<March 2014>
16171819202122
MsBluefish's Blog
Getting depressed...
Two days into my 2nd week of induction and I've lost 2.5 pounds. Today is the third day in a row I haven't lost or gained, and 4 days ago I gained 1.5 pounds. I've been trying to follow the plan -- getting about 21 net carbs per day & 1500-1600 calories. Eating lots of veggies. Spending 30-45 minutes on the treadmill each day. Not drinking any alcohol. :-(

My husband, on the other hand, has not been following the plan entirely (skipping meals, drinking wine, etc.) and he has lost 10 pounds!

Talk about frustration... I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Am I just not being patient enough?
Published Wednesday, March 19, 2014 03:01 PM by MsBluefish
Filed Under: Induction, Weight Loss, Plateau
Comments
betty1997 said:
My weight is also coming off very slowly. I've lost 10 pounds since Feb. 7. But it IS coming off! I think give it some more time. You wouldn't be considered to be in a "plateau" until you've gone 4 weeks without losing any weight or inches.
March 19, 2014 03:15 PM EST
wi woods said:
lol!! MEN!!! for what ever reason most men seem to be able to break all the rules and still loose weight. genetics I guess! I know its hard to stay offt the scale but, your weight can fluctuate several pounds on any given day. and its easy to get discouraged if we are fixated on the scale. hopefully you took your measurements when you started, if you didn't, I would recommend doing in now. sometimes we loose inches before pounds. but patients and persistence definitely play an important role. your carbs and calorie intake are rite on track, drink lots of water! I think your body will respond very soon!
March 19, 2014 03:22 PM EST
MsBluefish said:
Thanks to you guys for the words of encouragement! Yes, I did do my measurements. And I'm running to the bathroom about every five minutes, so I know I've been drinking more than enough water! I've been 201 for 3 days which is probably why I've been weighing every day. I am chomping at the bit to break that 200 mark! Hopefully I'll be blogging very soon about achieving my first goal. I think patience is key when changing your mindset.
March 19, 2014 03:38 PM EST
cabarejoshua said:
Hi Just let you know I have be on diet for 5 weeks and I have lost no weight I wish I could loss a few pounds
March 19, 2014 03:40 PM EST
MsBluefish said:
caberejoshua: Have you gone on the forums to see if they can help? There are a lot of people who on there who really know the Atkins diet & give good advice.
March 19, 2014 03:52 PM EST
being-there said:
Sometimes when you are burning fat but it is retained in the body's tissues as water for a time. Even though you are using the bathroom often, that's likely the flushing effect from the water you're drinking. Be patient - eventually the body lets go and your weight will drop, sometimes quite a bit. That's a pleasant day! Chances are that when it happens it's going to take you to.... "one"derland. Always a good feeling to see that 2 go away. And yeah, forget how men lose weight!!! They aren't humans. LOL Women's bodies are meant to squeeze maximum value out of every calorie so that the species can survive a famine.
March 19, 2014 03:54 PM EST
Caroll51 said:
You eat LOTS OF VEGGIES ??? That's why you don't loose! Dr.Atkins diet is a HIGH FAT / LOSSS CARBS, not the other way around! Have you read the induction in the REAL Dr.Atkins' book? There is basically NO veggies in the real book. You want to loose? Eat 1400 to 1500 calories a day if you are active. from that make sure 80% or MORE is FAT, 5% or LESS is carb, and the rest 15% is protein. You can reintroduce those veggies in phase 2. Try that for a full week and you will see what happened! I did NOT loose anything in 4 months with Colette's book now following the real Dr.Atkins book/diet I've lost about 15 pounds in a month or so. My sister lost over 100 pounds with the real Dr.Atkins diet! I bet you your husband don't eat a ton of veggies!!! Veggies stops and/or stalls weight loss in so many people, that's probably why Dr.Atkins, so smart, made sure to take them off induction and reintroduced after... Do you have HIS book? or you are trying to loose weight following Colette's book??? Your choice... Good luck! Joann
March 19, 2014 04:09 PM EST
PauletticusJ said:
What is it with men? I don't think they can hold water at all. I never hear a man complaining of feeling "bloated". But we, women seem to hold it all the time for no reason. I always hold it before and during my period, then it just floods out. But sometimes, as of the last couple days, I hold on to water for no reason. My ankles look bloated. I have always had an edema problem, and my doctor has even prescribed a pill to take to keep it under control. But I continue to drink boatloads of water. Some I pee out, but I am not peeing nearly as much as I am drinking, so my body is holding on to it for dear life. I have read numerous times about how your emptying fat cells just fill up with water to maintain their balance, then just end up releasing it because it is a hopeless cause for them. That is when you suddenly see a drop in pounds over a couple days. Well, since I have not lost any lbs in 2 days, and I am getting bloated, I expect to see a sudden drop in a few days. Or else I will POP. I am waiting to see what will happen first...
March 19, 2014 04:13 PM EST
MsBluefish said:
I'll try the higher fat thing -- it's just so hard to wrap my head around it. I haven't read any of the books -- just started online -- so I'm not sure which I'm following. Didn't even know there were two versions! Actually, my husband eats some veggies, but he's more into the "I can survive on two hard boiled eggs and 4 pieces of bacon until dinner" kind of diet. Then follow that with a couple glasses of wine. Thanks for the tips!
March 19, 2014 04:21 PM EST
Deborahg38 said:
Try also not exercising EVERY day, try every other day. Push water. UP the FAT!! A must. Try let veg. SOME people it stalls them for some reason. The 1972 Atkins book is the original version.
March 19, 2014 05:12 PM EST
mariettekathleen said:
My husband lost a lot faster..muscle burns fat faster. Hang in there. I found when my caloric intake was low it stalled my weight loss..1800 to 2400 and I dropped faster. Avocado shakes get things moving..use almond milk :) delicious!
March 19, 2014 06:43 PM EST
starchazr said:
Obviously your not alone in the slow loss race. I'm in week 3, and only down 5 lbs; I even gained 2 and then lost them.... keeping the loss to date at 5. It's very discouraging yes, but I must admit, I feel fantastic, I have energy, more energy than I've had in a long time. So if I lose very slow, but continue to feel this good.... I think I'll keep at it! :-) Stay positive, focused, and find that inspiration!
March 19, 2014 09:27 PM EST
MsBluefish said:
Thanks for the words everyone! I'm feeling much more positive & know this will be my path to success. A loss or a maintain is still better than a gain!
March 19, 2014 10:03 PM EST
ptapney said:
Used book stores or thrift shops area a good source for looking for the original books by Dr Atkins. 1972 and 2002 are the copies that I have. Joann (Caroll51) is RIGHT ON!! Are you using a method on-line to track everything? Atkins site or fatsecret or fitday. Most of us do not use the Atkins site for this. Yes, there are many of us who are slow losers....but we are still hanging in there and figuring it all out, sorta!
March 19, 2014 11:18 PM EST