<November 2012>
18192021222324

My Experience with Stomach Surgery
Hello! I hope you all had a fabulous Halloween, it is one of my favorite holidays.

I love hearing what you all have to say, and so I'm always reading your comments on the blog and on Facebook. I want to say thank you so much to everyone who has shared words of encouragement with me there, it really means a lot. I noticed that a few of you have asked about my stomach surgery, so I thought this would be a good opportunity to share my experience.

I had a band put on my stomach 13 years ago, and I lost about 125 pounds. Then I put on 25 pounds. Then it went up to about 40 pounds and I had the band removed. At the time, the surgery was big in Europe, but I was one of the first people to have it done in America, so I was a bit of a guinea pig here for it.

The band was not the solution to my weight struggles, as I had hoped it would be. It was just like everything else, you find a way around it. And I found out that if I had a glass of wine, it loosened it up and I could eat whatever I wanted, so it became redundant. It's taken me 60 years to realize that it's not about a diet. It's about a life change.

If you’ve heard that before and you’re thinking it’s much easier said than done, you’re right. That is why I’m so happy I found Atkins. They’ve helped me make the changes that have freed me from my struggle with weight and set me up to live a longer, healthier life.

All my love and support,

Sharon.

Published Thursday, November 08, 2012 12:01 PM by Sharon Osbourne
Filed Under: Weight Loss, Personal observations & lessons learned
Comments
I have a few minutes to chat if anyone has comments.
November 08, 2012 12:10 PM EST
okirishchik said:
What do you recommend now to anyone considering surgery despite repeated attempts to lose weight on their own. I have PCOS, which is making it extremely difficult to lose weight. I also have osteoarthritis and degenerative disk, which makes it hard to exercise with no pain. It has also caused me to be crooked. I can walk and do yoga. My doctors are pushing for surgery. I know you are on Atkins now, but if you have some advice to give, I would appreciate it.
November 08, 2012 12:14 PM EST
tamikennedy said:
Hi Sharon,
This is my third time on Atkins and I have lost over sixty pounds! (About 55 to go).
I have found new ways to enjoy food that I didn't know about in the past. There are low-carb condiments out there and I am discovering new ways to prepare my foods all the time. One of the things I do is put a couple of splashes of Frank's hot sauce in my burger and wrap it up in a large lettuce leaf with mayo.
Unsweetened Almond and Almond-coconut milk is fabulous as well!
I am metabolicly resistant due to thyroid issues, therefore, I have lost interest quickly in the past and went back to my old way of eating. This time, I have poured myself into this and really have become creative. Also, when I "cheated" in the past, when I was doing the Atkins lifestyle, I would feel like such a failure and give up. This time, it's a way of life. I can get back on the program and care about what goes into my body, I can be in control, and I CAN enjoy this way of life by eating a variety of foods. No sense being hard on yourself, just aware of yourself.
I love ya! and god bless you and your support-Tami K
November 08, 2012 12:19 PM EST
ma ma said:
Nice to see you on here. Heard you had surgery this week.
November 08, 2012 12:19 PM EST
debbily said:
Thanks for sharing your story! I love reading your blogs, I find them to be very encouraging! I have hit my goal weight but am finding it a little hard to stay on track now. I dont know why, but the old carb creep in coming in. I read all the blogs for support and love hearing about the success stories. It does help me to stay on track. I have the best of intentions, but I am an emotional eater and stress plays a huge role in it. Right now my life is very stressful. So thank you for sharing, it is a lifestyle change and I need to be reminded of that!
November 08, 2012 12:20 PM EST
Sue1898 said:
Sharon, I really enjoy reading your blog and Facebook posts...you are truly inspirational. Thanks for sharing your experiences on this journey with all of us!
November 08, 2012 12:25 PM EST
Okirishchik - Have you tried Atkins? (I know you said you've attempted to lose weight several times)
November 08, 2012 12:26 PM EST
Tami - It's great to hear your story. I applaud your commitment to your body and your health. I couldn't agree more that variety is important, and hot sauce is a fabulous condiment!
November 08, 2012 12:30 PM EST
frankhebda said:
I have did atkins for 3 years and have lost almost 90lbs.....a few more to go and i have reached my goal
November 08, 2012 12:30 PM EST
Sue - I'm so glad you can relate, isn't that a great feeling?
November 08, 2012 12:36 PM EST
Debbily - what food do you find yourself craving?
November 08, 2012 12:38 PM EST
frankhebda - you should be so proud. How has your life changed in 3 years? Are you healthier, more active?
November 08, 2012 12:48 PM EST
loveneverends said:
Started about 3 weeks ago… down 14lbs, and feeling great! Love your blogs! So great to see a celebrity be honest about it taking dedication and work to live healty and lose the weight. Thank you, Sharon!
November 08, 2012 12:55 PM EST
loveneverends - Congratulations on your weight loss, it's good to hear that you are feeling great as well, that's so important. I find myself doing more, do you?
November 08, 2012 01:02 PM EST
sixisenuff said:
Thanks for sharing this. My husband has been considering gastric bypass or lap band and for this very reason I have cautioned him about the procedure. So many of the food restrictions thereafter are similar to the Atkin's lifestyle, I am trying to promote this program first. Furthermore, the surgical risks, the long term risks and the potential for regaining the weight just seem too substantial for my liking. It does help to have someone's story to make it real!
