overweight as with myself I weigh 264 And she weighs 273 we both have discussed her eating and lifestyle not exercising and mine too to where we both agreed we wanted to try the Atkins diet Please help me I dont want to steer her in the wrong direction and have her hurt in the end she is such a beautiful young lady and i want her to be healthy and happy. Thank You For Your Time, Julia
November 23, 2013 04:00 AM EST
Kretch said:
I have been on Atkins for three months, I have only lost 14 lbs. I can't for the life of me figure out why it is coming off so slow, when I hear others rave about how much they have lost. I have been swimming in the pool, and faithfully eating and tracking, is my age a factor I am wondering, 65 years young. Help, not giving up!!
December 11, 2013 02:26 PM EST
Hairdiva50 said:
Hello Sharon, I am coming off of another program that I was happy with the results but not the program. To me it was not a sustable maintenance program. I really want to be able to lose not just 10 or 20 lbs, but get to my goal weight. I was about 5 lbs away from my goal when I was on this program. I am also a runner and a belly dancer, but the truth is. I was not happy on this program. I love structure and I felt after the program all over the place. I think with Atkins I won't have that. I have only been on for a few days and I have to say I'm a little frustrated because I have not lost any weight, but I know I will. I have every intention to not only lose this 30lbs I need to lose, but I know that I can keep it off with people like you supporting people like me to keep going. Thank you so much. You look beautiful. My picture is me about 5lbs from my goal. That's were I want to be soon. Take care.
January 22, 2014 02:36 PM EST
mjudith52 said:
Hi Sharon. I liked what you said about liking to eat. Me too!! That is why I think this will be a life changer for me. If I want to eat, I can just go eat. Without feeling bad about it. I've always thought you were beautiful!
February 16, 2014 12:09 PM EST
colturk said:
Hi Sharon I love watching you on the Talk. You are my inspiration. You are awesome. I have been on atkins two weeks and down 7 pounds. I am loving this new lifestyle. :)
February 24, 2014 02:18 PM EST