November 08, 2012 01:05 PM EST
sixisenuff - It's really about making the lifestyle change. For me it was miserable having the band and still trying to binge on junk food, which is why I started loosening it up with the wine. I had to get to the root of my weight issues, which was my lifestyle choices. I can't say what is right for anyone else, but the band can add to your problems, and even create additional problems. This is something he should definitely consider. Also, I'm much happier now, I feel good, and that is just as important. He is very lucky to have you.
November 08, 2012 01:34 PM EST
Superkitsune13 said:
I've struggled through my unhealthy mindset, I've been wanting to do what I've known for years, which is to eat tons of junk food just to do it, and eat fast food everyday because it made me feel better. But Atkins has really helped me through getting past those thoughts. I eat with purpose, have lots of energy and have lost 25 pounds so far. I'm glad you're finding success through Atkins as well Sharon, always happy to read your updates.
November 08, 2012 02:07 PM EST
superkitsune13 - Yes, I used to do the exact same thing, and I had to finally own up to that behavior. Congratulations on your weight loss, but most of all congratulations on changing the way you look at food. I also have loads more energy. Don't you feel a certain freedom now that you've overcome those thoughts?
November 08, 2012 03:23 PM EST
loveneverends said:
Feeling more energetic, I think too =) and finding that I'm more open to trying foods that I never really thought I liked before. Any tips for when you're really craving the carbs though? I'm finding the Atkins bars help me with this.
November 08, 2012 09:14 PM EST
dartguy said:
Glad to see you posting on here. I think you hit it on the head, we have to take responsibility and make the change for ourselves with a lifestyle change. I'm down 83 with another 37 to go, so the lifestyle change challenge is going to be maintaining this lifestyle through the holidays! But as they say - man up and take ownership - which I plan to do and I plan to continue to lose through the holidays and until I reach my goal. You have the ability to reach a lot of people, so keep sharing the word!
November 09, 2012 12:56 PM EST
mrsquart said:
Sharon,
I've been feeling pretty down about my physique lately, and this morning after feeding my 3 girls breakfast I decided to look at the Atkins website. I just turned 36 last week and my husband and I would really love to have 1 more baby. However, I'm still carrying all the baby weight from my third child, who is 4! I'm so glad I came on today. My hubby and I were huge fans of America's Got Talent and we especially loved your kindness to the contestants. I usually don't think of celebrity lives that much, assuming if I had more money to spend on my body that I'd be skinny, too, but seeing your blog made me realize again that celebrities are just people and they have to work at taking care of themselves, too. The thought of you counting your carbs somehow makes me feel that I can do it, too. I need to lose about 25 to reach pre-kid weight, but could stand to lose 40 to hit college weight. I know the research and that Atkins is a great way to go, but I'm an emotional eater, and my worst time is at night watching tv. I'm hoping to get back on the horse and not feel guilty about focusing on myself and getting my body healthier for many more years with my family and eventually (wayyyy down the road) grandkids, like you! Thanks for sharing your experience.
Michelle Q.
November 10, 2012 08:34 AM EST
cowpatty120448 said:
Hi Sharon, Pleased to meet you. I also had a bypass about 12 yrs ago. I had cancer, & other health problems, & ended up fat again. What I'm having problems with, is I can't eat the amounts required. My stomic is still small. Got fat from grazing on the wrong foods. Am I right in cutting the amounts in half? I did loose 12.5#s the first 2 weeks, but it has stopped. I get constipated all the time. It's very frustrating when I'm not cheating, & still not loosing. I hope you can give me some good advice, or tell me who I can talk to? Even tho I haven't lost anymore, I have lost a couple of inches since the last loss, 10 days ago. I have 68#s to go, so should be loosing very easily. I hope you can advise. And I agree with another, you were wonderful being a judge in that talent show. Thankyou.
November 10, 2012 11:37 PM EST
cowpatty120448 said:
ps....I found the Nutritionist's blog, that should help me. Lots to read. It is pretty cool to be able to talk to you tho. Oh, I meant the kind of judge you were, not just being one. Bye.

pps....Since I'm new here too, if you know a spot, or someone that I can ask questions to, I'd like to know. Thanks.
November 11, 2012 01:34 AM EST
trinasuccess said:
I am inspired to read this thread. I think I am always looking for the quick fix and the failure of cheating sends me into a spiral. I have been eating in a low carb lifestyle off and on since 2008. I lost 70lbs, but I have since put 20lbs back on over the last 2 years. I have never tried Atkins. I have only lived in a low carb lifestyle. I am going to give Atkins a try. I want to lose 10 lbs before Thanksgiving! I can do this! Thanks Sharon for your testimony.
I will give it my best. Any advice for what to do when you are fixing a giant Thanksgiving meal for about 13 people next Saturday?
November 11, 2012 09:34 PM EST
Allinthistogether said:
I can't imagine the pressure of being a TV personality while also struggling with weight issues. I genuinely hope that you are finding what you need here to give your body what it really wants, while experiencing true satiety and the ability to put food in its proper perspective. I know that's what I'm finding here, and I could not be more grateful!
November 12, 2012 03:20 PM EST
Virusna1 said:
Hi Sharon:

I want to thank you for posting this it has inspired me to stop thinking of my trials to lose weight as some sort of punishment and look at it as a life changing experience.
November 14, 2012 05:40 AM EST
Stigidy said:
Hello Sharon,
I want to say thank you so much for being so vulnerable and open to sharing with all of us your struggles and your successes. You are TRULY an Inspiration to me. Because of you I have decide to give Atkins a go. Thank you for motivating me to my weight loss goals.
On another note: My daughter met you on AGT Season Finale.. she sings with Flo Rida. Her name is Stayc. They performed his song "I Cry" for David Gerribaldi. She has a blonde and pink Mohawk. Well...I know you meet tons of people... just wanted to let you know.
Thanks again!

~ Stacy
November 15, 2012 11:08 PM EST
dvilleda0204 said:
Sharon! You are an inspiration to me ! You a part of why I started looking at atkins liifestyle again after not being on it for a while! I know my mistakes the last time and I finally joined this website which I didn't do at first, I only used the fb page and I have also bought the atkins endulge bars which are awesome. I hope to stick to it and thanks Miss Sharon for taking a little time out of ur busy schedule for posting and letting us all into ur life for a bit.
November 17, 2012 08:33 AM EST
mytang said:
It's December 9th. The last post i SEE is November 17...where is everybody???? I want to start getting this weight off. I have 60 lbs to get rid of forever...one last time...
December 09, 2012 11:56 AM EST
rosemarie328 said:
Hi Sharon,
While at Wal-Mart I saw your video regarding Atkins and it motivated me to give it a try. I am 64 and have put on 20 pounds in the past two years. Just tired of "getting fat" Started induction Sunday and reading the comments others wrote about how many pounds they lost has encourage me. Keep being a role model for folks in my age group.
RMM
January 14, 2013 02:56 PM EST
SULUSTAR said:
I had gastric surgery two years ago. I had the Sleeve, where they take out 90% of the stomach and fashion the rest into a sleeve, about the size of a hot dog. I lost 90 pounds, but unfortunately found I could eat more if I was eating carbs. The nutritional advise I got from the hospital was to limit carbs severely, I did not follow that last year, but recently went back on low carbs and have lost 14 pounds. Seven more to go before I get back to my 90 pound lose. I am glad I did the surgery though, because, the smallness of my Stomach helps me limit the amount of food I eat. I would never have lost the 90 pounds and I would have gained a whole lot more than I did if I had the rest of my stomach. Stomach surgeries were never meant to solve the problem, but only be a tool to help you lose the pounds. They told us that in the training sessions before the surgery. Like any tool, it has to be used, and used correctly to do the job. So, all of you, don't reject surgery just because you hear of someone who got heavy again, just make sure it is a tool you will use, if you get it.
January 16, 2013 05:55 PM EST
Sepayne said:
Hi Sharon! Just committed myself today to start the Atkins plan. I had gastric surgery 8 years ago and lost 100 pounds. Was maintaining until my husband lost his job and now I'm looking at 35 pounds to re-shed and banishing that stress eating. Anyhow, was so happy to run across your blog. I watch your show and was wondering what your secret was to keeping the weight off, now I know and I'm proud of you and looking forward to dropping some weight of my own! Take care! Hugs to you and yours!
January 28, 2013 08:51 AM EST
callalilly111 said:
Hi Sharon
I am going on 6 yrs with my Lap Band. I found after a 1 1/2 yrs that I lost all feeling of fullness at the top of my stomach. I have regained 50 lbs and I am really miserable with my band. I am now trying the Atkins diet and working in exercise so I can change my life habits to suit the real me. I know I can do it. You are an inspiration to me having had the Lap Band surgery and then having it taken out and proving that you can do it without the band. I would love to have my band removed but the cost is to much for me. I have the beginning of esophagus erosion from the band because of being able to eat more than I should because of not having feeling in my pouch. Last scope showed the erosion. I have done the research and feel Atkins is right for me. I am looking forward to this journey and someday getting this band out of my body.
February 02, 2013 07:58 PM EST
VANESSAN65@GMAIL.COM said:
Hi, Sharon.
2010-2012 was to strong for me.
My ex-husband family passway. First his dad, then his brother suicide, then his mother and finally his sister get a kidney transplant thanks GOD she is alive. After this event in ours life I start suffer PANIC ATTACKs.
I was with my ex like 14 years and after all that events hi pass for the bariatric surgery after five month he left me.
When we married his weight was 250 pounds and go up to 423 pounds. I can't believe we got divorce I love him so much and after all this the depression was horrible. I always think about the others and then about me.
I want to know how love myself and start the diet and go to 220 pounds to 160 at least.
You are a strong and admirable lady with everything through what has lived. I would like to have your courage to start a new life.
Congratulations for your eat style.
November 11, 2013 01:48 PM EST